Thursday, April 27, 2023

Heading to Japan

 

Bleubeard and I are back at Art Journal Journey today.  We are hosting this month with our Recycle, Reuse, and/or Repurpose theme.  Tonight we will also join Nicole and her Friday Face Off.

As you can see, Bleubeard and I are headed to Japan.

The first thing we did was check out the cherry blossoms that are now in bloom.  Then we visited Mount Fuji, which you see in the background.  Even though we could have, Bleubeard and I decided to not climb the mountain, a volcano, to reach the shrine at the peak.  We also learned Mount Fuji is considered the sacred symbol of Japan.

Next we visited Kyoto where we saw children in traditional costumes.  This also qualifies for Nicole's Friday Face Off.

While in Kyoto, we visited Shingon, and the Toji temple. EDIT: Originally there were two Buddhist temples sitting side by side, but one, Saiji, which means "West Tempe," was destroyed.  The Toji, which means "East Temple" still remains in Kyoto.  It is famous for its five story Yasaka pagoda shrine. The temple dates from the 8th century.  According to Japan Travel: 

Toji Temple was built in 796, soon after Kyoto's founding.  It is the only remaining of the three temples that were allowed to be built in Kyoto at that time.

You can learn more about it here.  Maruyama Park is in the foreground of the above picture,


This page started with a thick background that came from a set of knives I was given one year for my birthday.  I thought the color of the heavy cardboard was the perfect background for the colors of the images I cut from a couple of travel brochures I received in 2010.  The travel company, no longer in business, was trying to sell their services in Japan.  Everything except the thread I used to sew the images to the cardboard was recycled or repurposed.

Bleubeard and I are delighted you dropped by today.  We look forward to seeing what you recycle, repurpose, or reuse when you join us at Art Journal Journey.  We also hope to see you at Friday Face Off, where all you need is a face, any face.


22 thoughtful remarks:

Mae Travels said...

Nice images! I love Kyoto, where I vistied several of the 1500 Buddhist temples, which are amazing. There are also something like 500 Shinto shrines. I’m not sure what you had in mind when. you mentioned “the only one.”

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Rita said...

Dagan and Leah went to Japan when Ian was a baby to visit her brother, Aaron, when he was stationed there in the Navy. Ian was nine months old and he was good on that long flight both ways. They loved it there and really want to go back for another visit and take both boys. :)

Let's Art Journal said...

What a gorgeous page! Loving the recycled images that you used and I'd love to see those cherry blossoms in person, I bet they're amazing 😊. I hope you are keeping well and sending you happy and creative wishes! Take care! Hugs, Jo x

Elephant's Child said...

Beautiful. Your work showcases parts of Japan I would love to see.

Neet said...

Funnily enough I have just said on another blog how I enjoy Asian themed pages in a journal. What a lovely surprise to find your collage is all about Japan. A fascinating country, a colourful culture.
Your two little girls are adorable in their national costumes and the cherry blossom is something I would love to see in person.
Hugs, Neet xxx

CJ Kennedy said...

Looks like you made a new travel brochure for Japan.

Jenn Jilks said...

This is such an interesting culture. My best friend in elementary school is of Japanese heritage. Such a great family.

My name is Erika. said...

I was just saying to my husband last night that it was 5 years ago right now when I was in Japan. If I ever get back I want to go during cherry blossom season. I bet it is amazing. That photo with Mt. Fuji is gorgeous. They say the mountain is more often shrouded in clouds than clear, so whoever snapped that photo had both cherry blossoms and a beautiful view. Nice page for AJJ. I hope you're having a great week and I'm wondering if Sally is home yet? Hugs-Erika

pearshapedcrafting said...

How lovely! I really love the pages that you used on here(you know I love it when you sew!) Hugs, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

Japan is so lovely and you chose some beautiful images to illustrate it. A lovely piece, Elizabeth.

Divers and Sundry said...

Now I want to go to Japan :) I'll try to watch a sumo match while I'm there.

Sandra Cox said...

This is pretty. I like the idea of recycle, repurpose, reuse:)

Iris Flavia said...

Great post. Both my parents visited Japan and loved it.

Dianne B. Carey said...

Beautiful pages Elizabeth! I'm a fan of Japanese culture, and always enjoy seeing their gardens and traditional costumes. It's cherry blossom season there now, and I've been drawing cherry blossoms and trees in my Hobonichi. Sorry it's been so long since I visited...I was barely able to figure out Blogger and get onto my own blog! ugh. Hope you and the kitty posse are well. Hugs from Ohio!

Caty said...

How beautiful is this page Elizabeth! I really like how you recycled the cardboard box for the background. The photographs are very beautiful, and those girls so sweet.
Very happy Thursday, big hugs
Caty

Christine said...

Very nice!

sirkkis said...

They are sweet hearts. Thank you for sharing, lizabeth.
Happy weekend xx

Gene Black said...

one of the joys of travel is exploring other cultures.

carol l mckenna said...

Oh what a wonderful adventure for you and wonderful photos of Japan ~ they are so creative ~ love the little girls ~ adorable ~

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

DVArtist said...

This is gorgeous. I loved Japan when I visited there. I told Mr. M., when I returned that if I was single I would move there. LOL Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a lovely day.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Beautiful.

NatureFootstep said...

nice, my daughter and grandchildren are in Japan right now. :)