Friday, October 8, 2021

Friday Smiles 442: gardening and museum visit

 

 

It's Friday and I'm once again joining Friday Smiles which is hosted by Annie (at A Stitch in Time).   Let's visit her and the other wonderful ladies who also share their smiles each Friday.

It's early morning here and I am busy watering my gardens before the heat takes over.

My Rose of Sharon is lucky.  It can accept water from the hose.  Unfortunately today about 1 p.m., after I had taken these photos, there was an electrical outage at the main water facility.

The Rose of Sharon is still producing new flowers, as you can see.  
 
When the electricity came back on, they theorize it overloaded the system, causing the primary main water line to break.  As of the early evening news, we were losing water at a rate of 40,000 gallons an hour.  They are unsure how soon it can be fixed, but until then, all water must be boiled for one minute in order to be used, except bath water.  When washing dishes and cleaning counters, we must use 1 T bleach to 1 gallon of water.  The grocery stores were all reporting they had sold out of bottled water by 5 p.m. and the break happened shortly after noon today.  Luckily, I filled the cats gallon water container late last night, so they will both have safe water for several days, at least.

When I mowed earlier in the week, I also edged my bricks and found them again!

I actually lightened the photo in Photoshop, because it was so dark under the tree.

I probably need to expose the bricks a bit more, now that I see them through my camera lens.

I also have one final rose of summer in my flower bed.

The veggie garden is winding down, but the cantaloupe are finally beginning to ripen.



I'm incredibly amazed at how different each of these look, even though the seeds all came from the same melon.

Then it was time to check on my bell peppers.


They are looking healthy, even if they are still small.

While watering my three pots of dill that were slowly making a comeback after the swallowtails had their fill,

I found this little muncher.

I know it won't turn into a swallowtail, but, even though I have no idea what it will turn into, I left it eat to its heart's content.  Please let me know if you are familiar with this caterpillar that also loves my dill.

I know people harvest HUGE amounts of veggies each week from their garden, but I am still very proud of my first peppers and more dill, too.

Here are a couple of photos from the museum I visited on Smithsonian Day.   You can see this is a circa 1975 model public water fountain.  According to the sign, they were widely used until the pandemic.

This is a letter holder/box for the museum.  Apparently you can mail letters or postcards from that box and it will be picked up at specific times during the week.  
 
I didn't have time to find funnies this week.  In fact, I'm having trouble getting this ready to publish on time.  I won't be so long winded next week, I promise.  I guess I'm making up for missing last week. 

Now let's join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the lovely ladies who join her for Friday Smiles.  Thanks again for visiting and spending a bit of time with Bleubeard and me this Friday.  We would love to have you join us, too. 


19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Elizabeth, you have been hard at work in your garden again. I think it's great that you had an veggies and fruit at all. Love the caterpillar, but I don't know for sure what it is, it could be the giant leopard moth. It has good taste if it likes dill! Hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Loving your garden and your trip to the museum.
I hope your water woes can be fixed quickly.

Iris Flavia said...

Heat taking over? 6C / 43F here.
Wow. Water. We only know how important when we don´t have it...

Not the point, but, wow, you have beautiful nails! Mine since years (since I lost my job?) break all the time...
Ohhh, the muncher, how cute! Great harvest.

I think we have but one public water fountain here. Sad, huh.
Awww. I sure´d put a letter in there - didn´t you?

Thank you, btw for answering on my question.
I answered over there cause neither of our blogs are political.
So I didn´t want to publish it here as well.

Politics... we are helpless anyways. And media are way too strong.

"Black US-Americans" are... the nice guys here and it hurts to see what´s going on in your country. Guys (and women, of course) who came here for sport, be it Football, Basketball... they respect our culture. It´s like yours, right, the culture.
I got attacked once verbally and once bodily by ... you know. Or ignored.

East- and West-Germany. Different. Both spoiled in their own way. I do know.

Wish one day we can be just people.

