Monday, October 18, 2021

Signs of October

 

It's time to once again join Tracey from Hotchpotchcreations, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  By now you probably know her theme is My Favorite Color is October.   

I'm looking for signs of October, which is also the title of this post.

It's easy to tell the leaves have now gone through all their stages of colors

and are now turning a crunchy brown.  October is also a time to heighten your senses.
 
Inhale the morning mist.  Smell the late night bonfires.

Feel leaves crunch beneath your feet.  See the fungi growing near the trees. 

October should reach out and grab every one of your senses!
 


The leaf drawing was originally intended to go with the cute little squirrel and tree I colored and showed in this post.  However, when I tried to adhere all three on a page, I couldn't make them fit.  That's when I came up with this journal page.  Although it started with the leaf I colored with watercolor pencils, then sewed to a barn wood background, it actually started with a sheet of shaving cream paper for the background.  I then added the gifted (thanks Erika) mushrooms/fungi and the sentiment I colored using watercolors.

One thing I want to mention is why the leaf that was sewed to the barn wood buckled.  If you are sewing paper to paper, be sure your top paper isn't thinner than your bottom paper.  That disparity is what caused the leaf paper to buckle, since the barn wood background which was made of postcard weight paper, didn't allow for "stretch" or "give," like the printer weight paper of the leaf did.
 
Thank you ever so much for visiting today.  Bleubeard, and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own journal entry for My favorite color is October.      
 

18 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Lovely colours and images - even if they are alien to our October.

Iris Flavia said...

Oh? I just sewed around, thank you for the tip! That´s why Ingo´s cheap TP crumbled, huh?

Love how the words "fade".
Here still all green, it´s crazy.

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful journal page, Elizabeth! Love the soft colours, sewing, and the beautiful additions. Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

pearshapedcrafting said...

An absolutely beautiful page Elizabeth. Those colours are so suited to the style of this page - every element shines through just as it should in Autumn. Perfect for Tracy's theme at AJJ. Hugs, Chrisxx

Sami said...

Beautiful Autumn page Elizabeth, love the mushrooms and the pretty leaf.

Barbara said...

Our leaves never go through numerous colors. Being in an oak and pine area, they go from green to brown, then fall. I miss the reds, oranges and yellows of other locations. But we’ve lived here 42 years, so we are accustomed to it. Fall is still my favorite season! Very pretty page, it shows October is your favorite color!

My name is Erika. said...

This is a great page. That leaf is very pretty. It has lots of little details to it. Nicely done Elizabeth. The mushroom stickers look good also! I like the layering on the wood style paper too. Happy Monday. See you tonight for T, but enjoy your day until then. Hugs-Erika

Annie said...

This is a nice fading Fall color page. So calming and has the feel of the more chilly days and nights. I love the zentangling bringing the leaf to life.

kathyinozarks said...

Beautiful

CJ Kennedy said...

I like the leaf and that wood grain paper. It will be a couple of weeks before leaves turn brown here. We're just about at peak color.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

this piece is AWESOME Elizabeth....very nicely done !! ☺☺♥♥

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

It was a happy accident of sorts that the leaf could not fit onto that previous page as it sits so pretty on this shaving foam background with it's display of Fungi. Indeed the air is so fresh during October I know my dog can not wait to get out and snuffle amongst it all but i'm amazed that we still have many rich green leaves yet to fall even with those misty mornings.
Beautiful October themed page, thanks again for sharing. Hugs Tracey xx
P.S I hope Squiggles in on the road to recovery x

Neet said...

Elizabeth, that leaf is amazing. I wish I could draw a leaf like that, you did a superb job on that one. I love how you drew all the little lines on it and then coloured it so beautifully. what a fab start to a lovely page.
Hugs, Neet xxx
ps was hoping for good news re Squiggles. Hope he is getting better x

sheila 77 said...

This is a lovely Autumn coloured page, Elizabeth. You've really captured the soft, calm colours of Autumn. I like the way you use stitching in your pages.
Love from Sheila

Divers and Sundry said...

We don't get the color some places do, but we do get some and I'm loving your October page. Lovely October :)

nwilliams6 said...

I totally see why you saved that leaf for another page - it is so pretty and detailed. Super background and sewing too. Love it. Hugz

Meggymay said...

The leaf drawing looks amazing on this great page, I likes the muted colour autumn tones you used and the other images you added.
Have a good rest of the week.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

This is lovely, Elizabeth. I especially love the leaf drawing. Sometmes, as in this case, less is more. I can't imagine another element on this page without distracting from the ones already there. It's very nice indeed!