Wednesday, January 11, 2023

It's time to be square

 

Before we begin today, I want to share something from last Friday night when the U.S. House of Representatives elected their new Speaker.  Introducing him was the minority leader-elect, Representative Hakeem Jeffries.  Although I am neither a Democrat nor a Republican, I was very impressed as he concluded his nearly 15 minute introduction where he spelled out the values of Democrats, in alphabetical order.  Here it is, if you haven't seen or heard it before. 

We will never compromise our principles. House Democrats will always put American values over autocracy. Benevolence over bigotry. The Constitution over the cult. Democracy over demagogues. Economic opportunity over extremism. Freedom over fascism, Governing over gaslighting. Hopefulness over hatred. Inclusion over isolation, Justice over judicial overreach. Knowledge over kangaroo courts, Liberty over limitation. Maturity over Mar-a-Lago. Normalcy over negativity. Opportunity over obstruction, People over politics. Quality of life issues over QAnon. Reason over racism. Substance over slander. Triumph over tyranny. Understanding over ugliness. Voting rights over voter suppression. Working families over the well connected. Xenia* over xenophobia. Yes, we can over you can’t do it, and zealous representation over zero sum confrontation (*xenia means hospitality).


Now for a bit of art.  Back on November 10, I created this Second Thursday tutorial.  Some of you will remember I created collage fodder based on a tutorial originally offered by Catherine Rains. 

  These were the pages I created and sorted according to light, medium, and dark values.  It was hard to decide on some of these pages whether they were medium or dark when I photographed them in my very dark kitchen late at night.

Here is Square 3.  This was like a jigsaw puzzle, where I attempted to place a light piece next to either a dark or medium piece I tore from each sheet.  

Thanks for dropping by today.  I am really delighted you chose to visit as I continue to play catch up from being offline for so long.


15 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Great words - let´s hope they live it, too!
Oh, I need to learn about colors....

Elephant's Child said...

All power to Representative Hakeem Jeffries. I hope he and his party can live up to those fine words.
And, as always, your art delights me.

Nancy Chan said...

Hope they will live out what they have spoken.

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I love your collage fodder pages!

Mae Travels said...

Yes, it’s worth highlighting the calm and normal demeanor of the Democrats again, as you did with your calendar as well as today. The irrational and unproductive approach of the Republicans makes their power very frightening.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

DVArtist said...

Mae wrote it perfectly. The republicans are already passing bills that will further destroy the US. The want for power has eaten at their brains and they will do anything and everthing evil to obtain it and keep it. Now for your art. I really love this style of art. Very nicely done indeed.

Linda said...

Good post and lovely art. I did not know that Xenia meant hospitality. My great grandmother was from Xenia, Ohio.

jinxxxygirl said...

Love your squares , circles and dots! Hugs! deb

Christine said...

Nice work.

Divers and Sundry said...

His words are inspirational as well as aspirational. What an encouraging look forward with hope instead of the agenda the GOP has set out.

CJ Kennedy said...

You mean when the Weaker of the House was elected after 15 rounds of voting and selling his soul to the Devil.

Beautiful pages. Love those blues.

My name is Erika. said...

I do remember your tutorial. It's fun to see another page you made with these. You can't go wrong with circles. hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

Lovely art and I love those blues. And yes -- that speech was beyond amazing. The ABCs were incredible.

Let's Art Journal said...

Gorgeous colours and your jigsaw of squares is amazing 😊. Happy and creative wishes! Hugs Jo x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Another comment that disappeared in less time than it took to write ! Great words! Love the colours in your collages. Hugs, Chrisx