Thursday, September 8, 2022

Herb Hair Cut Day

 

 Let's head to the herb "garden" for an early September update.

It's time to once again trim my herbs. My cilantro is not doing well (the pot with the red label).  Others are (from left) sage, oregano, a weed, and more oregano.

Again, a weed has grown where Thai basil should have, cantaloupe, more oregano, and the last of my dead mint.  I lost three different mints this year.   You can see how the tree that sits near the fence has started to lose its leaves.

Variegated sage and a flowering plant the birds gave me is on the stool.  Large pot had sunflowers until either the bunnies or the squirrels decided they wanted them instead.

My lambs ear is dying back, but from what I've read, it will return next spring.  I need to get rid of the dead leaves today.  My goal is to eventually plant it in the front flower bed.  

I bought the licorice plant because it looked healthy.  Now it is out of control and I don't even know how to harvest it!

Behind the little cart is the tarragon, which is doing OK.

Variegated oregano and lavender live in the little cart.

More cantaloupe, my overgrown basil, dill that has gone to seed, and in the back is my catnip that neither cat likes.

On my table are lemongrass, cilantro and dill.

The metal roll around cart holds fennel, dill, and more dill, in addition to an airplane/spider plant.

My rosemary is showing definite signs of age.

My basil is cut and ready for storage.

Thanks for dropping by today.  I'm thrilled you took time to visit my messy herb garden that hopefully replaces the bamboo I'm still trying to kill.  Bleubeard is glad he didn't have to help because he doesn't like to get his paws dirty.


13 thoughtful remarks:

Mae Travels said...

I used my herbs constantly before we went on our long trip at the end of July. Some were even pretty small from use by then. Then I gave them away since we couldn't water them any more -- I'd love to know how they did -- I wonder if they got big and bushy like yours. But I think the recipients probably also used them and didn't let them get too big. I try to eat them fresh, mainly, rather than storing them.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Valerie-Jael said...

Isn't it strange that plants you want to kill off thrive, and those which should thrive don't. Don't work too hard. Here it has cooled off a bit and we had some rain, great! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Christine said...

Your herbs look healthy!

CJ Kennedy said...

I hope it's cooled off enough for you to work outside. I'm like Bleubeard. I hate gardening and getting my paws dirty.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Our basil did well this year. Caprese salad has become a staple in this house.

Mia said...

I did not know that you have so many wonderful herbs in your garden, Elizabeth. I really LOVE it. Enjoy your beautiful plants, my friend.

jinxxxygirl said...

WEll you are doing waaay better than me... I only planted one houseplant ivy this year... Donation from brother in law.. The rest are volunteer weeds i throw some water on once in a while.. BUT they are PRETTY weeds...lol Hugs! deb

Elephant's Child said...

Lovely - and most of them look to be doing well. None of our cats have ever liked cat nip.

Carola Bartz said...

Your herbs look great, Elizabeth!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, the herbs are looking good and I bet you will find lots of use for those. Just wanted to thank you for the kind words too. It's been a hard day but grateful that the queen went peacefully with her family around her. I think it will be a sad time for everyone, she will be gratelly missed. Sending love and hugs, Angela xXx

Iris Flavia said...

I was about to take the herbs just inside come winter - wrong?
Oh, I forgot to go to the nursery and ask for a licorice plant, darn. Too late now, I guess.
I´ll pin a note on the fridge for next Spring!
Please, can you explain what you mean with "ready for storage"? Mine is still outside and doing well...

Lowcarb team member said...

Your herbs look good :)

All the best Jan

Divers and Sundry said...

My plants have suffered so much from the heat. I'm sure your plants are appreciating your attentions. I hope they overwinter well. Maybe your mint will come back from the roots? I've seen it happen. I'd gladly join you in the heat and dirt lol That's one of my favorite pastimes :)