Saturday, April 2, 2022

Second on the 2nd

 

As I try to do for my second look each month, I search for a previous post that relates to our current host at Art Journal Journey.  This one honors Alison aka Craftytrog with her theme Play it again Sam. It only took a few minutes to find and is from April, 2016.  I have included the main parts of the post and left out links.  This is a recycled post that also dealt with recycling.


Unlike the song I created art for yesterday, I am very familiar with American Woman which was written and recorded by the Guess Who, a remarkable Canadian band.  I was privileged enough to meet both guitarist/songwriter Randy Bachman and lead singer/songwriter Burton Cummings in 2002 during their Guess Who revival tour.  It helps to have musician friends in the industry.


Of course, I have loved the Guess Who since I first heard them.  They are definitely a hard rock band.  Like Pink Floyd and Vanilla Fudge (who most people have never heard of), I own every song the Guess Who ever performed, including those written and performed after Bachman left the group.  And yes, people have told me I was born a decade too late because I definitely identify with the hard (sometimes called psychedelic) rock of the 1970s, not the disco sounds of the 80s my school friends were listening to.



Who is more American than Barbie?  She is the quintessential American iconic woman, even though her fame is definitely International.

There was a great deal of controversy over the meaning of American Woman.

According to Jim Kale, the Guess Who's bassist as quoted in Wikipedia:
The popular misconception was that it was a chauvinistic tune, which was anything but the case. The fact was, we came from a very strait-laced, conservative, laid-back country, and all of a sudden, there we were in Chicago, Detroit, New York – all these horrendously large places with their big city problems. After that one particularly grinding tour, it was just a real treat to go home and see the girls we had grown up with. Also, the war was going on, and that was terribly unpopular. We didn't have a draft system in Canada, and we were grateful for that. A lot of people called it anti-American, but it wasn't really. We weren't anti-anything.
This spread was created in my Coll-aH-ge Too altered book for Day 16 of 22 days of recycling.  I used images from two Art Doll Quarterly magazines, one Martha Stewart magazine, computer generated text, and vintage sheet music.

_____________________________________________________

This is actually Day 2 of 22 and I recycled a blog post I created in 2016.  I hope this doesn't feel like a cop-out because I didn't create new art today.

Now it's time to share your own Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.  Please be aware this link is only open for 2 1/2 days (until T Tuesday goes live), so linking on the 2nd is preferred.   

Please share something from your blog that you showed previously. Be sure the link goes directly to your Second on the 2nd post and not your blog in general.

 


 


12 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

I am always super impressed at the work and the creativity you put into your posts. This is not an exception.

Lisca said...

What a great page! I love it. No, it's not a cop-out.
Yes, I remember American Woman. I was into hard rock too. And Yes, I remember Vanilla Fudge. The did a lot of cover versions if I remember rightly (but very good ones).

Valerie-Jael said...

I emeber this page, nd its great to see it again! Have a wonderful weekend, hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

I went back to April of 2016 also for my page. That's a good song. And a really fun page. I remember it from then, and it is a perfect tribute for not only Second on the second, but also for Alison's new theme. Happy weekend! hugs-Erika

Iris Flavia said...

I didn´t know about the background, thank you for putting it straight - and in such a great way, too!
Sadly I cannot come up with anything related...

CJ Kennedy said...

Fabulous page. I also enjoyed the explanation of the song.

Divers and Sundry said...

70s music is just better than 80s music ;) I agree Barbie is the perfect example of "American woman".

Mascha said...

Very creative! Never heard about Guess Who before...
I share a post from June 2016
Greetings from snowy Germany

Jeanie said...

I love the two different socks on Barbie's foot! That's a really good image for that song!

jinxxxygirl said...

Hi there Elizabeth!!! I've so enjoyed you coming to visit my new blog.. thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I've been thinking of joining the Tparty... the only reason i hesitate is the sheer number of wonderful partiers you have... I'm just not sure i could get around to them all in one day.. I do miss joining everyone for T... and i have more time in my life to consider this again... sooo... Is it poor Tparty etiquette to take more than one day to visit everyone?? :) Hoping your having a good day! Hugs! deb

Debra said...

Loving this art, my friend!

Neet said...

Well done on this page! I am with you regarding barbie, she is like a stick of rock with America stamped right through her.
A fab idea and a fab page.
Hugs, Net xxx