Sunday, July 28, 2024

Swimwear

 

I want to wish CJ a very happy birthday.  I won't divulge her age, but next year will be a biggie!

I'm back today with another spread for Halle our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  I'm sure you know by now her theme is I've got a notion.  This will be my penultimate post for July.

These swimsuits remind me of ones I have seen from the 1920s.  Gone are the dressing gowns and black wool stockings of the late 1890s and early 1900s.


Styles of the 1920 era took on the look of flapper girls.  Shoulders were bare, many had belts, and some were made of different material/fabric at the top than at the bottom.  The leg portion was a very unflattering thigh length.  The women of the 1920s were mainly seen as athletic, single, and independent.


I began by sewing the focal image to the substrate and green copier/printer paper using blue variegated thread.   As I sewed the image, it slipped and I sewed it at an angle.  I had it sewn in place before I realized my mistake.  I tried to compensate with the two rows of lovely ribbon I had chosen to accompany the piece.  In the end, I added the computer generated sentiment.
 
Bleubeard and I are really delighted you joined us today and hope to see you at Art Journal Journey where we hope you will share your own interpretation of I've got a notion.
 
 

21 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Those swimsuits don't look comfortable - but infinitely more practical than some bikinis. Love the ribbon.

Valerie-Jael said...

The swimsuits people wear today are mostly very skimpy and not really suitable for swimming! Lovely piece for the challenge! Hugs, Valerie

Mia said...

I think this is one of your most beautiful pages, Elizabeth. I love the photo of the ladies of 1920's and the beautiful ribbon. Great idea to use a blue thread for stitching. Big hugs, my friend.

Iris Flavia said...

"Seaside Rendevouz" by Freddie Mercury is in my ear now!!!
I just posted it thanks to you - my fav!
I went swimming with a t-shirt and hat on in Hillarys/Perth...

Tom said...

...swimwear sure has changed.

My name is Erika. said...

I really like this page a lot. That's a great old photo. Boy have swimsuits changed. For the better (most of the time grin), but like Valerie said, many of them now are no good for swimming. That's a great trim too and the blue stitching works well with it. I hope you're having a super weekend. hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun page. I rather like those suits though I'm sure the fabrics used back then would've been uncomfortable. thanks for the birthday shout out. At this stage, all birthdays are biggies! 😺

Christine said...

Nice look back at the way it was

Halle said...

I love this one! The trim and colors are wonderful. Really fun image you found as well.

Barwitzki said...

Oh how beautiful :-))
Great photo. I like.
A hug to you.

Sandra Cox said...

Looks like today's workout wear doesn't it? I love the background.
YOU, take special care.

Helen said...

Yes, i am enjoying the Olympics! thanks for dropping by Kew - the sculpture you said looked like a palm is indeed based on the ones in the palm house. glad you enjoyed. Great page btw.

Rita said...

These were better than those crazy ones before that where the whole body was really covered in layers--lol! Times have changed a lot. What they would have thought of the thong bikinis now!!

peppylady (Dora) said...

This is time in my life, if I go to the beach I wear a one piece swim suit.

Jenn Jilks said...

Oh, I love it!
I was happy to see the Olympic beach volleyball women without butt cheeks hanging out!

Neet said...

I wonder if some of these were woollen knits? I am sure I have seen something where costumes were knitted. Just imagine getting out of the water in those - very un-ladylike.
Great page Elizabeth, love when you sew on them.
Hugs, Neet xxx

craftytrog said...

They do look very athletic in their swimsuits.
Great page, I love the ribbon trim.

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous page for Halle's theme Elizabeth! Love those colours! Hugs, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

This is a really fun page, Elizabeth. Ah, nostalgia!

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm happy more modest swimsuits have become more readily available. I prefer the one piece options with a bit of control.

midorilinea said...

I absolutely love your art journal, such a cool creative way to express yourself! Looking forward to seeing and learning more about your process! Hope you have an amazing rest of the summer!

xoxo, Midori

https://www.midorilinea.com/blogs/midori-linea/panda-village-koala-world