Monday, May 2, 2022

Second on the 2nd: A tea inspired layered quiltlet

 

Today I have a second look that echoes our host at Art Journal Journey.  That means it involves a bird.  However, it is also T Stands For Tuesday, so we will use Inlinkz for our second look and Mr. Linky for T Tuesday.  IF your second look and your T Tuesday post are the same, PLEASE ADD IT BOTH PLACES.

My Second Look is from December 4, 2016.  Although there were two challenge blogs mentioned in the original post, I have removed those from this re-post. 

My Second Look is entitled:

A Tea Inspired Layered Quiltlet

Today I'm joining two of my favorite challenge blogs with a single post.  

This is my offering, a quiltlet, and I'm going to walk you through how I made it.


I began by creating a few tape transfers of birds.  I overlaid one tape transfer on a teabag holder.   Using Ultimate! glue, I then adhered those to the actual tea bag that came from the holder.

It's really hard to see the tea bag holder through the tape transfer in this photo.  I was also surprised how long it took the tea bag to dry so I could use it.

While the tea bag was drying, I painted a strip of white sheet I had torn to size.  I know how much the recipient likes these colors, so that's why I chose them.

Next I adhered the teabag and tape transfer assembly to the fabric.  So far, there are four layers.

To shift gears, I overdyed the grape juice fabric I made a few weeks ago with strong coffee and allowed it to dry.  By this time, my entire craft room smelled good.

Because I'm mailing this gift, I didn't want a lot of bulk.  Therefore, instead of adding batting between the front and back layers, I simply sewed circles around the back of the piece (a single layer) and added Bleubeard's and my names to the back.

Next, I sewed the two fabrics together using a zig zag stitch.  To make sure it would hang without flapping or flopping, I added a piece of Starbuck's stirrer stick.  You can see part of what I removed above the quiltlet.  Then I sewed it in place.

Finally, using my hole guide, I cut two holes using my Crop-a-dile and added the two fibers.

Once I scanned the piece, I was thrilled to see the tape transfer actually looked as good as it did in person.

Now all I have to do is send it flying on its merry way and hope it arrives on time.

Meanwhile, please join me for coffee and/or tea (or any other drink you desire).  Of course, I appreciate your visiting me, too.  You are always too kind and I am very grateful.

_____________________________________________________

Can you guess the recipient of the quiltlet?  She is a T Tuesday participant.

Now it's time to share your Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.  I would also appreciate it if you would link your post back to Second on the 2nd at Altered Book Lover.  Please be aware this link is only open for five days, so linking on the 2nd is preferred.



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter


Remember, this post and link party is for Second on the 2nd.  If you are here ONLY for T Tuesday, it will be the next post down.  If your T Tuesday and Second on the 2nd posts are the same, please link both places.


11 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Good morning Elizabeth, strange, I have a quiltet exactly like that one hanging on my kitchen wall! Happy 2nd on the 2nd! Hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

I am always awed at your creativity - and would like to try that tea.

Iris Flavia said...

You nearly gave me a heart attack as I thought it´s Tuesday!!! Help! No all good, it´s Monday after all.
Hmmm and now I´d like some cinnamon tea!

CJ Kennedy said...

Your so clever and make beautiful quiltlets. I adore the one you made me with the black cat like Ink

My name is Erika. said...

I love that quiltlet. I remember it. I actually even saw one of those warblers at my bird feeder a couple of times lately. It's a pretty bird, and I like how you tied this second look to AJJ, and maybe even to T day also. I guess I will wait until tonight to see about that. Hope May is treating you well so far. Hugs-Erika

Sami said...

Cinnamon spice tea sounds divine! I love the smell of cinnamon, and I like what you did to the page Elizabeth :)

Cloudia said...

Such satisfying detail. See you for T

Sharon Madson said...

I love your creation, Elizabeth. Youa are certainly a wonderful artist.

Jenn Jilks said...

Nicely done. You are so creative! I am feeling lazy today.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

this is a really cute piece ELizabeth !! I especially like the background; reminds me of tie dye and the little bird is a nice touch; don't tell the tabbies I said so though !!

~~~~~~~~~~ wavez two ewe bleu and squiggles; hope thiz findz ewe both
doin soooper grate !! ☺☺♥3

Jeanie said...

I love the treatment on this. You always think so creatively and outside the box and the result is beautiful.