Thursday, October 7, 2021

Coloring Autumn

 

It's time to join Tracey from Hotchpotchcreations.  Tracey has chosen My Favorite Color is October (or My Favourite Colour is October) as her theme for Art Journal Journey.

Today I'm coloring autumn, which is also the name of this post.

I realize others are going to find this silly, but I spent four days, off and on, coloring this squirrel gathering nuts. 

It might be easy for some to whip out a coloring like this, but it was very difficult for me. 

I grip the pencils and crayons too tightly and my hand goes numb.

I decided to take an easier route with the tree.

Instead of trying to color every leaf, I used watercolors to wash over the leaves and the tree trunk.  I used a water soluble crayon for the background and sky.

I found ransom letters in various magazines that were in autumn colors.
 
After I colored these pages, I sewed them to a background of wooden boards using variegated thread.
 
I spent so much time coloring these two images, I didn't want the background to interfere.  I've had a package of 140 lb cream colored cardstock I'd never opened, so I thought it was the ideal time to do so.

Thank you ever so much for visiting today.  Bleubeard, and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own take on My favorite color is October.   

And even though I'm not playing this month, I encourage you to visit Rain and her weekly Thursday Art Date or TAD with your own take on Alien Worlds.

21 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

I love your squirrel and your very autumnal tree - and would struggle to colour either of them.

Iris Flavia said...

Ohhhh, Peanut is thrilled!!!!
Or on drugs, LOL - gotta check the Walnuts!
Silly? Yes, and soooo funny and cute.

Shoot with numb hands - my toes have the same.

You´re like my Dad was in the 70´s :-) He went through magazines to get letters. Sweet memories, thank you.

And see next T-Day to what you inspired me :-)

Love both styles. The tree-page came out great as well.

Iris Flavia said...

P.S. ... I am really interested how Merkel came out "good" in America? For what? I don´t want a political discussion, just would like to know... Just some words.

Nancy Chan said...

Both are beautifully coloured. Colouring the squirrel would take a lot of time. Have a great day.

craftytrog said...

I love this page, that colourful squirrel is fabulous Elizabeth! The tree and lettering look great too.
Alison

nwilliams6 said...

These types of pages are hard for me to color too as I have very little patience. Great October colors and sewing, Elizabeth. The lettering is perfect!! Hugz

My name is Erika. said...

These are fun Elizabeth. I like the idea of coloring too. I find coloring to be very relaxing, yet I rarely pick up a coloring book I have. I guess I'd rather stamp and color. Smile. Love the stitching and the frames too. Thanks for sharing at AJJ. This is perfect for Tracey's theme. Hope the week is going well. Hugs-Erika

pearshapedcrafting said...

Your colourings certainly do make for a great page. I'm glad you persevered to complete them, I know it must have been difficult for you. Hugs, Chrisx

Mia said...

Both pages are perfect, Elizabeth. I understand it was difficult for you to color the squirrel. You should take care of your fingers, my friend. Watercoloring the tree is a great idea and I love the result. Kisses!

CJ Kennedy said...

The Autumn colored squirrel is so fun. To help not to grip a writing tool too tightly, I was taught to hold something in my non-dominant hand. The idea is your brain will equal out the pressure between your two hands. That may help to prevent cramped muscles.

Valerie-Jael said...

Your coloured pieces are fabulous, you had a lot of patience with colouring the squirrel. At the moment I have no patience. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Divers and Sundry said...

I like the combination of these two different techniques.

DVArtist said...

Yes, it's changing into fall for sure. Lovely art showing this.

Olde Dame Holly said...

Of course I love the sewn borders! The squirrel is so beautifully colored! I love both, though!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth; I don't think it's silly; I've started colorings and set them aside and don't get back to them for 4 MONTHS !!!! both these pieces turned out very well !! :) ☺☺♥♥

Sandra Cox said...

I love the squirrel:)

aussie aNNie said...

Brilliant post and love everything about this one...xx

Rita said...

Colorful, happy squirrel! :) :)

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

There's nothing silly about taking time with your colouring i've taken months sometimes years to finish pages and would still go back to them even when my head says my work is done. The line art in those colouring pages gives us a grand illustrations, I especially love the Squirrel with it's colours as lively as itself, such energetic creatures.
Wishing you a super creative weekend Hugs Tracey x

Empire of the Cat said...

I love your squirrel! Colouring is very meditative and soothing so I hope you enjoyed the experience and the longer it takes, the better really. Elle xx

Meggymay said...

The squirrel looks awesome, I love how you coloured this page and the one with the trees. Colouring takes time and can be quite calming, its easy to leave and return to perhaps its a way to make us slow down and appreciate the art as it evolves.
Hope all is well and as always I am on catch up.
Sray safe.
Yvonne xx