Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Love of clouds and cloud formations

 

It's time once again to join Chris of Pearshapedcrafting, this month's host at Art Journal Journey.  She has chosen All Kinds of Weather as her theme this month.

My friend Mae often leaves me thought provoking comments.  She did just that a few days ago when I shared an image that was all about clouds I found on the internet, then colored and turned into an art journal page.  Here is the comment she left: 

You didn't mention lenticular clouds (which can be stratocumulus, altocumulus, or cirrocumulus) -- they are unusual and very impressive.
That's when I went looking for these types of clouds.  I was on a mission to find cloud formations.  And found them I did.
 
"This mass of cumulonimbus clouds explodes with little notice."

These are the types of clouds that can cause thunderstorms, lightening, hail, and tornadoes.  They can reach to heights of about 40,000 feet.  When well developed they have an anvil dome.

The clouds Mae was referring to include these lenticular, altocumulus clouds that are often known as flying saucer clouds.  I can see why Mae is so mesmerized by them. 

Lenticular clouds are often lens shape.  These are middle or altocumulus standing lenticular clouds.
 
I started this journal page by dry brushing blue and green watercolors onto a sheet of 110 lb cardstock.  I raided my meteorology books and cut these images from the pages.  I computer generated the sentiments, cut them using deckle edge scissors, then sewed everything in place using blue variegated thread.

Bleubeard and I would like to thank you for dropping by today.  We also hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own take on All Kinds of Weather.
 
I am also joining Leah at Art Every Day Month or AEDM for Day 17 with a journal page about clouds.


20 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

I´ve never seen such a flying saucer!
Love such comments that bring us forwards :-) And boy, do we have boring clouds, also harmless at least...
Ohhhh. My Singer sewing machine sits sad in the corner. She blames you! ;-)
Without you getting me this idea she would´ve ended up with someone who really can sew! She is bored...

Elephant's Child said...

I adore clouds and hope I am never too old or too jaded to marvel at them.
Thank you for sharing these beauties.

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful cloud page, and the lenticular clouds are amazing, I haven't seen one like that. But I do enjoy watching the clouds. This morning we just have mist again, but that looks pretty, too. Hugs, Valerie

WendyK said...

I love looking at clouds and you have found two fabulous ones, great background as well.
Hugs Wendy

Mae Travels said...

Thank you so much for mentioning my comment! It really makes me feel good to be so connected. I think lenticular clouds are pretty rare, and I’ve only seen them once or twice, though I live in the midwest where I don’t think they are seen. I’m no expert, though, just an occasional cloud watcher. So Iliked seeing your new pictures.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

CJ Kennedy said...

I love looking for objects in clouds. I don't think I've seen a lenticular cloud, but in the picture it looks just like a flying saucer. I've never seen one of those either. 😉

da tabbies o trout towne said...

coppee & paste stopped bye ta help out with R commint two day coz de gurlz still sneekin round de inter webz frum werk. we wanted ta say how veree thanx ful we iz that ewe taked de time ta leeve a message on me good bye post. we a purreciatez it mor N ewe noe. bee happee & healthee & blessed bye me heer roe st francis. lovez two ewe all wayz frum de food servizz gurl and mee; tuna ♥♥

My name is Erika. said...

Lenticular clouds are amazing clouds. I love the second photo you used. The first one is good also. You don’t see them often but they are memorable when you do. Or maybe back in New England we don’t see them often. Great page for Chris’ challenge my friend. Have a super Wednesday! Hugs ErikA

pearshapedcrafting said...

How absolutely brilliant Elizabeth. Thanks so much for creating this fabulous page for my theme at AJJ.
You have me wanting to look to clouds again - we have sky to ground cloud at the moment although we did have some blue sky and cloud early this morning!
Hugs, Chrisx

DVArtist said...

This is beautiful. The clouds are amazing.

ashok said...

Interesting cloud formation

Divers and Sundry said...

Clouds are fascinating, aren't they! So many different kinds for so many different kinds of weather.

craftytrog said...

Those clouds are fascinating Elizabeth! It's a wonderful page!

Empire of the Cat said...

I love the flying saucer clouds! I've never seen one but it does explain all those UFO sightings lol. Love your page today, Happy AEDM! Elle/EOTC xx

Cindy McMath said...

Those are both great cloud formations. Mount Shasta in Northern California is famous for the flying saucer clouds - they are really something to see in person! Great journal pages.

NatureFootstep said...

I love clouds. The Lenticular clouds are spectacular and, if I am not wrong, only seen in certain places. Often around mountaintos. :)

kathyinozarks said...

I love clouds too they are different all the time-great page

Neet said...

You took me back to when my son was a little boy. It was when he was 9 years old and his teacher was amazed at how much he knew about cloud formation. Didn't get it from his mum I can tell you. Doubt he knew as much as you have shown us here.
What a fascinating page. So often your pages not only please us aesthetically but also you provide us with so much knowledge. Thanks for this - loved it.
Hugs, Neet xxx

Lowcarb team member said...

Aren't clouds amazing ...
This is a lovely cloud page.

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

I love watching clouds, finding shapes. You covered a lot of ground here!