Thursday, January 12, 2023

Second Thursday Tutorial: Dyeing fabric using coffee

 

A few days ago, I noted in my accountability post, that I would like to dye fabric using either coffee or avocados.  Coffee sounded like the easier of the two, so off I went to procure the needed materials.

From left: 

Sanka sludge*

100% cotton fabric cut from a blouse

New cheap instant coffee crystals

Iron oxide (vinegar water and large metal chain)

Distilled water

Glass bowls

(*Sanka sludge is instant Sanka crystals that got wet in the basement and turned into a sticky glob of sludge)
 

Sanka sludge, fabric, new instant coffee, large metal chain in vinegar water.

Distilled water will keep the experiment consistent.

  I don't normally get carried away with my experiments and forget to explain the process or take a photo like that of the bowl on the right as I was adding the fabric.  Sadly, that is what I did.  

If you go on the world wide wonderland known as the web, you will find tons of tutorials that will tell you how to dye fabric using coffee.  The first thing is to make a pot of very strong dark roast coffee.  I only drink dark roast (either dark Sumatra or French roast.   However, I refuse to use my very expensive coffee on a fabric experiment that might or might not work.

The second thing is to heat the coffee to boiling in a glass bowl in the microwave for about three minutes.  If you don't have a microwave, you will need to use your stove or coffee pot.  I personally can't live without a microwave, but at the same time, I see no need for a cell phone.  Be sure to wet (dampen) your fabric before adding it to the bowl of coffee.

See the fabric in the bowl on the left?  At one time, the bowl was well over half full.  However, when I was removing it from the microwave, that's when everything went south.  I dropped the bowl on the floor.  I got boiling coffee on the microwave, my floor, the kitchen table where my camera was located, the counter, and a good part of the stove when the bowl started to roll, rather than sit stationary.  I was so shaken, it took forever to clean everything, including myself.  My left shoe was filled with coffee, as was the front of my clothes.  Needless to say, after I cleaned my kitchen, I had to shower.  Because this took so long, I was able to pull the dyed fabric from the bowl on the right and add more fabric to the bowl of straight coffee and distilled water.

But now it was time to experiment.  I decided I had enough coffee left in the bowl, I could add a bit of iron oxide (rust). 

One half teaspoon of the rusty goodness and I got a big shock.  Before I could barely get the lid back on the rust, the fabric was already turning black.  If I had not been so rattled by the mess I made, I would have realized I should have removed the fabric immediately.

With each passing minute, the fabric with the rust was getting darker and darker.

In the bowl with coffee and water, I was seeing some incredible patterns emerging.  Would they stay once I removed the fabric from the coffee bath?  Only time will tell.

It is late at night and I have not had a chance to iron the fabric.  However,

here's what the fabric looks like on my dark kitchen table when I didn't color correct.

A few close up photos:






This is the large piece from the first bowl.  It received the least amount of time in the bath.

Here it is without any color correction in Photoshop.


I think this will look good once it's ironed.

It's obvious the rusted fabric is still quite wet.  I will update when everything is dry and ironed.

Thanks for joining me today as I dyed cotton fabric in coffee and some with rust added.  Once this goes live I will add it to my tutorials page.  I will also update as needed.  I'm just delighted you had a chance to stop by.

UPDATE:






This is my favorite.  It has bits of coffee and bits of rust.  I love how mottled it turned out.  

Finally, if you would rather dye paper instead of fabric,

I have two tutorials showing how I created these watercolor papers.

UPDATE: Deb asked in another post if I would use this fabric in clothing or crafts. I DO NOT make clothes, but I make little art quilts I call quiltlets.  The fabrics have been washed in baking soda water to neutralize the rust.  They are now safe to handle without gloves.  I use my sewing machine to create the quiltlets I often send to friends.


18 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

I hope you didn't burn yourself when you spilt the coffee - which created some gorgeous colours.

Mia said...

Great experiment, Elizabeth. The dyed fried looks amazing (also the one with the rust). I will be waiting for the update to see the rusted fabric dry. Hugs, my friend.

My name is Erika. said...

I like the look of coffee dyes fabric and paper. It is a mellow brown, isn't it? I'll be curious to see the fabric with the iron oxide added once it dries. And that sounds like the dropped bowl made a terrible mess. That would be something that would happen to me. Thanks for sharing this; you've inspired me to make some coffee dyed paper and maybe even fabric too. hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

Oh no so sorry about the accident-what a mess everywhere-and hoping you did not get burned in the process.
I have not worked with coffee as a dye, I have read about some that soak papers in the coffee to dye those too.
Looks like you got some nice patterns-thanks for sharing your dye adventure hugs

Mae Travels said...

Kitchen disasters are really frustrating. I’m glad you recovered from the coffee mess! My biggest blunder of this type was last year when I knocked ALL of my pyrex measuring cups off of a shelf at one blow. They shattered (as pyrex does) and it was a MESS. Plus I had to buy all new ones. My disaster yesterday (after all the guests drove away) was to leave the soup “simmering” when it was really at a rolling boil and a half inch of charred vegetables stuck to the pot: I have soaked/scrubbed it almost all off the bottom of the pot.

Good luck with no more drama!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

jinxxxygirl said...

I'm glad i stopped by too Elizabeth! So cool! And wow i'm glad you didn't burn yourself! Hugs! deb

CJ Kennedy said...

The sacrifices we make for art. Glad you're okay. Very cool patterns in the dyed fabric

Christine said...

I like the effect

Debra said...

Thank you for the tutorial. I have not tried making rust dye. I love the colors and patterns your cloth has taken on. Can't wait to see how you use the fabric.

Valerie-Jael said...

Looks like you had fun dying your fabric, I have only used coffee for ink. Hugs, Valerie

Rita said...

I hope you didn't burn yourself!
The experiment is going well.
Sumatra and French Roast are my very favorite preferred coffee, too!!! :)

Sandra Cox said...

Sanka sludge. Ha Ha:) Nice patterns.

DVArtist said...

Wonderful tutorial. I love the effects. Wanted you to know that FFO is up early. You won't have to stay up late. LOL

Iris Flavia said...

Uh-oh... I had to stop reading... Burning and I drop....
But this reminded me of when we made "batik"-shirts at school. So 70´s like, oh, I would love to repeat that!

Divers and Sundry said...

Cool! I bought some instant coffee a while back for a flavored coffee recipe.

Jeanie said...

Your tutorials are always so well detailed and beautifully photographed. Even though this is something I'm not likely to ever do it makes me appreciate what goes into the art that uses these dyed pieces.

craftytrog said...

It sounds like a nightmare, but you did get some great results Elizabeth! I hope the coffee didn't burn you.
Alison

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous results 😊. I hope you're ok and didn't burn yourself. Take care! Hugs Jo x