Friday, April 15, 2022

Angel of the Morning

 

I'm once again joining Alison, aka Craftytrog, our host this month at Art Journal Journey, with a song for her Play it again, Sam theme.

This is a very poignant and personal song to me.

The name of the song is Angel of the Morning.

The words to the song are positioned behind a napkin to which I added Pellon (sometimes called Wonder Under).

Although Merrilee Rush apparently recorded this in 1968, 
 
I remember the first time I heard the song and the lyrics.  It was November 3, 1987 and a school friend played the song as she tried to justify sleeping with (and eventually getting pregnant by) our married science teacher.  Below are the words to the song.

There'll be no strings to bind your hands
Not if my love can't bind your heart
And there's no need to take a stand
For it was I who chose to start
I see no reason to take me home
I'm old enough to face the dawn

Maybe the sun's light will be dim
And it won't matter anyhow
If morning's echo says we've sinned
Well, it was what I wanted now
And if we're victims of the night
I won't be blinded by the light

Just call me angel of the morning (angel)
Just touch my cheek before you leave me, baby
Just call me angel of the morning (angel)
Then slowly turn away
I won't beg you to stay with me
Through the tears of the day, of the years
Baby, baby

For Day 15 (tax day) of 22, I used part of a napkin I had previously backed with Pellon during a Second Thursday Tutorial.  The words were computer generated onto a used file folder.   The sheet music was some I retrieved from my neighbor's dumpster.  I wrote the song title and artist using a purple felt pen.

Thanks ever so much for joining Bleubeard and me today.  Bleubeard and I are so happy with the lovely comments you have left regarding my recycling projects.  I hope you will also join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey with your own Play it again, Sam journal art.  

 

16 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Great recycling.
While I am an early riser I am NOT an angel in the morning...

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous peace, and I remember that lovley song. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

That's a great piece. And not so good of a story to go along with the song. But I do remember the song; it is a beauty. As it your page. I like how you mounted it on the musical page too. Happy FRiday! hugs-Erika

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful and impressive post love this. Have a lovely Easter xx

Christine said...

Lovely tribute to a favourite song.

Jeanie said...

This is lovely, Elizabeth. I've always liked that song -- this is a nice interpretation.

Have a wonderful EAster weekend.

craftytrog said...

A wonderful page! It's a beautiful song Elizabeth, and your story behind hearing it for the first time is very poignant.
Hope you have a lovely Easter weekend.
Alison

Lisca said...

A beautiful song. I remember it very well. Your background story certainly is a poignant one.
You made a lovely piece.
Have a wonderful Easter weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, any form of recycling is good in my eyes. I love the song too and that was an interesting story to include with it. I wonder if the teacher got away with that as in the UK he would have lost his job if found out. You take care and have a lovely Easter and love to Bleubeard too. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

Lowcarb team member said...

I've always liked this song, and I do like your art page.

Happy Easter Wishes.

All the best Jan

Neet said...

A lovely page for a lovely song. I do like your angel cherub and I love how you have chosen the background for it.
Hugs, Neet xxx

Meggymay said...

I loved that song, thanks for reminding me, its a fabulous page. The teacher in the UK would have been out of a job, I feel quite sorry for the girl.
Yvonne xx

Debra said...

The song is going through my head as I type! I loved this piece.

DVArtist said...

Love the art, and the song. Have a good day today.

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful page! The little angel is super sweet 😀. Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

Divers and Sundry said...

I was never much of a fan of that song, but you have such an interesting story about it. Wow!