Sunday, January 30, 2022

Monday Murals: Children In the Art Park

 

 It's time once again to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals.  Even though it's still Sunday in my world, please be aware that Sami's mural link goes live at 10:01 a.m. my time today.   

While downtown photographing a mural, I got distracted and saw this set of life-like bronzes the city commissioned a few years ago.  There are dozens of these around the downtown area, but this is the first time I've noticed this one.  If there's a cat, you know I'm going to get excited.

I had planned to delete this photo, because I don't like to include live humans in my photos.  However, I decided to keep it because the man (complete with mask) provided the scale to show the size of these bronze sculptures.

I went to the Art Park because the park was supposed to be open on Sunday, but it wasn't.  Although the chain link fence is more prominent than the mural,

I love how the children are each doing something artistic.  We don't see enough of that in the schools these days, so seeing it in an art park made me feel good.  There was no indication, at least from where I stood, who the artist was.  The Art Park is located at Main and Douglas in Wichita, Kansas (USA).  The bronze sculptures are on the same corner across the street.

If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.  Thanks for stopping by to visit Bleubeard and me today.  
 
This will be my final Monday Murals until the first week in March.  I'm not taking much of a break, so feel free to visit my blog, but I promise to be back on March 6 with another mural.
 

21 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

The cat sculpture melts my heart - and hooray for art parks. We need a lot more of them.

Iris Flavia said...

We have (had?) a stray here that came to all of us, plopped down on the back to get a propper belly-rub. So cute.
Well, after he/she looked like that at you as the statue cat!

Great mural. Every"thing" matters!

Mae Travels said...

Every week you somehow find a new local mural, as well as other street art. I find this amazing. Your town really seems to be very committed to public art works, plus you have private and educational participants in the endeavor.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

CJ Kennedy said...

The bronze cat is wonderful. Ok, the girl, too. Happy mural at the art park, but alarming to see barbed wire on the chain link fence.

DVArtist said...

There are several life size bronzes in my town and then South up the river to the ocean. Ours came from China. Like there are no bronzes artist in Oregon. (sarcastic) Anyway the bronze and the mural are really lovely. Have a nice day.

Sami said...

Being a cat lover I also love the beautiful statue of the cat and girl.
Cute mural at the Art Park. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Elizabeth

Divers and Sundry said...

It's good to see cities investing in public art. The sculpture is cool! I imagine many a selfie is taken there :)

Jeanie said...

I like the mural but the sculpture is especially lovely.

Tom said...

..."Matter is the Minimum," I'm not sure what that means. In city neighborhood gardens I see a bunch of planters made of old tires. See you in March.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Both the statues and the art park are just what I need to add cheer to a cold, gloomy morning. I can't think what is better than to have children involved in art.

Jackie McGuinness said...

I love sculpture like this! You could easily crop him out using the free editing feature in Windows Explorer, if you wanted. But he does give a good perspective on size.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous art and statues, have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Caty said...

The sculptures are amazing Elizabeth ! I like to see the little bronze cat too. Great art outside ! Thanks so much for sharing these so beautiful photographs today.
I wish you a very nice week, and send big hugs
Caty

My name is Erika. said...

I like this statue, and the kids in the mural too. It's a cheery mural and feels like a classroom. A good classroom where the kids are involved, but of course, it also looks pre-covid. It would be nice if classrooms could get back to what they were. Who knows when that will happen. Have a great start to the new week. Hugs-Erika

kwarkito said...

I really like the statue and the mural is also interesting

kathyinozarks said...

I really loved the sculptures very much another great mural find too

Bertiebo said...

I love the cat and the girl!!!!!

craftytrog said...

Beautiful street art! I love those sculptures.

Alice said...

I can see why the sculpture caught your eye. And keeping the man in the photo was a good thought, hopefully, when the mask is thing of the past, we will breathe a sigh of relief. The mural is perfect andI agree with your thoughts about it.

Cath said...

oh I really love the cat and the girl....a very sweet duo

Birgit said...

I think we see the mural done and I like the way it looks because the fence does not interfere with it. They did a Nice job with this area and I like the bright lay coloured wheels. I also love that sculpture of the girl with her cat. They are quite large.