Sunday, February 19, 2023

Monday Murals: Preparing For Lent

 

It's time once again to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals.  Even though it's still Sunday in my world, please be aware that Sami's mural link goes live at 10:01 a.m. my time today.  

I have several friends who observe lent, which starts this Wednesday.  I thought I would honor those friends and prepare for Lent with this mural I found at my local Long John Silver's.

For those of you who live outside the states, Long John Silver's is a fast food chain specializing in seafood.  Their prices seem to fluctuate because they have been in and out of bankruptcy and company changes over the past two decades.

File:LJS classic.jpg  I found this image on the internet,.  It is the old Cape Cod style building and is like the LJS in my neighborhood.  You can find it on 21st Street North, near Amidon in Wichita, Kansas (USA).
 
If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.  Thanks for visiting Bleubeard and me today, too.


15 thoughtful remarks:

Jenn Jilks said...

That is a lovely mural. It is interesting when you can show history with them.

Valerie-Jael said...

Very interesting! Hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

I like the mural. I like the vintage look. Although I guess I wouldn't put Long John's Silvers fast food into the same place as El Joy's place probably is. Oh the marketing propaganda. Smile. And I can see why you said the building looks like a Cape Cod style building but I also don't think it looks very Cape Cod like. More like modern American busy shopping strip. I've never been to a Long John Silver's as we don't have any around her, so perhaps I shouldn't judge. They may not do well in this area, just like the 2 Red Lobsters that went in both went out of business when you have lots of fresh seafood local seafood places. Thanks for sharing. hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

We don't have a Long John Silver. The mural reminds me that the Knights of Columbus will be starting up their Friday Fish Fry

Mae Travels said...

I wonder if the creator of that mural was purposely exaggerating the retro clothing and styles, or if it’s a copy of an actual old image. Sometimes those old-time images are intended to overstate the differences with the past. Anyhow it’s interesting that you found this one in your local Long John Silver’s. I think that there was once an outlet of this chain near me, but I think it was closed in one of the reorganizaitons — I. have never eaten at this chain.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Good mural

Hena Tayeb said...

A great find.

Iris Flavia said...

A very beautiful retro mural, so well done.
One can feel how war was behind and a new life begun.
Happy faces, cool cars, no more hunger - oh, my W had to eat fish-heads in WWII, I hear so many stories of the bad, dark times...

Despite I´m not a seafood lover I crave (a wee bit) Fish ´n chips and oh, I would love to go there in that car!
An ex-boyfriend let me drive his 1970´s orange Holden. Huge steering wheel and all. Cool times.

Bertiebo said...

It looks like a happy place

Sami said...

I like the retro look mural, very well done.
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Elizabeth.

kathyinozarks said...

I love the mural

magiceye said...

Attractive mural.

Cloudia said...

Good play on the theme! Thank you!

Linda said...

Neat mural. There is a burger place in the former Long John Silver’s building around here. The style is distinctive.

Divers and Sundry said...

Fish for Lent is a thing around here, too. Some of the Catholic churches offer Friday night suppers.