Sunday, February 5, 2012

So you want to get started making an altered book (otherwise known as Lesson 1)!

Since you are here today, I believe you must want to learn more about creating an altered book. We will start at the beginning and work our way through until we complete our journey and many of our pages are altered. Hopefully this will jump start your altered book journey and you will continue to make these books or finish yours after the class is over.


I am sharing this post on CED, in hopes that I get a good audience for this class. It's not much fun if you are talking to yourself.

I'd like to begin by saying I'm having trouble with blogger repositioning my photos, as well as indiscriminately changing my font and font size. So, apologies for that, but it is definitely out of my control.

For those of you who have never seen my tutorials before, I am very precise with my photos. I have a lousy camera, and it doesn't take video, but I try to be as thorough as possible. However, I'm sure I will forget something that someone is curious about, so please ask in the comment section (below). After all, if you have the question, others probably will, too. And of course, I will add the information to the post. Please remember, these instructions are for anyone who has never picked a book to alter, or those who need a refresher.

Have you picked your theme? If not, you need to decide your subject matter. You might want to make something specific, or you might want to alter a book based on the techniques that we cover. It's totally up to you. You are the master of that choice.


Now that you have a theme in mind, let's begin by picking a book. Although there are NO RULES in ABs, this is one rule that can't be broken. You must use a book with a sewn spine.

Pick an old book that no one wants. Since it’s not garage sale season (at least not in the northern hemisphere where I live), your best bet is to check at your local library or college (university) for old, out of date books that can no longer be used or checked out. You can also get good books at second hand stores for around fifty cents and in bargain bins at your local book stores for around a dollar. However, the best place to find a good candidate is from your own bookshelf. If you’ve got a sewn book that you will never read again, by all means, pull it down, dust off the top (you know it’s true), and use it.

Remember, this book is unloved and unwanted, so you are actually recycling it, giving it new life, keeping it out of the landfill, and turning it into a masterpiece you will cherish forever. When I was in college, all my books were pristine. They looked like they had never been touched, or even opened. It took me awhile to overcome the fear of even adding a pencil mark in one, but altering a book is actually a GOOD thing.

Don’t pick a book that is so old the pages are brittle. It will be hard to work in and you will get discouraged quickly. Don’t pick a musty or moldy book because you will get a headache, sore throat, and various other ailments.

The size of the book is up to you. If you like working with small canvases, a book with smaller sized pages might be best. If you prefer larger canvases, pick a book with larger sized pages. The average sized book will be around 5 X 8 inches (12.7 cm X 20.72 cm) or 6 X 9 inches (15.24 cm X 22.86 cm) or so when closed. As for thickness, that is also up to you. But, we will be making a niche, so you will probably want one that has at least 300 pages.


Consider your theme when picking a book. You might be able to incorporate the book title as part of your theme.

I personally don’t like to work with a book that has lots of photos or pictures in it. I have a tendency to remove pages with pictures. I find pictures and photos distracting and feel like I have to incorporate them in my layout. However, you may feel you want a book with photos. Remember the rule about ABs? Yep, there are no rules (except the one about a sewn spine, of course).

Check to make sure you don’t have a first edition or a rare out of print copy. Here’s a great article on how to identify if a book is a first edition or first printing that will give you lots of advice. Chances are, you won’t have a first edition, but be sure to check if you are new to ABs and the book is from your personal library.

I cannot say this enough! Be sure the pages are sewn, not glued. This is one piece of advice that must NOT be broken. Glued books, including Readers Digest Condensed Books, will fall apart on you about half way through altering them. Don’t make that mistake because you will be very disappointed if you do.


So how, you ask, do you find these sewn books?


Check the spine. If it pulls away from the signatures and has threads showing, it is sewn. See the gap? If you don't see a gap, you may use pages from the book, but not the book itself. If there is a gap, but you can't see the threads (red in the above photo), use pages from the book, but not the book itself.


