Monday, January 31, 2022

Happy Chinese New Year, 2022

 

 It's time to celebrate the biggest party of the year that lasts a total of 15 days.  "Gong hei fat choy" translates to

Happy Chinese New Year.  Whether you celebrate it or not, tomorrow (February 1, 2022) is a new year and this year it is the Year of the Tiger.  In China, it is also known as the Spring Festival or Lunar New Year.  The Spring Festival is technically 15 days. But celebrations start on New Year’s Eve,which is tonight (making it 16 days).

I added the full number of days after I realized I had forgotten the Day of the Lantern Festival, with preparations for the Lantern Festival beginning on the 12th (this year) and ending with the Lantern Festival which falls on the 15th of February in 2022.

This is the year of the Male Earth Tiger. 

I am sorry this is a bit garish, but its hard to photograph this gold joss paper.

The other joss paper (bottom left on page) signifies the 60 different parts that make up the Chinese zodiac.  There are 12 animals and five elements (wood, fire, earth, water, metal).   Yes, 12 X 5 = 60.  Isn't math fun?

The right side of the spread shows the tiger.

Because the tiger has a face, I'm also sharing this with Erika, aka BioArtGal, our host this month at Art Journal Journey. Today is the final day to share something relating to her theme Let's Face It.  Obviously, this is my final spread using this theme.

Here are a few detail shots.
 
 


For this spread, I started by printing the tigers and the words on red copier/printer paper.  I added one gold joss paper and three circular joss papers that show the 60 ways the animals and elements can line up.  I also placed one of the tigers over the joss paper on the right.  Next, I added the three coins and the row of gifted (thanks Cindy) "German scrap" lanterns.  Finally, I added the dates of the festival using my gifted (thanks Valerie) date stamp.

Thank you beyond belief for visiting today.  Bleubeard and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Let's Face It. We also want to wish you Gong hei fat choy!


16 thoughtful remarks:

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

*Gong Hei Fat Choy* Elizabeth, what a super page red & gold always looks so rich and opulent together doesn't it. The golds illuminate the page and those coins a great addition. The year of the tiger is my youngest birth sign, it's meaning fits her (almost) perfectly I can't believe she's 24 this year.
Happy crafting Hugs Tracey x

Elephant's Child said...

A very, very Happy New Year to all those who celebrate. And the tiger is right up there in my list of favourite animals.

Azka Kamil said...

like your post

CJ Kennedy said...

A bright and happy post. The new Lunar New Year stamp is out at the USPS, but I don't think it's as pretty as the Year of the Rat.

Mia said...

Super page, Elizabeth. I love tigers and all cats!!!

My name is Erika. said...

Happy Lunar New Year Elizabeth. This is a fun page and a great way to end the month and my challenge at AJJ. I hadn't realized it was here already. I do love those gold metallic paper lanterns. And all your red images too. Very Gong hei fat choy! Have a good day and thanks so much for linking up to AJJ so much this past month. It is very appreciated. Have a super end of January, and see you tonight for T. Hugs-Erika

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful journal pages, happy New year to all who celebrate. Could you please link me this evening? Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Mae Travels said...

I hope you have some delicious good-luck foods for the Asian Lunar New Year. Long noodles for long life!!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Debra said...

Very pretty journal pages!

Jeanie said...

A perfect page for the new year. And now I know which creature it is!

craftytrog said...

A fabulous spread Elizabeth!
Happy new week.
Alison

Divers and Sundry said...

Great celebratory page! I miss Chinese restaurants and wish I knew how to cook those dishes at home or at least which frozen options were best.

Bill said...

A Happy New Year to all those who celebrate. I love tigers, they are one of my favorite animals. Enjoy your day.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

bleu & squiggles; itz de yeer oh R big cat cuzin !!! itz gotta bee a grate one rite !!! ??? ☺☺♥♥

Matilde said...

It looks very ispiring :) I'm not sure but I think I've never heard about this festival. It could be quite interesting :)

Birgit said...

What a wonderful tribute page to the year of the tiger. I didn’t know about the 60 different ways although I know I am a wood dragon.