Sunday, May 14, 2023

Monday Murals: Graffiti

 
It's time once again to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals.  Even though it's still Sunday in my world, please be aware that Sami's mural link goes live at 11:01 a.m. my time today.   
 
While celebrating my birthday downtown, I spotted graffiti as we were leaving the restaurant.  Since my foodie friend Sally was driving, we drove around the block and found a few of these images.  It appears an entire area has been marked for either demolition or repair.

Granted most of you would show all the images at the same time.  However, I really want to keep joining Monday Murals.  What originally seemed like a fun adventure that would go on forever, has now sadly turned into a sludgy slowdown of next to nothing.  Avenue Art Days and Horizontes are no longer putting out or paying for new murals.  Even the City of Wichita has quit commissioning murals and is now investing in the Keepers, those native American molded statues that artists are commissioned to decorate.  That's why for the next several weeks, I will be sharing graffiti found in the 200 to 400 block of East Williams in Wichita, Kansas (USA). 
 
If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World
 
Happy Mother's Day to all mothers everywhere, whether your country celebrates it today or not.
 

18 thoughtful remarks:

Mae Travels said...

I am sorry to hear that there are so few new murals in your town, and that civic commitment to new ones has disappeared. You are right, when I have a good mural day I tend to post them all at once!
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Rita said...

Spreading them out is a good idea.
Happy Mother's Day! :)

Elephant's Child said...

Lovely things. I am sorry that no new ones are being commissioned and hope that the city changes its mind.

Valerie-Jael said...

Here in my little town we only have 1 mural, but there are a lot in Düsseldorf. I need to try to get out and about again. Have a great day, take care, and hugs to you and the Boys. Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

good morning, that is sad the city is no longer paying for murals-but the city must have many now which is pretty awesome. Happy Sunday-and Mother's day (Mom for your kitties)

CJ Kennedy said...

Too bad about the murals, but I'm glad Wichita is still promoting the Keeper of the Plains

Jeanie said...

For graffiti, that's pretty!

Tom said...

...let's hope that this area is renovated and not destroyed. I thought that I had a backlog of murals, but I'll burned through them. Fortunately mural season is approaching and new ones will appear.

Christine said...

Beautiful mural

Divers and Sundry said...

We do have murals here but not many _new_ ones...

Susan Kane said...

The murals really transform the street.

Jim said...

These look good.

Birgit said...

First off..Belated Happy Birthday! I hope you had a wonderful day. I think it’s the best thing, to spread these out. I hope you find many more that will resonate with you. I like this one..it reminds me of wings or maybe it’s because I just rewatched Cast Away.

Iris Flavia said...

I know of but one artist, Ente, who is payed for his official murals. All others are "illegal" and hence I have the same problem you have. Sad, isn´t... murals make the world so much better...

Bertiebo said...

You show us beautiful paintings. It is a pity that they do not want to invest further.

Sami said...

At first glance the mural appears to be 2 birds. It's very colourful and what a pity the city is no longer investing in murals.
Luckily Perth seems to have plenty of murals being painted all the time.
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Elizabeth.

Debra said...

So sad that there won't be more murals. They really do make a city more interesting. I hope you and the kitties are well-and that your hand will be all well soon!

magiceye said...

Bright and colourful!