Monday, April 4, 2022

Rolling on the river

 

I'm joining Alison, aka Craftytrog, our host this month at Art Journal Journey, once again with a song for her Play it again, Sam theme.

I considered copying the song lyrics to "Rollin on the River," by Ike and Tina Turner, 

but I already had 

the lyrics and score to

Steamboat.

I really know nothing about this song, other than what is listed on the copyright.  The sheet music looks like it is as old as the copyright by Davis.

For Day 4 of 22, everything here is recycled, repurposed, or reused with the exception of the variegated thread I used to sew the images and rick rack.  The sheet music was from a book of Joe Davis songs, the images were from an American river cruise line.  The rick rack was removed from a blouse that was turned into rags.

Thanks ever so much for joining Bleubeard and me today.  Thanks, too, for your kindness and support you show for my recycling projects.  I hope you will also join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey with your own Play it again, Sam journal art.  


14 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Those boats must be fascinating.
Oh, I can bite my butt for not trying again to play the piano! I had the time on my hands, literally.

Elephant's Child said...

I love your work - and your recycling focus.

Mae Travels said...

The Admiral was a favorite Mississippi River Boat for short cruises when I was a kid growing up in St. Louis. It would steam downriver for a couple of hours beginning at 9 or 10 AM and then return .. no cabins, just entertainment like a ballroom with an orchestra for dancing and a “Penny Arcade.” We just loved it! I wonder if that music was ever recorded. I listened to your selection of “Summer in the City” on Apple Music.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

This is a fascinating piece today Elizabeth. I wonder what the actual music on the sheet of music sounds like, compared to Rollin' on the River. It's perfect for Alison's challenge, and glad you posted this page. Thanks for some more recycling inspiration too. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun page. Great song. Brought back memories of a riverboat brunch cruise on the Mississippi in MN and a riverboat lunch cruise on the Ohio in Louisville, KY. A tugboat ferried pizza to the riverboat and the crews did a transfer. 🤣

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabuous page, great song! Have a lovely day. Can you please link me this evening? Hugs, Valerie

craftytrog said...

A wonderful page for my theme again Elizabeth, 'Rollin on the river' is a great song, I don't know 'Steamboat' though.
You're doing well with your recycling too.
Best wishes,
Alison

da tabbies o trout towne said...

anytime I see the word steamboat, I'm reminded of Mickey Mouse; steamboat Willie !!! ☺☺♥♥

Jenn Jilks said...

I enjoy seeing the old style manuscript!

Meggymay said...

Another great page I love how you use the print music for the background and those boats look so good they must be quite an age as well.
Yvonne xx

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful musical collage ~ Xo

Wishing you love and laughter in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A ShutterBug Explores)

Divers and Sundry said...

Riverboats are a treasured feature of downtown life here :)

I like your use of rick rack.

Neet said...

One thing I always wanted to do was take a ride on a riverboat. This is a fab page Elizabeth and I now have a great song rollin' in myk head.
Hugs, Neet xxx

NatureFootstep said...

I remember this song. Just listen to Tina Turner singin it :)
It is great. :)