Sunday, May 1, 2022

A genuine winner

 

Today we welcome a new host, as we do the first of every month at Art Journal Journey.  We are truly delighted to have a first time host, Matilde as our host this month.  Her theme is Birds, and I believe this will be a favorite of many art journalers, altered book artists, and digital artists.

The tickets might pick the winner, but the real winner is this gorgeous bird sitting amid a cluster of red berries.  I have created a few close-up images, too.
 


 
I started this page by spritzing several spray mists on 110 lb cardstock.  These were commercial mists, not the shimmering mists I create.  I got a bit carried away with the orange and green and almost ended up with mud.  Thankfully, the sprays just turned a deep rust color, which was perfect for the background.  I sewed the tickets and the focal image to the background using variegated green thread.  I contemplated adding words to one of the tickets, then decided to leave it blank and allow the viewer to decide what this should be called.

Matilde, Chris, Erika, Valerie, Yvonne, Bleubeard, and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you this month at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Birds.
 
We welcome art journal pages that meet the theme requirements, altered book pages, canvases, loose or stand alone pages including fabric and digital art.  We do not allow cards, tags, index cards, ATCs, or ATCoins, unless they are part of a journal page, and as much as we don't want to, will be forced to delete your entry.  Be aware, we also will be forced to delete your entry if it is not in English and we are unable to translate your blog post.  Hope to see you there soon. 

 

23 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

I am bird obsessed and really looking forward to this month's offerings. And this creation definitely doesn't disappoint.

Matilde said...

Oh, this is lovely! You have created a beautiful background with the mists. It's my favourite way for creating my own backgrounds :) I'm glad you like my theme :) Have a nice Sunday!

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page, love the colourful finch, so pretty. I am looking forward to this theme, as you know, I love birds! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiul work and whilst watching I hear the birds chirping outside, by golly they have something to say!
I think they love your work, too!

Meggymay said...

Its a fantastic background for the beautiful bird that features on this page, I love it. I think this is going to be a popular theme this month for AJJ.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

This is a beautiful page to start the new theme with Elizabeth. I love that bird in the berries and the tickets you added. Oh I miss being able to sew right now. I can't wait to be able to get it out and add some stitching. I love how yours is looks. Happy May to you and already it's another new month. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

Beautiful page Elizabeth for the new theme.
I love birds so a great theme this month.
Happy May Day

CJ Kennedy said...

The colors of your background blend so well with the image of the bird and berries.

pearshapedcrafting said...

This a truly wonderful page Elizabeth! Those colours really do make the most amazing background for your beautiful bird - a real winner and perfect for Matilde's AJJ theme! Happy May Day, Hugs, Chrisx

Christine said...

Lovely page and a great theme for May!

Rita said...

What a fun theme! :)

junemac2 said...

Such beautiful work. Love the theme love your bird and its so apt on May the first. Happy May Day xxx

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely colors and creative feathered friends journal page ~ a Winner! Xo


Wishing you laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Sandra Cox said...

Oh, I love this. Happy Sunday.

Lowcarb team member said...

A beautiful page, I love the bird and the colours you've used.
Wishing you a happy month of May.

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

this is a beautiful piece, Elizabeth. I really do love the colors you used. Something about those together, I just gravitate to! Lovely.

Jenn Jilks said...

Thank you for trying to comment! I'm so sorry it didn't work out. You are kind to let me know you tried. That is all that counts!
Re: bird feeders, most of our nesting birds, the ones I see, eat bugs. Both the robins and the phoebes! We live in a rich forest, with tons of seeds, so it really doesn't make a difference. It does lure in the seed eating birds, having a feeder, but the bears really limit us! It is selfish to feed the birds, wanting to see them, and I cannot be selfish. There is avian flu going around, as well. So it is time.

Sharon Madson said...

Elizabeth, this is gorgeously done! I absolutely love your creation. Happy Day!

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful, lovely design and those colours work well together ♥

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a gorgeous page! All the elements you added to showcases that pretty bird beautifully, the colours are glorious and I love the stitching 😁. Matilde is such a fabulous artist and chose a wonderful theme, I have a busy week this week but I hope to join you soon! Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

craftytrog said...

A wonderful page Elizabeth! I love the bird and the stitching. This is a great new theme, looking forward to joining in.
Happy Friday,
Alison

sirkkis said...

Thank you dear Elizabeth for your kind comment and I'm sorry you've taken so much efforts for my blog. There are many blogs where are troubles with Google accounts. I've left messages to Google for them. On my desk top there are no troubles. It's Android mobile and tablets where are difficulties.
Your art page is really beautiful, I love it 👍♥️🐦
Have happy May 💐

Sharon Fritchman said...

Hi Elizabeth! I love your work of art. The background is beautifully done and perfect for the tickets and pretty robin!! The zig-zag stitching looks amazing, too, and is the perfect touch here. Thank you! Hugs, Sharon