Wednesday, April 26, 2023

The FED

 

Today, Bleubeard and I are taking on the FED (Federal Reserve System) with our Recycle, Repurpose, or Reuse theme at Art Journal Journey where we are hosting this month.  The FED has been in our (the USA's) news quite a bit lately, after a couple of banks defaulted a month or so ago.  The FED in the states was set up by Congress to make sure our money that we keep in banks is safe and we can retrieve it whenever we need it.  The FED is also responsible for interest rate changes, which can have both negative and positive effects, depending on whether we're trying to borrow or save.

Bleubeard and I believe our savings are being shaved and we're here to prove it!  We even have details.






I started this page by gluing the shavers to a used file folder.  There were words in the upper left corner I had to cover, which I did with the image I had left over from my Money Altered Book I completed in 2015.   All images, including the shavers were found in various magazines.  Even the words were printed on the back of a page of notes I had printed last month.  The only things new were the glue/adhesive and the toner in my laser printer.

Bleubeard and I are delighted you dropped by today and hope to see what you have recycled, repurposed, or reused using our theme at Art Journal Journey.

 

13 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

At the moment our savings are being shaved too - savagely.

Valerie-Jael said...

A fun page, Elizabeth, with a true message. No interest here for my savings but prices soaring. The rich get rich and the poor get poorer! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Same here. You made it nearly fun, though!
Clever done.
I had an old shave-thingy from Ingo in my hand yesterday... thought if I can use it for your theme, had no proper idea and threw it in the plastic-recycle bin (it also is for metal).
Daaaahhhh, fun you did it!

My name is Erika. said...

Yup, the FEd has shaved our savings but yet credit card companies are making more money with higher interest rates. Perhaps savings need to reflect that? But not, not unless you can put a huge amount of cash away. That's an interesting page and says something about this crazy time. And nice image recycling too.

Thanks also for the hosta suggestion yesterday in your blog comment. It's a good one because you are right; hosta make great shade plants. Sadly when I planted hostas in my shade garden they became great deer food. My garden is so close to the woods that the deer just wander up and have a great nibble. I moved the plants I have further into the yard and that helps keep them from being eaten, but it doesn't solve my garden question. But thanks for trying to help.

Hope you're having a great week.hugs-Erika

Christine said...

Interesting work!

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun page. My favorite image is the mousetrap with the wad of bills.

Rain said...

Very clever art Elizabeth! I'm sure my money is being shaved here too! ☺

Divers and Sundry said...

I remember back when savings rates were meaningfully higher than zero and went up sometimes. Back then you didn't have to be wealthy to live on interest. Not any more. Sad :(

Jeanie said...

That's VERY clever, Elizabeth. When I bought my house the interest rate were FAR higher than they are now and no one seemed to be complaining. We got spoiled with the low ones. Oddly enough, I'm saving more than I ever did before. I must be living differently.

pearshapedcrafting said...

A clever page Elizabeth! Interest rates have been down here for years. I love those traps! Hugs, Chrisx

Sandra Cox said...

I want that mouse-er-money trap. Heh. Love the post.
Hope your b-day weekend was wondrous, dear Elizabeth.

Neet said...

What a great idea - a very thought provoking way of getting your point over Elizabeth. I am sure Bleubeard had a hand in this also. I love how you have used the razor blades and graters to illustrate how your money is shaved and the trap is absolutely brilliant.
Hugs, Neet xxx

Jenn Jilks said...

These are really fun! You have amazingly creative ideas.