Monday, December 13, 2021

Art Journal Advent Calendar (Days 1-6)

 

Although I am getting a late start, I am joining Michelle of RaspberryBlueSky and Tamara of MaraKreativStudio with their Art Journal Advent Calendar.  They are on Instagram, but I am not.  I requested the prompts be sent to me via e-mail and was determined to catch up.

The first thing we apparently were asked to do was create a book for our advent pages.  I was already eight days behind, and why reinvent the wheel. 

I had received this incredible hand made book filled with blank pages several years ago, and it was just waiting for the perfect time to be used.

It was made specifically for me by my dear friend Valerie.

I made certain there were enough pages to cover the days and found I had more than enough.

I thought I would share the back of this beautiful book, too.

My photos don't begin to do it justice.

Originally, I planned to share all 12 of these today, but I'm having trouble with either my internet connection or blogger again.  So I don't have to fight the slow speed at which these photos load and left adjust, I decided to just show the first six today and the next six on Wednesday.
 
Day 1's prompt was Here and Now.  I am working on my Christmas cards.

These are left over from my Christmas tip-ins.  The tree was dry embossed on the wrong side and the small trees were only left over partials.  
 
I had been gifted with a roll of cat washi tape that I have never used, and a strip of another gifted cat washi tape.  I decided it was time to use the cat tapes, so there will be at least a tiny bit in every spread I create.  Also, you can see the date has "for" written on it.  Each of the pages you will see today were created on the 8th.

Day 2's art journal prompt was Movement.  I stamped butterflies, then colored them using watercolors.

Day 3's prompt was Glitter and Glamour. My Christmas tree ornament glitters and makes the tree glamorous.  I seem to have forgotten the word "for" in front of my date stamp.

Day 4's prompt was Femininity.  There is nothing more feminine than a bride on her wedding day.  This was for December 4.

Day 5's prompt was Rituals.  I always make time to cuddle with both Bleubeard and Squiggles at least once every day.  And even though I may not drink my coffee from this fancy carousel horse cup and saucer, I still drink it 24/7.

Day 6's prompt was Moments of Happiness.  I saw a cardinal in my back yard (on Sunday) and sewed this image to the background.  Those who know me, realize I would be sewing something at least once during this challenge!  Again, this is for December 6.
 
Thank you for joining me today as I shared my first six Art Journal Advent pages and the wonderful book Valerie gifted me several years ago.  I knew I was saving it for something special.
 

12 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Love this!
Oh. I have but a book to read. One story per day.
But it´s in "Platt", a dialect from the North.

Seeing you making this... I should be able to at least master that!

Looking forward to more from your side :-)
Enjoy the jolly times and I hope your back says, hey, I´m good again, too!

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you are having fun with so many challenges! Have a great day, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Oh my. That is truly beautiful and I look forward to seeing more - and hope that blogger relents.

craftytrog said...

How fortunate you had Valerie's beautiful book to create in! Your pages are wonderful Elizabeth, great to see your interpretations of the themes.
Happy new week!
Alison

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, what an awesome journal art project. The handmade gift from Valerie is so lovely-perfect for this too. I am loving your pages so far hugs

Barbara said...

Festive and lovely pages! I especially like Dat 5. 😻

Mae Travels said...

Advent calendars seem to fit the challenge that you have been doing and I've been enjoying == doors opening and closing. The door-opening part of the advent tradition seems to have started around 100 years ago, although in Germany and other places people before that did mark off the days from the start of December until Christmas. Your interpretation is very interesting.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Annie said...

This looks like a fun December project. How perfect using this beautifully crafted and gifted book is for this project. It’s fun reading how your daily happenings fit in with the daily prompts.

My name is Erika. said...

These are fantastic, and they make me wish I had done the same. Smart to send and email and ask for the prompts. They is a fun way to countdown to the holiday and make art too. I used to almost always do a holiday book, but this year I just didn't seem to get around to it. Nor did I even think of it. I hope I remember to next year after seeing yours. Have a super start to your week my friend. Hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

What a wonderful idea. I love how you incorporated and interpreted the prompts. And Valerie's book is beautiful and a wonderful home for such a project. I can't wait to see more when you catch up!

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely pages, all look so festive.

All the best Jan

Debra said...

The book is truly beautiful, as are your pages!