Hopefully you can see bits of the thread that separates one signature from another. At the top, you see the first page of one signature. At the bottom is the last page of another signature. As an aside, I really CAN spell. I just didn't notice the spelling mistake until I clicked on a large image. Was I surprised when I saw "fuirst." I've always said I'm a good speller, just not a good typist! Oh well, I'm sure Photoshop has spell check, but I don't know where it is.



Hopefully, you can see the thread in the center of a single signature. See how the thread runs through the entire length of the page. As an aside, you should find and mark the center of those signatures for when we remove pages from our books (click to see the entire message).


This is a single signature in this book. And in case I failed to make it clear, a signature is a set of pages bound into the book. Signatures usually have an equal number of pages.


I prefer text books, because they are well used, and withstand even the most obvious abuse. However, if you don’t have a textbook available, here are a few things you need to do. First, open the book in the middle


and bend the book backward until the covers touch each other. Did you hear a crack or pop?


Note the spine and signatures are both intact.


Do the same at about 1/4 way through the book


and then 3/4 way through the book. Don’t be gentle with it. If the book is going to withstand altering, it needs to be sturdy and well made. I can't say this enough: you don’t want your book to fall apart.


Now check your spine and signatures. If the book holds up well, it is ready to prep.

Alternately, you can make your own book. However, that is a lot of trouble (actually time and effort) for a first AB. So, if you are an experienced ABer and want to make your book, feel free to do so. If this is your first AB, I strongly suggest a pre-made book.

Here are a few things to remember. Your altered book will never lay flat or close completely after you start altering it. Don’t even ask why it won’t. If it does, you are doing something wrong.

If you come out of the scrapbook community, you MUST rethink ABs. Acid free is NOT a concept in ABs, nor a concern. Don’t even ask. That bird claw or seed pod you’ve been saving since you discovered it, isn’t acid free, so why should your book be? You don’t need acid free glue, embellishments, paper, or printer ink. Having said that, most books printed after around 1980 have a low acid content. That means they will last longer than that brittle-pages book from the 1930s. Of course, if that is the only glue, paper, or printer ink you have, please don't go out and buy anything else!


REVIEW:

1. Pick a book that will hold up under altering and abuse.
2. Pick a book that fits your size preference.
3. Pick a theme, then find a book that compliments the theme.
4. Pick a book that appeals to you in some way and allow it to dictate your art.
5. Acid free is not a concern in ABs.
6. Remember there are no rules, except the spine of your AB must be sewn.

In two weeks, we will discuss supplies, as well as prep our books. Each lesson after that will have a list of all the supplies you will need for the next upcoming lesson. That gives you two weeks to get your supplies ready, so you can play along.

Supplies you will need for Lesson 2:
A book that you have made sure will hold up
Glue stick
Self healing mat
Cutting tool, such as the Fiskars or an X-acto knife
Pen or pencil
Ruler


I hope you don't think we are getting off to a slow start since lessons will only be every other week. Some of you may have already picked your book, so this may seem like a wasted week to you. But be aware that the pace will pick up soon, and a good foundation is important. And since I want everyone to be on the same page, next Monday I will provide the syllabus. So be sure to tell everyone you know who might want to join this class. It's not too late to start.

Totally optional: Feel free to leave a comment and tell us what country you live in. Please be aware, this is totally optional, since I ask for nothing in return for your participation and/or visit.

99 thoughtful remarks:

voodoo vixen said...

I thought I had my book all planned but now I need to go and do all the checking it out bit...and bending the spine bit... (which will be easier with the book than my back) what do you think the odds are that is any good? LOL

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

Great ! I'm in ! just have to find my book !
FYI I am from France, near Versailles and was just talking about your blog last week on mine : http://titbelsoeur.blogspot.com/2012/02/un-calendrier.html

have a very nice week !

peggy aplSEEDS said...

ok, Elizabeth, i've checked my book and it's perfect except for the title (it has nothing to do with my theme) but never mind about that. thanks so much for the detailed instructions! one student from the Philippines here!
hugs, peggy aplSEEDS

Shirley said...

