Thursday, April 14, 2022

Second Thursday Tutorial: Shimmering acrylics

 

 Many, if not most of you have seen my tutorial on handmade shimmering mists.  I got to thinking that I could apply the same concept to dying acrylic paint.  If you have done any painting at all, and used those craft acrylics, you probably have some that are nearly dried beyond use.  

Since this month is all about recycling and reuse, let's revive some craft acrylics and give them new life.

Here's what you need to get started:

Dried or nearly dried craft acrylics
Distilled water *(see note below)
A good PVA full strength glue **(I used Elmer's)
 
*  You must use distilled water.  Tap or even filtered water will soon mold. 
**Be sure your PVA glue is not labeled "school" glue.

You will be able to tell that your glue is dying by inspecting the paint in the container and by checking the cap.  Squeezing the jar will show that your paint is nearly or mostly dried and won't perform for you.

Unlike with my handmade shimmering mists, you do not want to fill the jar with water, but simply give it enough water to try to revitalize it.
 
Place the cap on the paint and shake like crazy.  I shook about 10 - 15 seconds.  Then squeeze the bottle.  By now, you have hopefully revived the old paint.
  
Now that your paint has been revived, grab a Luminart or other brand of mica powder in your choice of color.  Be sure it is the type that DOES NOT have a binder.  That's what the glue is for.  I decided to use the same color mica powder as my acrylic paint.  You may want to experiment and make different colors instead.

I hope you hit the hole better than I did.  I scattered mica powder all over my table, the lid, and the top of my paint bottle.  I used two spoons full, but I lost a bit, too.

Now it's time to add the binder.

Just as I did with my mists, I squeezed and counted to five.

I checked the glue and mica powder before I once again shook everything.

Now it was time to test the acrylic paint.  I did so on one of these gifted Rolodex cards no one seems to want.  After all, this is still a recycling post.

One squeeze was all I needed.

I used my old scruffy brush to paint the Rolodex card.  I didn't think the shimmer would show, 

so I took about two dozen photos,

not realizing the shimmer was abundantly clear.  Even the camera could see it.  Now I'm ready to find some other old dying paints and breath shimmering life into them, too.

Thanks for joining me today.  I took old nearly dried acrylic paint I revitalized using mica powders I already owned, glue, and distilled water.  It may not seem like I recycled much, but I am happy with what I was able to accomplish.  Now I can make more shimmer acrylics that remind me of metallics.  As soon as this post goes live, you will be able to access it forever on my Tutorials page.

 

14 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

LOL, "shake like crazy" I would read minutes, not seconds. German at heart.
Very cool. If I ever have dried out paint I´ll remember to check here!

Valerie-Jael said...

I hope you dances around a bit while shaking the paint. It really does have a nice shimmer, great idea. Have a lovley day, hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

I always learn from your posts. Thank you. And yes, that shimmer is totally clear.

CJ Kennedy said...

What a great idea!

Jenn Jilks said...

Isn't that clever?!
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

My name is Erika. said...

I wonder if you could you do this with not so dry acrylics. Skip the water and shake stage. OF course you would have to sacrifice a bottle or partial bottle of good paint, but to make it sparkly, it might be worth it. Thanks for Elizabeth. Hope your week is going well. hugs-Erika

Christine said...

I have lost a few jars of dried up acrylic paint in the past good to know you can just add some distilled water thanks!

DVArtist said...

I so enjoyed this tutorial. Thank you so much for sharing it. Have a lovely day.

jinxxxygirl said...

Thats great Elizabeth. Wish i owned some of those mica powders!! I definitely have dying bottles of paint.. Hugs! deb

Jeanie said...

This is interesting, Elizabeth. You are so inventive. I confess I never would have thought of this and it works so well. Now, I wonder if I even still have any old acrylics!

Sandra Cox said...

I would never have thought about the distilled water. As always, good tutorial.
Hugs,

Debra said...

Wow thank you for this post. What a great tutorial.

Let's Art Journal said...

Loving the shimmer and shine you achieved! Thanks for sharing 😀. Hugs Jo x

Divers and Sundry said...

Pretty!