Friday, April 1, 2022

Play it again, Sam

 

Today we welcome a new host at Art Journal Journey, just as we do on the first day of every month.  This month we have a friend I admire.  It is Alison who some of us know as CraftytrogHer theme for the entire month of April is Play it again Sam.  For her theme, she wants us to create a journal page based on a favorite movie or song.

Alison gave us a movie with a song in it, so I did the same. 
 
The song, Singing in the Rain, was played during the opening credits of the film by the same name, but Gene Kelly made this song famous when he danced his way through puddles of water during a rainstorm.  Debbie Reynolds sang a portion of it near the end of the film.
 
These cuties represent the three stars of the film who are "singing and dancing in the rain."

The three stars of the film are Donald O'Conner, Debbie Reynolds, and Gene Kelly.

I have my friend Sharon at Foxy Stamping to thank for the images, which include the umbrellas, too.  Without those images, which she stamped (using black Staz-on) and sent me, this first journal page would never have been created.

I computer generated the words to the song, then colored them using a pink watercolor.  I fussy cut, then colored the images in blue and pink using a blue watercolor for the males and a pink watercolor for the female.   I fussy cut the umbrellas, then colored the pink one using a pink highlighter and the blue ones using a blue felt pen which I also used to write the actors' names.  The handles were colored using a gold gel pen.

Alison, Chris, Erika, Valerie, Yvonne, Bleubeard, and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you this month at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Play it again, Sam.
 
We welcome art journal pages that meet the theme requirements, altered book pages, canvases, loose or stand alone pages including fabric and digital art.  We do not allow cards, tags, index cards, ATCs, or ATCoins, unless they are part of a journal page, and as much as we don't want to, will be forced to delete your entry.  Be aware, we also will be forced to delete your entry if it is not in English and we are unable to translate your blog post.  Hope to see you there soon.  
 
As many of you long time visitors know, for 22 days in April, beginning with today and leading up to Earth Day, or what I call bEARTHday, I recycle, reuse, reduce, rethink, re-invent, redesign, re-craft, recover, restore, rebuild, revamp, reclaim, and/or re-purpose something to keep it out of the landfill.  I hope you will stop by each day and see what I have planned.  I've tried to keep most of my art simple, with the possible exception of journal art, which seems to take me forever to put together.  

One thing I want to emphasize is, I see people claim they have recycled something, but when you inspect the materials, oftentimes only a small portion of the project has been recycled.  It is my belief that at least 60% and hopefully more of the project should include recycled materials.

Here are a few of the materials I will be using in my journal pages.  You will find sheet music, old calendar pages, paint chip samples, and my substrates will be used file folders instead of card stock unless the cardstock has already been colored in anticipation of a specific journal page.  Look for used security envelopes, candy wrappers, cancelled postage stamps, and maybe even a few Chinese fortunes to make appearances in these journal pages, too.  Unlike in years past, I do not have anything pre-planned this year, with the exception of the gift I made for my friend Sally for her birthday.  

This is Day 1 of 22 and I created a journal page using sheet music I dug out of my neighbor's dumpster (with his permission) and gifted stamped images from my friend Sharon.


22 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Great first page for the theme, Elizabeth. Have a great day, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

I absolutely love your page!!!! So cute!
Guess to what I stepped outside... snow.

My name is Erika. said...

Singing in the Rain is a great song for the start of not only this challenge but April also. Those images from Sharon are adorable. I haven’t ever seen that stamp before either so it’s fun to see something new. You started with a great page for Alison’s theme and to start your bear th day (sorry phone won’t let me spell birthday as b earth day). Happy April!!!’ Hugs Erika

Elephant's Child said...

Hooray for recycling. I agree with you that more is better - but every bit is a start...
Hugs.

RO said...

I can't tell you how many times I watched that fabulous movie, and I loved each of the stars. What a wonderful and lovely tribute you've done! Hope everyone is doing well, and as always, I send many, many hugs! RO

craftytrog said...

A wonderful page for my theme Elizabeth! That was a great movie. I love those cute stamped images and the music sheet background. You were fortunate to spot that in your neighbour's bin!
Thanks for having me at AJJ!
Alison
P.S. Good luck with your recycling this month. I shall try my best :-)

Turid said...

What a cute page. And just perfect for me singing in a choir.

Sandra Cox said...

That piece is so clever. Love it.
Counting down to your (and Mateo's and Elizabeth's son's) bEARTHday:)
Have a grand weekend, my friend.

Meggymay said...

A super film to chose and those cute images of the little ones in the rain look fantastic. Its a fantastic page and I do like the way you used the sheet music background. I am humming the song in my head as well.
Have a good weekend.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

That's a fun film, and you did a great job showcasing it :) It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I think I have it on DVD...

Jeanie said...

My favorite movie! And your page is so charming, it just made me smile! Love the colors, the happiness, all of it!

DVArtist said...

Something about umbrellas. I love this. Have a wonderful day today.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a lovely idea for your image!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

what a really really REALLY neat piece Elizabeth !!!!

happy weekend to you ☺☺♥♥

happee get inta trubullz week oh end bleu N squiggles ♥♥☺☺

Mae Travels said...

Some years ago, my husband’s niece was in a traveling production,, originally on Broadway, of SInging in the Rain. So I always associate it with her. She was a wonderful dancer, but she died young after a long struggle with cancer. So it’s a pleasure to think about this musical!
best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

Thanks for sending the link along. I remember this post. I guess I missed the rainy day set when I looked at it. I distinctly remember the frog set she showed. I've looked at those at Hobby Lobby but never saw them marked down enough to buy them. The rainy day ones are cute, but never noticed those at my Hobby Lobby. I will have to keep my eyes open if I ever see them. Have a great start to the weekend!

Debra said...

This is sweet! I love that movie and the song. I love to recycle too, and using 'junk' in art is always a good idea. And fun.

kathyinozarks said...

I really love your page Elizabeth, and this move was on the tv today too.
Looking forward to your recycling projects

WendyK said...

Lovely page Elizabeth, even though I can't sing and am fed up with the rain. Hugs Wendy.

Sharon Madson said...

I love this Elizabeth! I am so glad you could use the images I sent you! You are so creative, and I am singing now, and can see Gene dancing! Fabulous creation!

Neet said...

A lovely page and what delightful images you have used. I can just imagine those little tots walking along and singing in the rain. Now I have the lyrics of the song, limited I might add, running around in my head.
Love it
Hugs, Neet xxx

Sharon Fritchman said...

Hi Elizabeth!! 1st of all, Happy bEARTHday!!! I love that you made your project with recycled materials! And Your "Singing in the Rain" page is absolutely adorable. I love the sheet music background, the images, including the umbrellas, and how you did your lyrics and stars of the movie, too. And it's one of my all time favorite movies, I must say! Thank you!!! Hugs, Sharon