Sunday, July 8, 2012

Lesson 12: Folded Pages

Once again I must apologize for Blogger choosing which font sizes to use. It was not my choice or doing, even though I spent a fair amount of time trying to get my font all the same size and color.

For this lesson, we're going to discuss folded pages which will also lead to folded hidden pockets. That will lead to an optional folded spinner on the page.


We'll begin with folded pages, a simple technique anyone can make. This technique took about an hour when I made it for my Hands AB.


Supplies clockwise from lower left:
Images or embellishments you want to use
Book with three consecutive pages to alter (left, middle, right)
Clothes pin or bulldog clip (not shown)
Glue of your choice (by now you have your favorite)
Scissors
1 scrapbook or other decorative paper, as large as, or larger than your book page
Alternately, you can use handmade papers, newspapers, mulberry paper, napkins (I used anaglyptus wallpaper, also known as textured wallpaper, I painted)



I suggest you plan your design ahead of time. Don’t glue anything yet, just decide on your two page layout (after reading all the directions, of course).


Paint the back side of the left page.


Paint the front side of the right page. Leave the middle page unaltered.



Cut your decorative paper the size of your book page and attach to the back side of your middle page using your favorite glue.


Beginning at the top of the middle page, bring the corner to the spine. Make sure the decorated side is showing. Crease well.


Repeat from the bottom. Be aware the folds will overlap, so be sure to line up the edges.


Crease both sides and make sure the fold reaches into the spine.


This is what the page will look like when complete.


And here it is from another view It's actually easier and quicker to make than describe. Do you want to see the finished spread? I'll show it as my homework assignment next week during CED. However, I have a few more of these folded pages I'm willing to show you right now.


This is the left side of one of these folded pages I made in my Asian book. The background is Oriental newspaper, the image is from Dover, and I drew the mask. Yes, I know, I can't draw, but I had fun trying.


The center fold consists of origami and joss paper, and an Oriental image.


The right page is also joss paper and an Oriental image I colored. The background on the fold is more Oriental newspaper. When I was working in this Asian AB, I was drawn to these colors, as well as the lovely letters and words.

Now let's switch gears and learn how to make a hidden pocket from a folded page.
This technique was a nightmare from the beginning. I couldn't remember how to make the page, and consequently made mistakes along the way. So laugh along at my blunders and remember to do as I say, not always as I show.


Supplies clockwise from lower left:
Cardboard or chipboard circle or CD
1" hole punch (optional if you are using a CD)
Awl (or an "anywhere" punch)
1 brad (color should match your spread)
Glue of your choice (you know what you like)
Altered book with three consecutive pages: left, middle, right
Gesso
4 coordinating scrapbook or printer paper weight decorative papers, as large as, or larger than your book page
Alternately, you can use handmade papers, newspapers, mulberry paper, napkins, wall paper, anything lightweight that will not produce bulk
Scissors
Embellishments and ephemera of your choice



Cover your CD or paper circle (I used two layers of thin cardboard glued together and covered both sides with rusty paper. Set aside to dry before cutting the paper. As an aside, I put this circle aside and used a circle from another project in the finished work.


Paint the left page with gesso to distinguish it from the middle one.



Grab your trusty ruler and find the vertical center line. I used black permanent ink (Sharpie) to make my lines, but you should use a pencil.


This dot is the center of the vertical and I've marked it at the edge of the page.


Use a metal ruler, or something flat and straight to lay across the center line of the page. Be sure the line is parallel to both the top and bottom of the page.


Take the top right corner and bring it to the edge of your ruler or straight edge as shown in the photo above.


Crease the fold well. You can use a bone folder, but I just use my fingers.



Place your ruler on the edge of your folded triangle as I show in the photo above.


Move the lower right edge of the page so it lines up with the ruler or straight edge.


Crease well.


Unfold and cut one of your pages slightly larger than the width between the spine and the folded area. Since my book's center was 4 1/2", and I created a 90 degree triangle, the width of my triangle was also 4 1/2". I knew that the width of my book was 6 1/2", so I cut my paper 4". Isn't math fun? I hope I didn't lose you, because there was no need to measure this time!


Glue the cut paper to the right side of the page as shown, aligning it with the spine.


If you used a wet glue, allow time for the page to dry.



Refold your triangles, following the original lines and folds.


Cut your coordinating paper slightly larger (wider) than the folds. Glue to the left side of the page just to the end of the folds, aligning with the outer edge as shown. I realize it looks like the entire patterned paper has been attached, but it has not.


Fold the page again and crease well.


With the remaining decorated paper pushed back, glue the second paper to the left page, aligning with the spine. Be aware I used the same paper I glued to the right side of the page.


Glue the top and bottom edges, but leave the long edge (the length of the page) clear of glue.


Finish by gluing the two triangles in place.


Add your cardboard spinner by punching a hole with an awl or an "anywhere" hole punch in the center of the circle, or by punching a 1" circle (NOT SHOWN) using your circle punch to conceal the brad legs on the back.


Years and years ago, I made one of these spinners in a RR I was in. I made this in one of the player's book. This is the front side before I decorated it. Back then, Tim Holtz hadn't invented those little spinners, so I used a gear to cover the front hole. I covered a CD with some of my handmade paper and colored the brad head using embossing powder. The background is a map I colored probably using an acrylic paint wash.


This shows the completed piece is actually a hidden pocket where you can hide tags and secret messages.


