Monday, October 31, 2022

Go ask Alice

 

Happy Halloween to those who observe it.  This is my final entry for Elle from Empire of the Cat, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme, which I'm sure you know by now, is Fairytales, Folklore, and Fables - Tell Me A Story. Bleubeard and I want to thank Elle for her wonderful hosting skills and her great prompts she shared.  We are delighted she joined us as this month's host.

For my final entry, I am grabbing three napkins.


My friend Jo has put napkins we received in the swap to good use.  Instead of three posts with napkins, I am using three napkins in one spread, two of which I received in the swap and one of which I was gifted.

I'm going to be perfectly honest.  I have never read the story of Alice In Wonderland, but I found a one-page synopsis on the internet. 

This, however, is my interpretation based on the napkins I have. It all began when Alice was sitting with her sister along a river bank and fell asleep.

Alice thought she saw saw a rabbit duck down a hole, so she followed. 

The rabbit was yelling something about time, then ran into a room behind a door. 
 
She lost track of the rabbit, but noticed a Cheshire Cat sitting in a tree.  It was then she found a cake that read "eat me," which she did.  She immediately grew smaller and the cat seemed to grow larger and grin bigger. She then followed the rabbit into the room.

Inside the room, she was surprised there was no rabbit, but instead a walrus.

The walrus told Alice not to miss the tea party.  When she got to the party, she ran into the dormouse and the Mad Hatter, who was eating a sandwich. 
 
The caterpillar slithered under the teapot thinking the spout was actually his hookah.

The baker stood in the corner crying.

That's when the rabbit reappeared, brought out his pocket watch, and told Alice to leave the tea party because the Queen of Hearts had requested her presence.

Alice was now her normal size when she went to meet the queen.  The Queen of Hearts insisted Alice join her in a game of croquet.  Alice rescued her flamingo the queen was using as a mallet, but the hedgehog the queen was using for a ball managed to escape.

It is all curiouser and curiouser.  Then it was time for Alice to awaken from her dream.

I suspect Lewis Carroll is rolling over in his grave the way I fractured his beloved fairy tale.  I began by coloring 110 lb cardstock with several Staz-on reinkers and 91% isopropyl alcohol.  I then used the images I had from the three napkins to concoct this fractured fairy tale.
 
Bleubeard and I are really thrilled you joined us today, our final entry this month at Art Journal Journey honoring Elle's theme of Fairytales, Folklore, and Fables - Tell Me A Story.

We would like to thank Elle again for her great hosting this month and all the great prompts she shared, too.

13 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Love your take on Alice in Wonderland - a book I grew up with. I can (and do) still recite some of it.

Rita said...

I've seen movie versions but have never actually read the book. :)

Valerie-Jael said...

I think Lewis Carroll would enjoy your version of Alice, I certainly did! Thanks for sharing. Can you please link me again?Have a great, new week, hugs, Valerie

Valerie-Jael said...

I just left a comment and it got eaten up, grrrr! I am sure lewis Carroll would enjoy your version of Alice, I certainl did! Could you please link me again this evening?. Haved a great, new week, hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

You had a fun take on the story. Alice in Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking Glass are two of my favorite stories. I also love the John Tenniel illustrations.

Iris Flavia said...

Great version! I am with you, I never saw the whole tale, just a bit via YouTube.
We were on Island Rügen, my Brother, our Mum and me.
It was her last holiday, cancer won, and we were in a restaurant were Alice was, so later we watched it. The short version. Mum enjoyed it. And we the time with her.

kathyinozarks said...

Awesome page Elizabeth and loved your story of it too. I have never read this story either. I have begun collecting a few classics this year that I figured I should read.
Happy Monday and Halloween Do you have trick or treators?

My name is Erika. said...

Those napkins worked great. And what a fun page. I think Lewis Carroll probably got a kick out of your fracturing his story. You included so many fun characters too. This is a great way to end the month! Hope you are having a not so spooky Halloween. See you tonight for T. hugs-Erika

Empire of the Cat said...

I loved your reinvention of Alice in Wonderland today, I am also amazed at how many people have never read the book. What did everyone read in their childhood I wonder? Thanks for inviting me to host this month and thanks for joining me for the October theme at Art Journal Journey this month Elle/Empire of the Cat xx

Christine said...

Lovely take on the theme! Happy Halloween.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I read both of Alice's adventures and I love your own fractured version - you really did make the very best use of those napkins! A great finale for Elle's AJJ theme, hugs, Chrisx

NatureFootstep said...

lol, Love it. Alice In Wonderland is a great story and well known. It is also a movie from Disneyland I think. Using the napkin s was a great idea.

Divers and Sundry said...

I've always loved both the Alice books and have re-read them many times. Such wild ideas and characters!