Monday, May 2, 2022

T Stands For Second on the 2nd

 

If this post looks familiar, it's because I copied it from the one above.  You are definitely seeing double.  Today I have a second look that echoes our host at Art Journal Journey.  That means it involves a bird.  However, it is also T Stands For Tuesday, so we will use Mr. Linky for T Tuesday.  IF your second look and your T Tuesday post are the same, PLEASE ADD IT BOTH PLACES.

My Second Look is from December 4, 2016.  Although there were two challenge blogs mentioned in the original post, I have removed those from this re-post. 

My Second Look is entitled:

A Tea Inspired Layered Quiltlet

Today I'm joining two of my favorite challenge blogs with a single post.  

This is my offering, a quiltlet, and I'm going to walk you through how I made it.


I began by creating a few tape transfers of birds.  I overlaid one tape transfer on a teabag holder.   Using Ultimate! glue, I then adhered those to the actual tea bag that came from the holder.

It's really hard to see the tea bag holder through the tape transfer in this photo.  I was also surprised how long it took the tea bag to dry so I could use it.

While the tea bag was drying, I painted a strip of white sheet I had torn to size.  I know how much the recipient likes these colors, so that's why I chose them.

Next I adhered the teabag and tape transfer assembly to the fabric.  So far, there are four layers.

To shift gears, I overdyed the grape juice fabric I made a few weeks ago with strong coffee and allowed it to dry.  By this time, my entire craft room smelled good.

Because I'm mailing this gift, I didn't want a lot of bulk.  Therefore, instead of adding batting between the front and back layers, I simply sewed circles around the back of the piece (a single layer) and added Bleubeard's and my names to the back.

Next, I sewed the two fabrics together using a zig zag stitch.  To make sure it would hang without flapping or flopping, I added a piece of Starbuck's stirrer stick.  You can see part of what I removed above the quiltlet.  Then I sewed it in place.

Finally, using my hole guide, I cut two holes using my Crop-a-dile and added the two fibers.

Once I scanned the piece, I was thrilled to see the tape transfer actually looked as good as it did in person.

Now all I have to do is send it flying on its merry way and hope it arrives on time.

Meanwhile, please join me for coffee and/or tea (or any other drink you desire).  Of course, I appreciate your visiting me, too.  You are always too kind and I am very grateful.

_____________________________________________________

Can you guess the recipient of the quiltlet?  She is a T Tuesday participant.

Now it's your turn to share a drink inspired post.  You may share photos, a place you visited, an empty cup, a full cup, teapot, or mug, movies, postcards, books, magazines, sketches, mixed media, drawings, paintings, tags, scrapbooking, or other art that is digital, hybrid, or traditional, as long as it in some way relates back to a drink, any drink.  Regardless, please share below, then Bleubeard and I, along with other T gang friends will be by to visit.  Bleubeard would like to remind you that your photos may be taken at any time, not just on Tuesday.  And please check back often, because some are early T visitors and some visit much later on Tuesday afternoon.

 

 

 


Remember, this post and link party is for T Stands For Tuesday.   If your T Tuesday and Second on the 2nd posts are the same, please link both places.

Some of you may have read that I was under a tornado warning on Friday.  Luckily, the tornado struck to the east of me, but Sharon may have been much closer to the event than I.  Here are some reports of the event in case you are interested: CNN, Fox News, L.A. Times, and New York Post to name a few.  Electrical power was restored by Saturday afternoon to the majority of the county.

 

17 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

I really did think I was seeing double! Tornadoes are scary, glad you stayed safe. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for consistently showing us your beautiful creations.

Carola Bartz said...

Elizabeth, this is such a beautiful piece. I am always amazed of your creativity and all the things you make. I bet the recipient will be very happy about the quiltlet.
I'm glad you were safe in the tornado - they would scare me.

kathyinozarks said...

So happy you are safe too from that tornado. I really love this piece too lots of layers Happy T and thanks for hosting-hugs

Sharon Madson said...

Great post, Elizabeth. We were four miles from the tornado. We know of several people who lost their homes. The worst for us was loosing power from 8:30 until midnight, I can live with that. I really feel for the ones whose homes are gone. Happy T day.

Mae Travels said...

Good to hear that you weren’t hit by the tornado. I saw the reports, but had the impression that you lived in a more central part of the city. So I wasn’t too worried about you.

I’m back home now after 3 weeks of travel, and ready to say hi to more of the bloggers. Like you, I’ve been having comments marked as spam that were from people that post ALL THE TIME. Sometimes there are two or three comments on different posts, and some are improperly marked spam, others ok. I’m now checking spam every time. Strange!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

jinxxxygirl said...

Well i had no idea you were close to a tornado until i read some of the comments!! VERY glad you are safe! I have never done any kind of transfer. like yours so i may have to give it a try.. :) Happy T day! Hugs! deb

Linda Kunsman said...

Though I have no idea of the size of Wichita I was praying you weren't in the midst of that tornado! Another devastating and sad loss for others...
Your quiltlet is so beautiful! I love how perfectly your transfer came out. And you did a clever and wonderful job of making it so layered and yet flat enough for mailing. The stitching is always a special touch:). Happy T day!

Lisca said...

A tornado warning sounds scary. We don’t get them here, so I have no idea. But I’m so glad it didn’t get too near.
Your quilt let is lovely. Thanks for showing us how you did it. I have no idea what a tape transfer is. But the bottom line is that you glued that cute bird to the teabag holder and I must say it looks good.
I’m afraid I’ve not been able to de a second on the 2nd, as I’m not home and have no access to my computer. I’m sorry.
It was difficult enough to put this post together. (But I’m getting better at it)
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

Kate Yetter said...

Glad to hear the tornado missed you.
Your quiltlet is beautiful. I am loving all the colors in your background. I am sure the recipient will be thrilled.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful quiltlet! It was fun seeing how it all came together too 😀. That cinnamon tea sounds delicious. So sad about those affected by the tornado, I hope all is ok with you. Take care and Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

Divers and Sundry said...

Beautiful! I especially like your background.

Tornadoes are scary! I'm glad it missed you. Happy T Tuesday

Christine said...

Glad you are safe!

DVArtist said...

Glad you are safe. This is just beautiful. What you do with Tea is amazing. Have a great day.

Lowcarb team member said...

Tornadoes are scary, glad you stayed safe.

All the best Jan

pearshapedcrafting said...

It's such a beautiful quiltlet, I'm surprised I don't remember it! Sorry I didn't do a Second on the 2nd post. Hugs, Chrisx

carol l mckenna said...

this is so creative ~ wonderful! Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)