I chose to leave the backside the original blue of the CD, since this was a "Colors Round Robin" and the player's color was blue. You can see the backside also provides pockets for hidden storage. You can also see I didn't decorate the bottom, although I really believe it makes it so much classier when the book page is covered with coordinating paper.


I have NO idea what I covered the brad legs with, but you may cover yours with the 1" circle you punched, or anything that matches your theme.

I hope to use an old view finder insert for my homework assignment, which I hope to show next Sunday, along with the decorated pockets folded pages I created. So be sure to return next Sunday for MY homework portion of the lesson.


Reminder: don't forget to look for a zipper. It won't be long until you will need it.

Reminder: start thinking about what you want for your Student's Choice lesson which we will vote on at the conclusion of Lesson 15. I realize we have a decent bit of time, but I want to be prepared, especially since I've had such a nasty time with my ISP and computer recently. And of course, it takes forever for me to put these lessons together. They seem to get more complicated with each lesson.

HOMEWORK (totally optional, as always):

Create at least one folded page. Feel free to turn it into a folded pocket if you are short on pages. Create a spinner page, if you like. These are ways you can add interest to your altered books, as well as make them interactive. So please have fun with them.

I'll be back next Sunday to show you how I decorated pockets in my Hands AB and hopefully create a spinner folded page. I didn't want to overload your browser this week.

Supplies you will need for Lesson 13:

Your book
Background papers
Glue
Embellishments that can be used inside a window or door
X-acto knife and ruler or scissors and punches

COMPLETED HOMEWORK:

I am really looking forward to seeing the various pockets, both visible and hidden, you made for this lesson's homework assignment. I hope you had fun coming up with unique ways to make these. Don't forget to show your homework assignment when I ask for it. You have two weeks to post Lesson 11's assignment (pockets), but I suspect many of you are ready. And please be sure the link is to the specific post or posts, not to your blog in general. And I want to thank all of you for turning off that annoying word verification. You are the BEST!! I've only seen it on a few blogs lately. And believe me, it's NEVER too late to join in. Feel free to start at any lesson, although, as many of you have seen, each lesson builds on the next.

You may also post ANY previous assignments here. If you are showing any assignment prior to Lesson 11, please add the lesson number after your name.

Please don't forget to leave a comment on my blogoversary giveaway before Tuesday at 12:01 AM CDT if you want to be included in the giveaway. See my right sidebar for the time difference. At 12:02 AM I will close comments and you will no longer be eligible to enter.




________________________________

15 thoughtful remarks:

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I'm almost caught up! A few more things and I will be back with lesson 11. Like you said in a previous lesson, I have found that this book is too small in dimension--but I am determined to finish and make the best of it. I have several larger books I already collected (How did I know I would love this?)that are much more suitable.

I am wondering when you make an AB do you work the pages straight through--you know, start with page 1 go on to 2, etc., or jump around?

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

thanks for all these tips, I love the idea of adding a cd !!

SandeeNC said...

I am getting so far behind....:;sigh::...I promise I will catch up, am so looking forward to the lessons! You always come up with the most interesting ideas, just love it! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

Terrie said...

I read each lesson, but like Sandee, am falling a bit behind. I've actually done some work in it recently, so maybe will skip ahead to the pockets lesson you're asking for so I can post an update this week. Thanks once again for sharing so much and taking all the time to put it all together. We, the altered book beginners, thank you!

Anonymous said...

I remmber the folded page you made in your Asian book. I thought it was great them and I still do.

XX Rachel XX

BJ said...

Would you believe I have been refreshing your blog all evening and was totally foxed by last week's WOYWW being at the top still and I just thought your connection was still down!
I have actaully made a pockets page today - shock horror - but not photographed it as yet, nor put anything on the ATC tags.
I think I know why I have been lagging lately - BACKGROUNDS - I guess painting and inks and stuff isn't really my "thing" . I have just used plain/patterned papers for my pockets page and it came together so much more easily. Tomorrow.............BJ

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial.
Thanks so much.
Barb
North Carolina

Darla said...

Great pockets! I'm mentally storing up all these ideas.

Darla

BJ said...

Just added my link but silly me added YOURS first - can you delete that one perchance?

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I'm all caught up now and ready to tackle a folded page or two!

Dawn said...

Hi Elizabeth, thank-you so much for another fab lesson. I am yet again chomping at the bit to start playing!
I have now linked in my lesson 11 efforts, what fun I had and I hope you like the pages.
Hugs x x

BJ said...

Thanks for your reply Elizabeth. Can you delete comments as the one above this is SPAM. I just got exactly the same as an e-mail to my inbox!! can only assume others might have too!!

I'm glad I have had a go with paints but I suppose I just don't like to get messy. Saying that I never thought I'd get into inks and I have. Still not tried out my spray inks though despite making a spray booth last week! I'll get there eventually.

One scrapbooker comment on my AB pockets said she's like to incorporate the pockets on scrapbook pages so I guess all papercrafting techniques are interchangeable.

BJ off to fold some pages (after covering in scrapbook paper first - LOL)

elle said...

Hmm, I might have this on the wrong lesson but it is up and I'll see if it needs moving.

Susan said...

Hi Elizabeth,

I've blogged my work on lesson 10. I've had lots of fun and there are still some ideas in my head.

Love Susan

Susan said...

OH it is lesson 11 that's new on my blog. Hmm must be the early hour here... still I've had my coffee....