Sunday, June 12, 2022

Monday Murals: Kansas

 

 It's Sunday, which means it's time once again to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals.  Even though it's still Sunday in my world, please be aware that Sami's mural link goes live at 11:01 a.m. my time today. 

Obviously, this is called Kansas.

I didn't realize until I got home, how you can't see much of anything.

No matter where I stood, I didn't get a decent photo.

I attempted to lighten the bull using Photoshop, but only made matters much worse.

Instead, I managed to distort the color, which was closer to the first image I showed.  
 
I'm having a bit of trouble interpreting this mural, which was painted on slats of a boarded up building at 3208 East Douglas in Wichita, Kansas (USA).  It's obvious the cow's ear is tagged (the mark or tag used to show the cow's owner) with the Wichita flag. The scene on the right appears to be the Yellow Brick Road possibly leading to the Emerald City.  My problem is, Kansas is far better known for its wheat, not cows.  I couldn't find the artist who created this.

If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.  Thanks for stopping by to visit Bleubeard and me today, too. 


26 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Intriguing. Perhaps some one who visits will know more and can tell you, and us, more about this mural.

aussie aNNie said...

Adorable and very lovely designs ...love the colours used. ♥

Jenn Jilks said...

That is tricky in the half sun/shade. I still enjoyed it!
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

Mae Travels said...

The deep shadow definitely makes it hard to interpret that mural!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Jeanie said...

We have a mural like that -- in such a dark place with shadows you can't get a photo. It's a shame they bothered there instead of a better spot!

My name is Erika. said...

It's too bad you have so much shadow in the photo, but I can see the Emerald City. Maybe the artist is referring back to Dodge City and days when the cattle trails lead through the state (which I think is what they did). Maybe this used to be a steak restaurant, but since I've never been to Wichita, I am obviously only guessing. Happy Sunday. hugs-Erika

jinxxxygirl said...

Up until the last two photos i swore it was a naked woman.... lol... Hugs! deb

Sami said...

What a pity about the shadow on the mural. It's quite colourful :)
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Elizabeth.

Christine said...

Good mural.

Tom said...

...it's difficult to photograph in such a deep shade. I like rainy or cloudy days. Perhaps you will be in the area when the sunn isn't as bright. Enjoy your new week.

Lowcarb team member said...

A shame about the shadow on the mural, but it is colourful.

Wishing you a good week ahead.

All the best Jan

Mia said...

Hi Elizabeth, I would love to join you for the napkins swap. If possible, please count me in. Kisses from Greece, Mia
PS: I always enjoy your lovely murals!!!

Iris Flavia said...

Isn´t it funny how our eyes can catch things that are hidden to AI?
I often have the same disappointment when I see the pics I took. I knew it looked good... to my eyes.
Our brains are simply fantastic and add from memory what is needed.

Linda said...

Some murals are difficult to photograph. You did a good job of making it possible for us to see this one.

Bertiebo said...

I also thought I saw a naked woman, but that's not it.

dee Nambiar said...

Thank you for lightening up the image and showing us that Kansas cow.
:)

Have a lovely week.

Valerie-Jael said...

I'm sure it's a nice mural but very difficult to see here. Have a great, new week, hugs, Valerie

Valerie-Jael said...

Nice mural Elizabeth, have a great day. I left a comment earlier, it's gone again! Hugs, Valerie

magiceye said...

Ah well you tried your best!

Jackie McGuinness said...

It would be great to know the story behind it. Best I could think of was maybe the boarded up building was a butcher shop?

Birgit said...

I'm sorry for not visiting but I just feel so busy. I haven't even been playing in my craft room. I like the cow just looking at us. Can you believe that Judy Garland would be 100 yrs old now.

Cloudia said...

Interesting workshop on problems of photography. And an interesting mural!

Bill said...

It's too bad there wasn't an artist name, at least they could be looked up. Nice job of taking the photo of the mural.

Alice said...

I know the challenge, I have shadows here in sunny Savannah. Have a good one

CJ Kennedy said...

Too bad the awning caused a shadow. It looks like a fun mural. Maybe the artist chose a cow as a fun way to display the Wichita flag as the ear tag.

craftytrog said...

An interesting mural Elizabeth!