Sunday, April 3, 2022

Summer in the City

 

I'm joining Alison, aka Craftytrog, our host this month at Art Journal Journey, this time with a song for her Play it again, Sam theme.  Yesterday it was still cold, today it could be quite warm.  Instead of enjoying spring, I'm heading directly to summer, which will make some sun lovers very happy.  It isn't just summer, though!

It's Summer in the City, a song made popular by The Lovin' Spoonful.

I'm fairly certain you can read these lyrics.
 
Recorded in 1966 by The Lovin' Spoonful, this rock song was their only hit to reach Number 1 on the charts.  It was a departure from their normal folksy pop sound.

This song was different, in that it didn't romanticize the warm summer, but exposed the grit, grime, and noise of the daytime that was only relieved by the cool summer nights.

It appears the cool cat has found a kitty on the rooftop.

I drew the buildings directly on the vintage sheet music, then used watercolors to color each of the buildings.  The doors and windows were drawn using gel pens.  My friend Sharon sent me a cat die-cut.  I wanted to save it, so I outlined the cat on a piece of scratch paper, then colored it blue and added the whiskers and eyes.  The street was created using black watercolor.  The words of the song were created on copier/printer paper that was in the recycle box.
 
For Day 3 of 22, I recycled a sheet of vintage sheet music, words to the song on used copier/printer paper, and the cat on scratch paper.

But I've got more.

This is my completed March calendar page for those of you who enjoy reading the minutia I call my boring life.  I kept wanting to put the days in the wrong spot because I was so used to the other calendar/planner.

April music notes and note washi tape honor Alison's theme at Art Journal Journey.  Lots and lots of birthdays this month, including Jo's birthday today.  My calendar pages are quite wimpy compared to my friends who actually create lovely calendar pages.

Thanks for dropping by today and thanks for joining Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey.


19 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Summer? Bleah. Night or day.
Love your creation though and in particular the cat.

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, I love that song and you gave it the perfect home!
Sunny here, but way too cold.
Yay to music, all, April or year or life long!

Valerie-Jael said...

Both of your calendars are great. Love the song from Loving Spoonful, I used to enjoy their music beack in the day, it all seems so long ago! Hugs, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful happy post. xx

craftytrog said...

Yes!!! I'm singing along to that fabulous song, and lovin' your beautiful page Elizabeth! A great song for my theme at AJJ!
Great to see your calendars too, so nice to have a friends like you and Chris still doing this :-)
Happy Sunday to you and the cats dear Elizabeth.
Alison

CJ Kennedy said...

I like the way you interpreted the song. Always fun to see your calendar, too. Enjoy your day

Mae Travels said...

Yesterday I went to an art exhibit at the University of Michigan Museum of Art that included collages made with magazine page-cutouts and other recycled materials. You are in good company with many creative artists of the 20th century who developed the collage art form.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

Nice song and nice page. I like how you created those buildings. Now that song is in my head, and that's not a bad thing, I just wish we had summery weather. Yesterday was freezing, and this morning, cold, but at least the wind had died back. Have a super rest of your weekend. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

Great journal page, still waiting for spring to arrive and stay put lol Happy Sunday

Divers and Sundry said...

I remember when this song came out. I always did love it, being a city girl as I am :)

Linda said...

Love it!

Sandra Cox said...

I love this piece with the white kitty and the song you picked out;)
Looks like another full month:)
Hugs

Debra said...

I liked this a lot. I love city scenes. The song will be in my head all day! Love it!

Deb Terry said...

I've recently acquired some old sheet music.. looking forward to playing with it. LOVE what you've done with it here :)

Meggymay said...

A great song choice, I think it will be in my head for quite a while today, its a fantastic page.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

Wonderful song. I love the cat in there, too!

Deb said...

Wonderful page and great choice for a song, one of my all time favorites.

Neet said...

A great song which is now humking away inside my head with visions of your journal page dancing around with the lyrics.
Such a clever use of the sheet music and what a great idea the little cat is on the roof.
Hugs, Neet xxx

Sharon Fritchman said...

Another one of my favorite songs, Elizabeth! It depicts summer so perfectly!! Your page is just wonderful!! Thanks once again for sharing!!! (I have been loving seeing all of the songs for this challenge!)