Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Second on the 2nd: Shapes

 

Some of you may remember when I showed these three pages I painted based on a Willa Wanders lesson by Julie Hamilton on the study of shapes.

  These are the shapes I created based on the lesson.

  This is one of the pieces I created from this lesson.  I made a wonky table that holds a vase of flowers, a cup of tea, and a coaster. 

  For this, I created a table top with a table runner.  I then added three different sized mugs to the table.  The nice thing was, I wasn't concerned about perspective or size, just shapes.

  For the left side, I originally had the drink glass, which is sitting on the coaster, turned the opposite direction.  When I glued it in place, I thought it looked like a vessel.  Now I wish I had gone with my original design.  For the right side, I cut and included the drink coming out of the pot.  Silly idea, but at least the cup and saucer are catching the drink.
 
On another note, Bleubeard and I had a new style we were working on.  Apparently it's quite popular in some collage and mixed media circles.  It's called Paper Piecing and it is exactly how it sounds.

  We called this The Dresser.

I am not good at creating art such as faces and anything realistic. It is just not in my wheelhouse and I don't really want to paint or create mixed media like that.  However, I LOVE making wonky abstract-like pieces like those I showed above.  I love this type of art, so you can see why I brought them back as my Second look on the 2nd.  They are also my idea of perfect collage fodder and Bleubeard agrees.

Now it's time to share your own Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any length, any artistic endeavor is acceptable, as long as it's been published sometime in the past.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit. 

 


 

But wait!  I also have a piece for today that deals with shapes.  This is for Art Journal Journey, where Bleubeard and I are hosting.

I love making tables and other furniture, so this was fun.  Everything here was left over from other projects.  Only the shapes have been changed!

I've included a few detail shots:



Bleubeard and I are thrilled you joined us for a second look and a new look, too.  We hope you will be inspired to join us at Art Journal Journey with your take on Collage Fodder, Food and Drink, or both.

  We are also joining AEDM.

20 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

I love your colourful creative work.

Iris Flavia said...

Fun work, very creative!

Valerie-Jael said...

Lots of fun ideas and shapes. I will link to 2nd on the 2nd tomorrow, I need a rest today. Hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

Delightful

My name is Erika. said...

I remember these collages. They were lots of fun then, as they are lots of fun now. I like the new one you created with the table. And I'm a little disappointed with how arteveryday month is set up this year. What do you think? hugs-Erika

Deniz Bevan said...

Ooh, I like your shapes! I really love the watercolour look to them. It must be so much fun designing the pieces!

Empire of the Cat said...

I remember this post and this lesson, thanks for sharing it again, and I like your new piece with the table, lovely.

Nancy said...

The offerings on Willa Wanders site are so much fun, including this one. Those painted papers are a great foundation. And I like how you combined so many materials- is that a security envelope lining you used? Clever.

Christine said...

Nice work!

My name is Erika. said...

Did you happened to check your email? And did you fix my link? I can’t do anything right now as my email will explain. Thanks

Michelle said...

These pieces look really fun! I bet it was a blast to make them.

Michelle said...

And oops! I thought we were supposed to attach the original post - as opposed to creating an new post with old art work. I’ll do better next month.

Darla said...

These collage pieces are wonderful. It appears you are channeling Matisse. I hope you do more of these.

Leah said...

These are so fun!!

nwilliams6 said...

Fabulous images, shapes, and pages, Elizabeth. This makes me want to try this!!! Hugz

pearshapedcrafting said...

These are absolutely brilliant Elizabeth-I have to give this a try! Hugs, Chrisx

Neet said...

What a brilliant idea. Too often art becomes tense but this is a lovely loose way of depicting art and I just love the various shapes you have used. It is something I wouldn't mind trying out myself.
Hugs Neet xxx

Lowcarb team member said...

Nice to see these ...

All the best Jan

craftytrog said...

I really love all of these collages Elizabeth! They are very inspiring.
Alison

Divers and Sundry said...

I love collage and am enjoying your pieces :)