Voodoo vixen gave me the link to this great class.
Thanks so much for giving your time to doing it.
I am off to search for my book.
I am in the UK and am looking forward to next week already!

new2this said...

I too found out about this class from VV ... and although I am a digi scrapper, I would love to try this. Thank you for the opportunity.

Currie Silver said...

This is so thorough and for me an eye-opener!! I have thought I "knew how" to alter books and even have tried to using children's board books and such, but I see NOW that your teaching is far more in-depth and spot on!!! Thank you so much for taking the time and including all the photos and explanations. I honestly had NOT A CLUE that altering a book could BE this deep an experience. I am REALLY looking forward to sorting through the few books I have here... [99.9% of my library was left BEhind when I moved back to the East Coast in 2009] I may have one I got at the library but I doubt it's more than 300 pages. Fun to imagine the scouting about to come!! Thank you so very much!!!
Oh, I am in Delray Beach, Florida, and I of course found YOU via CED. ;~D

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

Looking forward to doing an altered book. Will go through ones that I was going to donate and see if there's one in the bag that meets the criteria that you noted. You asked where people are from...I'm from Minnesota.

Darla said...

I have my theme but not my book. That will be my excuse for a trip to the thrift stores this week.

Looking forward to this.

I'm in the S.F.Bay Area in CA, USA. You know that but other's playing along might not.

Darla

PS: Did you get my rocking horse sketch reply?

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Hi Elizabeth! I am so excited to begin this journey--thank you for offering the course!

I have my theme...and now I know how to search for a suitable book to use!

I'm in upstate New York, USA!

elle said...

Morning from central Canada. I have an easy fun theme. I found the perfect kid's book. It is sewn but somehow looks different as I can't get the spine to make a good gap. But I did start a 'proper' AB and if this falls apart I shall carry on with it.

Halle said...

Ah yes I remember this class well! I'll jump back in where I left off...

Dianne said...

Great post Elizabeth...I will remember that photo of bending the book all the way back on itself to check the spine! great idea... I have a couple of altered books that were NOT SEWN and you are so right that it's an absolute necessity! had to go back through my book and glue in strips of fabric to 'patch up' the places where the pages were pulling away from the glued binding. so much effort goes into the art that it's not an option to just scrap it! I will be following along to see how you organize this, and hoping your participants will be posting their work...

Jo Murray said...

Great info B & E.... I'm off to find a book!

Julia Dunnit said...

Hello Elizabeth, I'm joining in from Wiltshire, England, and I'm excited! I had a book, but then hit on your idea of finding one with a title that fits too, and so I I will take some time to look out another. Even your intro lesson is in depth and decisive...I kinda feel I'm going to get this done! Hurrah. Thank you.

Scrapcollectr said...

This is intriguing, friend.. And a little spooky because just today I was thinking about the books i've bought In the recent past for altering and have never proceeded.... Hmmmm... I'll be checking in... *smile*

Carol said...

Joining in from Missouri in the US. So thankful for the detailed instructions and the 2 week time notice. :0)

Yvonne said...

I'm in! This is going to be fun! I'm from Texas, a whole other country. :) I'm off to find and check out my book. Theme.....hummmmmm. I will think of one soon, after I find a book.

sandra de said...

Count me in all the way from Sydney, Australia. I have no theme and I am still looking for the right book with signatures/sewn spine and not glue. Never knew the difference. I am keen to do something outside of the acid free scrapbooking world and can't wait for the next class. I have always wanted to do an altered book and had no idea where to start. Thanks for sharing I am so excited.

Jacqueline said...

hey Elizabeth, I'm joining in from Falkirk, Scotland! Can't wait for this 'challenge' to begin!! I haven't done an Altered Book before so I'm really looking forward to trying new things :D

Not sure about the theme yet though...quite fancy the 'Vintage Recycling idea...kind if goes with the altering thing only in vintage style???

Anyway thanks for doing this workshop :D. It's going to be fun!

Jackie x

Ann B said...

