Saturday, November 6, 2021

Name that Cloud!

 

I'm back today with Chris of Pearshapedcrafting, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  If you are a frequent visitor to my blog, you may have guessed by now Chris's theme this month is All Kinds of Weather.  

About a decade or so ago, my dear foodie friend Sally got me interested in clouds.  It was fun to be able to identify the various types of clouds.  Clouds are categorized as fair weather and storm clouds.  They can be identified as to their altitude.  There are, as the graph shows, low, middle, and high clouds.

I prefer to identify them based on their shapes.  "Rain or Shine

it is in
 

the clouds."

I thought I would give you a few close up photos so you can learn about clouds, their shape, their function, and their position in the sky.








My inspiration for today's journal page began when I found this graph on the internet.  I have no color in either of my printers, so before adding the blue watercolor for the sky, I painstakingly colored each and every cloud using a white Crayola crayon.  I then added yellow for the sun, but should have found a way to show the rain coming from the cloud in the lower right.  The crayolas resisted the watercolor, so they still show white or yellow even after adding the watercolor.  I then computer generated the words.  The paper buckled when I added the watercolor, so I sewed the graph and words to a sheet of 110 lb cardstock using variegated blue thread.
 
Thank you ever so much for visiting today.  Bleubeard and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you this month at Art Journal Journey with your own interpretation of All Kinds of Weather.

This is Day 6 of AEDM, and I created a Journal page for Art Journal Journey.


17 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Beautiful. I hope I am never too jaded to delight in the beauty of clouds.

Valerie-Jael said...

Good morning Elizabeth! Love your clouds, I am always fascinated by them, as you may have noticed in my photos! Great way of showing them, a lovely idea! We just had a wonderful sunrise here, so beautiful. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous class on clouds. xx

Iris Flavia said...

Great page, looks beautiful and you can learn something :-)
I like the stitching, too!

CJ Kennedy said...

Nice knowing the scientific names of clouds, but more fun to look for pictures in the clouds.

My name is Erika. said...

I love this cloud piece. You found a super picture and this page is great. It is interesting how if you can read clouds, you can tell a lot about the weather. I'm only so-so at it. But clouds are just cool to watch anyhow, and some of them are really fascinating. Thanks for sharing this for Chris challenge. It is really a clever take on this month's challenge. And happy weekend! hugs-Erika

Nancy said...

I've seen lots of the examples, but don't think I've seen an Altocumulus cloud. Don't even think I spelled it correctly. Interesting.

DVArtist said...

Who doesn't like clouds. They are magical. Have a good day today.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Wow, this was such a beautiful, informative, and fun post! I love clouds. I love skies in any weather, but I seriously have a thing about clouds, and this was great.

craftytrog said...

Clouds are so beautiful Elizabeth! I love how you have used that interesting image on your page. A great post!
Happy Saturday,
Alison

Empire of the Cat said...

Oh lovely clouds, love your page Elizabeth. I used to be fascinated by clouds and remember learning all the names during geography lessons. Anvil head, is that the same as thunderhead cloud? If so, I have experienced those up close flying through a storm in a small plane, a very small plane! Happy AEDM Elle/EOTC xx

NatureFootstep said...

love your clouds. A great way to learn how weather works :)

Mae Travels said...

You didn't mention lenticular clouds (which can be stratocumulus, altocumulus, or cirrocumulus) -- they are unusual and very impressive. I have only seen them once or twice. Otherwise I don't pay a lot of attention: though I should!

best ... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Olde Dame Holly said...

Sewn tags, I love them. I like the blue thread, for the sky! Today I saw a very strange little cloud. It looked like a jellyfish!

Divers and Sundry said...

I kept a cloud chart on the fridge when the kids were little. Fascinating!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Clouds are fascinating- I used to know the names of a lot of cloud formations so really happy to see this page. It's a great page for my theme at AJJ too, Thank you. Hugs, Chrisx

Meggymay said...

The title of this page realy caught my attention. Its a fantastic inspiring page for Chris's theme.
Yvonne xx