Sunday, August 21, 2022

Monday Murals: Wichita Flag

 

It's Sunday, which means it's time once again to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals.  Even though it's still Sunday in my world, please be aware that Sami's mural link goes live at 11:01 a.m. my time today.  

I found this Wichita, Kansas flag in what we in the states call an alley.  I believe they are called laneways in other parts of the world.  I was unable to get closer to the side of the container to see what was written there. 

For those of you not familiar with Wichita's city flag, it received the most votes from a design created in 1937.   That means it is celebrating 85 years as Wichita's city flag this year.

It all started when the American Legion conducted a citywide flag design contest. The winning flag has been described as utilizing "patriotic American colors with a twist of Native American symbolism."  The Hogan in the middle of the flag is a Native American symbol that represents a permanent home, which in this case represents the city of Wichita.  The white circle represents the sun, while the white stripes are a symbol of courage.  The red and white stripes together are meant to represent honor and virtue.
 
Some believe Wichita's city flag is too similar to the New Mexico state flag.  There are, however, some distinct differences. The New Mexico flag is a Zia Indian (Native American) symbol of the sun.  The Wichita Flag has three rays extending in each direction which form the sun and a circle in the middle. The Zia has four rays.  It appears both are Native American inspired flags, though.  It also appears Wichita's flag was influenced by symbols utilized by Plains Native American Tribes.
 
This container was found between the 800 and 900 block on 1st Street in Wichita, Kansas (USA).
 
Here is an update on the 108th and final Avenue Art Days mural.

It will be completed between August 25th and the 28th.   At least we know what the background will look like.  This is the west facing wall of Moler's Camera, located at 2609 E Douglas in Wichita, KS (USA).
 
If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.  Thanks for stopping by this weekend. Bleubeard and I are delighted you could join us.
 


23 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

I love that your city flag pays tribute to the Native Americans. I am looking forward to seeing that container mural in the fullness of time.

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you for explaining the flag!
Wonderful.
And that it looks a bit like Mexico, why not? We are one!

Valerie-Jael said...

Another nice mural. I have no idea what a laneway is, but in Elgland we had alleys and back alleys! Hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

Nice flag. And maybe you'll even get photos of the mural in progress? Happy Sunday my friend. Hugs-Erika

Christine said...

Very nice

RO said...

That's really interesting info, and I totally adore the Native American reference which is truly important. Hope you're doing well, and sending lots of hugs, RO

My name is Erika. said...

I was just looking through facebook to see if anyone I knew was up to anything exciting, and one of my former colleagues whose son is a professional mural painter posted. It was an interview with her son as he starts to prepare to paint a mural in NY state. Anyhow, this base coat (as in your photo) has a name. It's called a doodle grid. Thought you might like that bit of info.

Jackie McGuinness said...

I don't think it is much like New Mexico's. We call them alleys usually too. We have a Graffiti Alley downtown that is full of murals.

Divers and Sundry said...

It's a great design, not cluttered like so many.

Tom said...

..I will be looking forward to its completion.

kwarkito said...

I like this design

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Like E.C., I was glad to learn homage was being paid to Native American symbols. What an interesting project the purple wall is. I'll be interested to see the completed project. I love murals on city buildings. They add so much beauty.

Mae Travels said...

The flag design is obviously very pleasing — it appears in so many murals you have posted. If it were not so captivating, I don’t think anyone would reproduce it on a wall!


best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

CJ Kennedy said...

I like how the Wichita flag embraces patriotic colors and Native American themes. The flag for the city of Boston is very boring. Wikipedia described the Boston flag as a city seal on a bed sheet. 😺

DVArtist said...

I really am sorry that this will be the last mural. It is just wonderful that your city did this. Hope you had a nice weekend.

Jenn Jilks said...

That is a mighty fine mural!

Jeanie said...

I like this -- and the thoughts behind it. It's really quite striking.

Sami said...

85 years as Wichita's flag is a long time! Nice mural and symbolism.
Looking forward to the new mural.
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Elizabeth.

Bertiebo said...

Very interesting to read about your flag

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous great colours and brilliant result x

Cloudia said...

That was really interesting. Thank you for sharing.

magiceye said...

Cool flag and thank you for the interesting history.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I'm looking forward to seeing that mural when it's done. I like the base color. I haven't gotten out much to take photos this year. And some day Teddy & I hope to return to T Day posts.