Hi Elizabeth, so exited about your class as I already had a book ready to go for my fist ever altered book - will have to check it is a sewn spine though and if not it's off to the charity shop for me (again).
So generous of you to do this and share your knowledge.
Thank you from
Ann B
Lancashire, England
xx

Anonymous said...

Another follower here who was directed by VV.I live in Yorkshire England. Looking forward to your class, Irene

DeeDee Catron said...

Holy shit.. pardon my language.. but I am SO EXCITED!!!! I've got plenty of older books and they're just SCREAMING for some life!!! Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!! (from the US here!)

Artyjen said...

Hi! I think I need to go check out my books right now :) Thanks for the info...I believe I could stick to this and come out with something creative thanks to your great instructions.
xoxo Sioux
I'm in Devon, England by the way.

Sue said...

Hi hun
fabulous tutorial have just reread it, i may even hunt a book out!!! ya no me i dont do altering, i see a ruler is mentioned i dont to straight either!!! lol, ya no where i be, chilly willy uk, hugs, sue,xx

Helen said...

I am hoping to join in from when you start, I just need to find a book (most of my books are soft cover rubbishy novels!!!) so I have made a list of the salient points from this post today for checking any possibles .... I am in Surrey, England BTW.

Kate said...

Hopped over from Julia's stamping ground and I'm also from Wiltshire England.

** Kate **

Krisha said...

Hello from California......USA I am soooo glad I found your blog, can't wait to give this a try, I just never knew where to start. Guess I'll make a tripto the 2nd hand store and see if I can find just the right book. :)

Belinda Basson said...

I too am from Julia's Stamping Ground...Well South Africa Really...Cape Town to be exact! Always wanted to do this, thanks for the real good explanation, I will go find a book that fits the above instructions!

May said...

Hi, I am from Eastbourne East Sussex, England UK, I am off to find a book, thank you so much for doing this it's going to be fab soooo exciting Hugs May x x x x x

Bridget Larsen said...

ok I've twisted my own arm and signed up for your altered book tutorial. see you on WOYWW

Dee in N.H. said...

How fun! I've just got to find me a good sewn book! Thanks from chilly NH, USA!

Angie said...

This all sounds fun ...I may well have a go so I will follow and come back later to actually create something ...hope that OK.
I know nothing about altered books btw ...and I live in Scotland. xx

Mrs A. said...

Having just made a journal book from a book for a fellow blogger I will be joining to bolt the gate after the horse has bolted so to speak. I made mine using some very unconventional methods, involving the airing cupboard snd an iron to name just a couple. Hugs Mrs A.

Ohhh Snap said...

Thank you for this class! I've been waffling on the edge about altering books for a couple of years. Like you, I was taught never to put so much as a pencil mark or dog ear a page, so this is going to be a little difficult for me lol. But I've started drawing, painting and punching the edges of photographs (not the really old ones, digital copies of those!), so there is hope :D.

BJ said...

Not sure I am ready for this but yor instructions so far are lovely and precise so perhaps I'll give it a whirl. Just wondering what you mean by a "theme" for the book, could you give me some examples. Best go search for a book. Thanks BJ in Surrey UK.

BJ said...

Oh bother, just bought a book, but was fooled into thinking it was sewn! I looked at the spines of the hardbacked books in the charity shop and looked out for the stripy threads at the top/bottom of the spine but only to get it home to find, on closer inspection, that the threads are FALSE ones stuck on to give the illusion of a sewn spine. Fallen at the first hurdle. Oh dear.

Netty said...

Just off to find a book. Thank you for all this info, will be back, x

BJ said...

Thanks for your reply Elizabeth. After my error in buying a book to use and YES indeed it has a fake sewn spine, I scoured my own shelves and am pondering using one of my degree course books. Not looked at it in years (20+) and I think it was secondhand anyway. Just need some courage to use it for altering. How much of the words are left visable as I'm not sure the psychology content has anything to do with a theme I might choose.
Thanks BJ

Dragon said...

