Friday, January 13, 2023

Friday Smiles 495: Still cold

 

It's Friday, and the 13th even, which means it's time to join Friday Smiles, hosted by Annie (at A Stitch in Time). Let's visit Annie and the other wonderful ladies who also share their smiles each Friday. 

But first to update yesterday's tutorial, here are some of the fabrics I ironed.
 




This is my favorite.  It has bits of rust, but the coffee still shows through, too.
 
If you prefer to dye watercolor papers,

I wrote two tutorials that covered how I created these.

I have been nowhere this week, just trying to get warm before the next wave of snow hit, which it did yesterday.  Here are some photos from an upscale shopping area I visited just before Thanksgiving looking for a special gift for a special friend.  Instead, what I found was a bit of art.
 
This is one of the Keepers that celebrated 150 years of Wichita, Kansas history as a city.  These more recent Keepers had to incorporate 150 things within the body of the Keeper.

Up close, I thought the Keeper could work as a face for Nicole's  Friday Face Off.

This one is named Dotted Red.

Then I remembered I had another Keeper I have never shown and this one DOES have a face nearby.
 
And an early Year of the Bunny (Rabbit) for Chinese New Year:


Thanks for dropping by today.  PLEASE visit Annie and Nicole and don't forget to show your face and start your weekend with a smile.  

UPDATE: Deb asked if I would use this fabric in clothing or crafts. I DO NOT make clothes, but I make little art quilts I call quiltlets.  The fabrics have been washed in baking soda water to neutralize the rust.  They are now safe to handle without gloves.  I use my sewing machine to create the quiltlets I often send to friends.

 

 

27 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Your fav looks really great! The shadows and colors...
And I absolutely love your watercolor-works!
Next holiday I am NOT sick, I will try this!
Snow? Oh, here it´s thankfully rather "warm". Cute art you found. And keepers you can never have enough... to smiles :-)
My browsers refuse to copy the link, though.

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful papers and dyed cloth, you made syome beauties there. Have fun creating with them! Hugs, Valerie

mamapez5 said...

Your dyed fabrics are interesting Elizabeth, and I have had a go at the paper ones a few years back, but it is not the sort of thing I use often in my craft.
I love all the Keepers. They each make quite a statement.
The 'bunny-cat' made me smile. I can't imagine trying to oput a headband like that on one of my cats! Kate x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

It's always great to see the brilliant places you visit and the fabrics are looking good too. Hope we get to see how you use them. Nice kitty too. Can't hang about today as we have to go and see mum as they took her into hospital last night.So for now sending hugs, Angela xXx

Elephant's Child said...

Vietnamese New Year is celebrating the cat - so your charming photo covers both bases.
Love the art, and your ironed fabric looks great.

Empire of the Cat said...

The keeper is very cool. I got your comment this morning about the envelope. I was on the verge of writing to you to say that I had posted something to you weeks ago but that it had probably got lost which was a pity as I did use new stamps that I thought you'd like. Glad it finally arrived after its 5? week journey lol.

Gene Black said...

I love the art pictures from the upscale shopping center, especially the painted wall.

Lisca said...

I love the keepers! Each one is different. Did they have 150 keepers around Wichita?
I couldn't help but spot the 'computer doctor' (Technology solved). Aren't you glad you have your good friend Scott.
And the kitty-bunnie made me smile.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Jenn Jilks said...

I haven't even gone outdoors yesterday. It was frigid. I did indoor work. Today I shall have to go and shovel snow.

My name is Erika. said...

I'm with you that the rust and the coffee together made a super piece of fabric. I think your dyeing is a success, because even your plain pieces have some nice texture added to them. And you have some fun photos from your not so successful shopping trip. I hope you found the gift someplace else, but I do like seeing the art you found. Happy Friday. Hope it warms up for you. hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

the dyed cloth and papers turned out amazing. Very cool art you found especially the Keepers

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, really cold here again too-I was shoveling snow and slushy ice yesterday. I love the results of your dyed fabrics and I really like your papers very much too-you must be very happy with them.
enjoyed seeing the keepers Happy Friday the 13th hugs from the lake

Tom said...

...those Keepers are, well keepers!

Annie said...

I love your dyed results....its amazing what effects you can get.
Hugs,
Annie x

Mae Travels said...

It’s fun to see the special art that’s unique to your town and state. I’d like to see more of the shopping center and whether they have beautiful hand-made things for sale.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

jinxxxygirl said...

You fabric turned out great Elizabeth! I was curious what you will do with the fabric.. Since it has rust in it can you turn it into clothes or would that be an unhealthy thing to do? Or will you only use it in your crafts? I really like some of your papers. I may have to give that a try one day. :) Thanks for showing us the Keepers, they are amazing... Keep warm! Wish we had some of your moisture.. We are so dry again.. Daughter in CA is getting drownded.. Send us the rain!!! Hugs! deb

Divers and Sundry said...

The patterns in that fabric are gorgeous! I'm impressed by how nicely the patterns show up.

Debra said...

Love the cloth. I hope you will show us the little quilts you make.

Jeanie said...

The textures on your dyed pieces are great. And I love that colorful Keeper! That's just fun.

Barbara said...

Beautiful dyed images! Have you posted your quiltlets? They sounds adorable!

craftytrog said...

Great photos of the art Elizabeth.
Hope you keep warm when the snow comes.
Alison

Christine said...

lovely work on the fabrics

DVArtist said...

I so love all of this favric. Well done my friend. I see so many faces but the keeper is just perfect. Thank you for joining in FFO and have a lovely day keeping warm.

Sandra Cox said...

Wonderful patterns. Especially the sea salt and cup, but love them all. Wow.
YOU have a grand weekend.
Hugs

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Interesting materials and love the watercolor papers. I would like to see some of your quiltlets sometime. I love the art in the shopping center ... the statues are so unique and colorful, but you know my fav is going to be the Bunny cat ... that is not Bleubeard though ... who is it? Very cheerful for a Friday the 13th post, Elizabeth ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Let's Art Journal said...

Loving how you dyed those papers and cloths with the coffee and rust especially the last one 😊. The kitty with the bunny ears made me laugh too. Thanks for the inspiration and smiles! Hugs Jo x

NatureFootstep said...

I love your fabrics. I see landscapes in them :) Wonderful!