Thursday, November 10, 2022

Second Thursday Tutorial: Making collage fodder papers

 

It's the second Thursday of the month, which means it's time for a tutorial.  Catherine Rains held a five day collage kickstart series a few weeks ago.  I looked for the link, but it is now gone because I completed all the projects.  I kept notes, but didn't follow her tutorials exactly.

These are the paints I will be using.  We were told to use TWO colors from either the cool or warm color families.  As an aside, both of the colors shown above are called a HUE.  We were also to use both black and white to add TINT (white) or SHADE (black).  You get TONE when you add both black and white to any hue.  Catherine didn't teach that, but I did when I taught an altered book class one year.  I didn't have any white, but hoped Pearl and Titan Buff could take the place of white.  We were also told we could use either gold or silver as an accent color.  
 
I worried that I might be setting myself up for disaster when I chose the Phthalo Blue in a green shade and Phthalo Green in a blue shade.  Only time would tell.

In addition to the paint, we were also to choose various papers and stencils.  We were also told to use deli and tissue papers along with molding paste, spackling, or joint compound, but in the end, I chose not to do that.

Then it was time to paint our papers.  For that I got out my favorite scruffy brush.  Catherine watered or misted everything down.  Her papers always looked like a soggy mess to me, so I skipped that, too.

After all the pages had been created and all the marks added to the pages, we were told to divide them into light, medium, and dark pages.  Then we were told to pick no more than our four favorite pages from each group and put the remaining ones aside.  Although I thought that was a bit restrictive, I did it anyway.  Sorry, but it was late at night when I photographed these.  You might be able to see a hint of the pages I rejected at the top of the above photo.

I laughed when Catherine said it only took her 15 minutes to put her first square together.  It took me over four hours to create this.  Granted, hers was a 3 inch square (7.62 sq cm) and mine was 8 inches (20.32 sq cm).  Because of the way I cropped it, mine doesn't look square.
 
Bleubeard and I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and once it goes live, we will add it to our tutorials page.  We are also sharing this with Art Journal Journey, where we are hosting this month.  Our themes are Collage Fodder, Food and Drink, or both. We believe this is a good example of using collage fodder.  We will make more of these squares soon, I hope.

And because it is November,

  we are also joining AEDM.



10 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

LOL! This sounds like Jamie´s 15-minute meals. My first took me way over an hour!
But it sounds like fun, too, if a messy one! But that IS the fun, right.

Oh, the notes. I was without work and really could´ve tried to play the piano again... I regret that I didn´t. Ingo even got stickers so I can re-learn better, but I had no interest.

Elephant's Child said...

Colour me fascinated. Again. In every hue, shade, tint and tone.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

The end results look great.

kathyinozarks said...

thank you for tutorial and the ideas for making the pages-I am thinking any paints would work? I haven't had an interest getting into the geli prints but I like this idea thanks

Debra said...

I love your final results. It is a lot of fun making pages to use in journaling.

Rita said...

This kind of painting and playing is such fun!! :)

Jeanie said...

I haven't done any printing like that in months -- it was such fun!

craftytrog said...

I love the collage fodder you created, Catherine's tutorials are great, I really enjoyed making mine too.
You created a wonderful collage, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Alison

pearshapedcrafting said...

I really love this collage- you look to have plenty more papers too, looking forward to seeing more pages. Hugs, Chrisx

My name is Erika. said...

These collages came out great. I don't know Catherine Rains, but how she inspired you. Hope your weekend is starting off well. hugs-Erika