Woo Elizabeth, this is such fun... I am so looking forward to it. Thanks very much for your generosity and inspiration
Love and light
Frankie
xx

fairy thoughts said...

hi elizabeth, it looks like you have got off to a good start, maybe you should contact the guiness book of records for the record no of people around the world making an AB together. LOoking forward to starting, just have to get a book first
janet . . . southern England

Hettie said...

Ooooo! Please count me in though I am going to be away next week so need to be excused. Though I will use the time away as an excuse to find an old book from Czech if that is ok! Would that be a Czech book then? LOL!!

HeARTworks said...

Have my book and my theme! Philippines! Patsy

Shashi Nayagam said...

Hopping in from WOYWW. I think I need a lesson in this. So generous of you. I have to find a book now.

Ohhh Snap said...

I've found a book, but I'm wondering if page thickness matters because this book's pages might be too thin and I'll have to start my search again lol. Good thing we have some time for this :D.

Susan said...

supurb! I'm really looking forward to the lessons. I bought 3 books at a second hand store. I know a bit too much but one had the perfect spine, another the perfect format and the third one the perfect paper :)
Looking forward for monday.

Love from the Netherlands

Susan

Weasel said...

Might just give this a go amongst everything else I'm planning at the moment - I've been looking for appropriate books for a while now and think I have one or two that pass the test! Oh, and I also came via Voodoo Vixen - that Annette has been busy spreading the word! I'm Suzie, and I'm in Southend, UK

Snowfalls said...

I came to your site from Stamping Ground. So excited to be a part of this. I am from Northern British Columbia in Canada. A little place called Fort St John.
Thanks for all the great info.

Annette McCarty said...

HI..I am from Texas and have just discovered the "altered" method. I hope I can still join the group. I am very interested and will try t9 catch up. Your tutorial makes me want to learn it all right now! Thank you so much!

Terrie said...

Yay - I'm in and excited to give it a try. Joining in from Seattle, WA and looking forward to seeing what everyone is going to do!

Bev said...

Elizabeth i have u and Bluebeard on my google reader so u are old friends lol thanks for doing this, im going to pass it on to my facebook groups , there are many who need this , and may i suggest that u ask those who have questions to type in BOLD it sure will make it easier for u to find them as im sure this will grow into a huge following ....

hugz bev

Annette said...

Annette from Texas here, Bev my friend told me about you. Now off to explore

Cindy said...

Barbara from Flippin, Arkansas here. I'm glad you aren't going too fast myself 'cause I should be able to fit this into everything else I've got going on. LOL

Marilynart said...

Bev and Annette emailed me about your altered books. Please count me in. Love trying new techniques and this looks like fun...all I need is a few more hours in the day.
Marilyn in Fayetteville, GA

Unknown said...

Hello, I'm hoping to join in - time permitting. I need to find a book (something that I can bare to alter (at the moment it feels like disfiguring a beloved friend, so I might go to the charity shop and choose someone else's old friend to disfigure, lol). I'm from Buckinghamshire, England and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's creations as they develop.

dragongourd said...

I'd really like to give this a try. I looked through my books but don't have any that would work that I want to alter, so it's off to the Goodwill store to see what I can find tomorrow. I'm in Southern California. :-)

Renee Stien said...

thank you for sharing such clear instructions, this is so kind of you!

tronaldte said...

I posted one comment but I don't think it worked so here goes again! I am Terry from the State of Texas in the US. I am a retired scrapbooker and currently enjoying painting, drawing and mixed media. I love your explanation process and am grateful you are willing to share your knowledge with us. I'm looking forward to next week.

mothertiger said...

I would love to be part of this group as the first part looks great. Very clear instructions.. I live in rural NSW, Australia. Look forward to next time

leti49 said...

hi! letizia here from italy!
i live about 90 km from milan, in a very charming small town, nested between hills of grapevines...
i am very excited to play with you. i altered a book a long time ago...i need a refresh...
thanks for sharing!
letizia

Claudia and Sergio Olivos said...

Hello there!
Thank you so much for offering this!

And already I've learned something: what signature means in book binding!
Cool...I love learning new things!!

I am Claudia, an artist originally from Chile, currently residing in Washington DC.

