Sunday, February 27, 2022

Beyond Grateful

 

I'm sure it's no secret by now that Bleubeard and I are hosting Art Journal Journey this month with our theme What's your style?  

As you can see, I have named this Beyond Grateful.

Besides being grateful for my readers, followers, fellow artists, and lurkers,

I'm also grateful for a dear fellow artist,

to whom I'm paying homage today.

I've never made a secret of how much I love the art by fellow artist Alison, aka Craftytrog.

This is my pale imitation of her incredible art.  From her teabag art to her drips and splatters to her many layers to her lovely fussy cut leaves, this is my tribute to Alison's incredible journal art.

I was quite unhappy with the way the image scanned, so I adjusted the gamma on the scanner.  I believe this is closer to the colors.

Unfortunately, you can't see the gold in the leaves from this scan.

However the coffee stained pages and the tea bags are far more realistic.  I think the lovely variegated thread is rather washed out, though.
 
I started this page by sewing four coffee stained pages to 110 lb cardstock using variegated thread.  I then sewed the coffee dyed strip of perforated printer paper waste, corrugated cardboard, and a piece of detailed coffee paper to the page.  Next, I glued the gifted tea bags (thanks Barbara) to the page, after which I added the rubber stamped sentiment.  I then fussy cut the four "flowers" from a wallpaper sample I picked up free a few years ago at a big box home improvement store (they no longer offer samples).
 
In addition to Art Journal Journey, Bleubeard and I would like to enter this at Creative Artiste Mixed Media, where their February challenge is #79 and is always "Anything Mixed Media Goes."  Requirements are to use multiple media. I am getting in just under the wire.  I used coffee dyed papers, perforated printer paper waste, tea bags, wallpaper sample, a rubber stamp, dye ink, variegated sewing thread, and corrugated cardboard.

Additionally, we are joining Try it on Tuesday, where their theme this fortnight is Add Some Texture.  This page is all about texture.

Bleubeard and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own interpretation of What's your style?, mine being mixed media and texture today.  We are also delighted to be joining Creative Artiste Mixed Media and Try it on Tuesday.  We just want to say how grateful we are to have you join us on this month long journey.

 

20 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Oh! I have to say I absolutely love the scan-colors!
Maybe because they remind me of Outback Australia, though...
It´s a wonderful page, I love all the styles.
The first would find a place ob our wall!
If you don´t mind... may I? I would add your name, certainly. If yes, do you have it in higher resolution?
A no is OK, of course!

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful piece Elizabeth, Alisons art is really incredible, she makes such wonderful journal pages! I have uploaded to the cat and AJJ! Hugs, Valerie

Andree said...

A wonderful rustic looking journal page Elizabeth and a fantastic way to pay homage to your talented artistic friend. It amused me to see that the gorgeous coffee dyed papers are proudly displaying tea bags. Lovely touches of pretty colours and varied textures creating so many fabulous points of interest.
Thank you for joining in with our February challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

Barbara said...

Wow! I really like this one and no because you used my tea bags (although thos round ones are unique). It has mostly elements of nature for me no matter the colors!

My name is Erika. said...

That is a fabulous page dear Elizabeth. It is a great tribute to Alison, but it also looks like you, which makes it even better. And I like the true color better than the orangy one. I think you succeeded at making some abstract art also, so you hit the jackpot. Thanks for sharing this with us at Try It on Tuesday also. It's got some super texture. This is a great piece for the end of February. One more to go. Wow this month flew. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

This is a fabulous page Elizabeth-I love it very inspiring for mixed media pages

craftytrog said...

Oh Elizabeth!!! I'm so touched and extremely grateful for your lovely words! I really love this page, it's amazing! The way you stitched the elements is so inspiring. I keep forgetting to add stitching to my art, one day I will remember, hahaha.
Thank you again dear friend,
Alison
P.S. I love the teabags of course!

EricaSta said...

It's fantastisc. Thank you for hosting. Making art is a good thing in this strong time.

Take care of you.

Meggymay said...

Awesome textures on this fabulous page and I loved seeing how you added the stitching. I am so happy you have shared your inspiration to the new theme at TioT's as well as your own one at AJJ.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

Wonderful! I love the composition and the texture.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love all of the elements you have used here Elizabeth - a really fabulous AJJ page, Hugs, Chrisx

Matilde said...

Beautiful page and lovely words about being grateful which you've written :) Have a nice week!

Rita said...

You are making me yearn to get my studio cleared up so I can play with mixed media and my Wanderlust classes. I decided to ask Leah to help me since I still can't stand and walk for very long at a time. We're planning to hopefully tackle it this Thursday. Such fun, isn't it! Abd Beyond Grateful is something I am feeling lately. ;)

CJ Kennedy said...

Beautiful page and either way I like the colors

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What a fabulous page this is Elizabeth and Bleubeard, I can feel the love of every element as you stitched and added them to the page, fabulous mix of media and so very tactile, like you Alison inspires me each time she uses those teabags. Fabulous to see you join us @ Creative Artiste again, many thanks for joining and sharing in our February challenge.
Hugs Tracey xx

Mae Travels said...

IT’s been an interesting month with all the varied ideas about style — what it is, how to express it, and how to appreciate it in others’ work.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Debra said...

Oh my-what can I say? This is just so beautiful! I love it!!!!!

Birgit said...

This is very cool. I love the colours being so natural. The teabags and the rugged look but with elegance...excellent.

DVArtist said...

Woooowww this is amazing. You are so talented.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I've popped back to say Thank you for joining us at Try It On Tuesday, Chrisx