Love & Light to all!

Raven said...

Hey there, I'm in England, UK, and have never done this before, so I'm keen to join in! :D Good luck everyone, I'll be sharing pictures on my blog on the way through!

Unknown said...

Found you via WOYWW and love your blog! Now following you can't wait to see more, just grabbing a cuppa to surf the rest of your blog with. x

Sherry said...

I'm in Greater London, England, UK and am about to raid my bookshelf to see if I have a suitable book to alter!

Thanks for the in-depth detail :)

SandeeNC said...

Cool! I think I am going to try your class...now off to discover a book, maybe the book will help me with my theme! North Carolina, USA

donnalouiserodgers said...

me - I was made in england, still there for now

theme - language -

book - 1914 french english cassell dictionary- it is a beauty and I neeeeed to alter it, oh and I am excited already...

will be joining in sporadically if that's okay.

dx

RosA said...

Count me in ... I think. My book has visible threads/signatures, but no red thread thingy at the top. Will it work?
RosA in Sydney, Australia

Tuire Flemming said...

Here I am - in Finland!

With a novel book I bought from the library´s deletion sale. The book is printed in 1949, written by Wladyslaw Reymont, and is translated to Finnish from Polish. There are stamps of the city library, but also older ones of township home for the elderly :) And also "removed" stamps - in fact "poistettu".

I´m so glad and excited you give us this class!
Waiting for lesson 2...
Tuire

Helen said...

I've found a book now, it's an old hard-cover crime thriller of my late dad's which is about the right size, so it hasn't really got a theme itself - but my theme is going to be time I think (I may just give up on the theme and "play" along learning the techniques as this is the first book I am actually going to alter...) Can't wait to start.

L said...

I think I found a really good book I can alter. From my shelf, and it's about the lost civilization of Maya.

Another learner from the Philippines! A bit late, but I'll catch up! :)

Hugs,
Lexi

Victoria said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Thanks so much for doing this free class, with such clear directions.
I can't wait to make my first altered book.
I'm in Palm Desert, California.

Patricia said...

Hello Elizabeth, I am from Texas and just found your blog, Thank you so much for sharing

dragongourd said...

I guess I came upon this a little late. Where do I get the syllabus and further information? I got my book. :-)

kay said...

hi,well have got my book,tested it out and off to see the syllabus,i live in devon,england,thanks for these lessons,x

angie babe said...

Hi, i`m with Kay, (above) She got me and another net friend involved in this, so, we`re all doing it together!
can`t wait to get messy! lol sorted my book, and chomping at the bit, to get going!
i live in somerset, England.

Laura S Reading said...

I found your link today as I was trolling around. Recently I have been removing pages from old books for artwork. It will be interesting and fun to use a complete book. fortunately I have lots of textbooks that need new lives.

I am in Wisconsin, USA

Serendipity Stamping said...

Well guess I will finally take the plunge and try an altered book. You seem to have it all together. I need to find the time and place to look for a book, so will probably be a little behind in the lessons for a bit. I am from Bradenton, Florida, USA.

Lilygirl said...

Hi, just found your tutorial today!! I have been wanting to alter a book for awhile now and your tutorial is just what I needed to push me to start. TY!! I too will be behind for a bit but will catch up! Off to check my stock of books for one with a sewn spine!

Karenliz Henderson said...

WOW I can't wait to start. I need to find the correct book first. I'm so glad I found you. I have always wanted to alter a book. Oh I'm in Connecticut!

Katie said...

Thanks for sharing this! I just found a used book store that had suitable books for 50 cents!

Linda said...

As usual, I am late to the party! Just found this, and I am beyond happy to join in. I KNEW it was right to save my chemistry book. Finally, I am validated. Thanks. Oh... New Jersey

Lisa Richards said...

Hello! I was directed to your FREE class by Sherry's Simple Blog. Thank you for your generosity of spirit! There are so few free things these days. I have a bookshelf full of old books that I've found at library book sales. I may lag behind and do this at my own pace, but I'm excited to find such good information about how to alter books!

I'm from the northwoods of Minnesota! :D
www.lisa-richards.blogspot.com

Mari K. said...

I'm joining late, but I've been seeing these altered books in progress and am just loving them! I wasn't going to do it because I have very little time, but then I thought what the heck, I can try. I'll just be going along at a snail's pace, hope that's ok.

I'm from the state of Ohio, USA
http://marikocreations.blogspot.com/

Caz said...

I'm a late joiner too........ I have several "books for altering" so now I need to go check for sewing to see if they're suitable!!! I've had a dabble at using an old book for a journal but not done much else but add paint!
I'm in the beautify countryside near Banbury UK
www.candellcreations.blogspot.com

Vicki Holdwick said...

I am definitely a late joiner.....I have a great textbook called "Working in America: A Humanities Reader" and am anxious to start. I am really glad this tutorial is being offered over a long period of time as I am quite busy with family and other kinds of art.

I'm in southern Michigan.
http://vickiholdwick.blogspot.com

Count me in.....and thanks so much,

xoxo

paulaexuk said...

I'm a little late but I am in. Got my book and now it is catch up time here in South Florida.

Thanks for your tutorials
Paula

Susan said...

I am new here, just read this post and will begin my search for a suitable book!

Maureen Hayes said...

I am going to try to start my own AB even though I know you are already done with the course. I assume the lessons are here and I have always wanted to do this, so I figure I will give it a shot! Thanks for leaving this info up!

Maureen Hayes said...

Oops, i forgot to say where I am from, Long Island, NY

Laura said...

Dear Elizabeth, I am from The Netherlands and i have just discovered your lessons. I have been thinking about altering a book, but didn't know where to start. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. Do i have to sign in or something like that? Laura.

Denise said...

Hello Elizabeth, I have been one of your followers for a long time now,but I've just now noticed your free classes.I noticed them from your last post.How fun and wonderful for Me.I tried once on My own and did not like the results.I'm starting from the beginning and going to go all the way through.Thank you- Denise

Unknown said...

I JUST found your awesome site and these fabulous classes. Suffice it to say that I am totally and completely bihind--That doesn't usually stop me! Thanks so much! I'm from a small town in Washington State, USA. :)

Soraya said...

I just discovered your blog and I'm so grateful for the time and effort (besides your generosity in sharing) you put into these lessons!

Thank you so much!!!

Denise Fletcher said...

Im going to check out my books now! Im in the UK

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you still have this up! I just came across this and intend to go through your lesson plan. This will be my first altered book, and I'm making an anniversary gift for my husband. Thank you so much for sharing this and taking the time to lay out detailed lessons.

Rae said...

Hi,
I am looking forward to your lessons for the Altered Book.I love doing craft things and this will be my first AB.
Cheers
Raewin from New Zealand

jan said...

Love this !!!!Very informative and helpful ! Thanks

Cazzy said...

Wow Elizabeth, I wish I had found this before, I took part in a dictionary challenge a couple of years ago - and used an old French/English dictionary but it is a paperback ....and it fell apart a little, so I poured a load of glue into the spine and it has held so far!
I tried to start another this year for a new dictionary challenge because I loved doing the first one, and I have a hard backed book - now I need to check the spine! I have sort of started, but with everything going on in my life right now I haven't yet completed one page!
How kind of you to publish this, you could probably sell the course!
Hugs,
Carol

Jmiya said...

I'm looking for all of the lessons. I can find select ones but I would like to follow them in order to get the full benefit.Could you direct my to a location to find them? Thank you!

Pam Lane said...

Hi Bluebeard and Elizabeth

I'm often late but in joining the group following your Altered Book Syllabus I've exceeded all previous records. I hope someone is still out there. My dog Inka will be overseeing the efforts as my mother and I join in - hope Bluebeard copes with this canine intrustion. Mum is 92 and in a wheelchair, suffering from dementia. A previously very talented and competent craftswoman she still has the interest in staying active with art but comprehension of details and manual dexterity are gone. This will set our theme - Daily Dementia Dallyings.