John Lennon comes to mind, "Imagine"... Wish we could sit down and exchange what we learned.



mamapez5 said...

Your garden is hard work but you do look after it well. I am glad you are rewarded with your own little harvest. I love picking fruit and veggies I have grown myself.
I think your caterpillar is from the Monarch butterfly family though not the most common one. be careful if you have to handle it as they eat some vegetation containing toxins which they can then pass on. But it is very lovely. I would have left it too but they can eat a lot before they pupate.
have agood weekend. Kate x

craftytrog said...

It's lovely spending time in the garden with you Elizabeth! The melons and peppers look good.
I hope that your water is back very soon.
Happy Friday,
Alison

craftytrog said...

I forgot to say sorry about the problems you had commenting on my blog. Hopefully it's resolved now

Annie said...

Well done you with the gardening...it’s looking good and so lovely to see your produce. I hope the problems with your water supply soon gets sorted for you. Have a great week.
Hugs,
Annie x

My name is Erika. said...

Your garden still looks great Elizabeth. Lucky you to still have some heat so your veggies are growing. I love the color of those peppers. And you're going to have at least 1 cantaloupe. I wonder if the others or still immature or get less sun...I know nothing about growing cantaloupe. And I like how the caterpillar looks, even though I don't know what it is. And you got dill. Mine didn't grow this year, which I guess must be the seeds since I've never had issue growing dill. Yours look wonderful. Have a wonderful FRiday and start to your weekend. Hope the water gets fixed even faster than they say. It's never fun to lose a utility. Hugs-Erika

Barbara said...

Your garden is still producing in spite of winding down! Ours is just winding down. I’ve discovered the joy of small “fried green tomatoes”! Those water fountains always made me wonder how sanitary they were. I’m guessing they are gone for good. How fun to use that mailbox. It still works!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

It's so lovely to look around your garden they are all so different. Looking at gardens used to be my favourite thing to do when I went on a train they are all so interesting. Well done with the produce to. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

kathyinozarks said...

That's a sweet little mail box-would be fun for kids to mail letters.
your garden is doing well, reading on what plants are good for butterflies-you have one growing that is perfect for them.
bummer about the water outage. living so rural always, I try to keep at least 8 gallons of drinking water around in storage-when it goes out of date I use it to water plants with.
Happy Friday-

Divers and Sundry said...

I wouldn't give up on it being a black swallowtail: http://www.raisingbutterflies.org/eastern-black-swallowtail/

Your garden looks good. What a shame about the water! Boiling water is more of a pain than most people realize until they have to do it. :(

Lisca said...

Oh dear, how awful to be without water! Hubby has 1000 liters of well water on his plot in an emergency, we could use that (and boil it for human consumption) and in the house we have several gallon containers as I like my coffee and tea made with filtered water. I hope it gets fixed soon.
What beautiful nails you have! (I am not the first person to notice, I see)
How wonderful that you are harvesting. Anything home grown always tastes so much nicer. Your peppers look great. Will your cantaloupes grow a bit more? It's looking good.
I like the border stones in your garden. I agree that they are not that visible and you might want to do something about that, as it is a beautiful feature.
As for the caterpillar, I have no idea. I only know that they eat a lot in this state. I hope you will have some dill left.
The public water fountains are still very common here in Europe. I recognise those stainless steel ones. Obviously they were turned off during the pandemic. In our village the old traditional ones (ceramic bowl with water shooting straight up permanently) have been re-installed. In a hot country like this one, water is necessary.
What sort of museum was this? Have I missed you blog about the museum?
As to the use of masks. Outside the use of masks is voluntary (here in Spain), not compulsory. We still have to wear masks indoors in a public place (shops, post office, doctor's surgery etc) In my photos not many people are wearing masks as they were either outside, or they were eating or drinking. The workmen digging up the streets were wearing a mask, but the singers in the church weren't (They were a safe distance from the congregation though) and we were okay with that.
Have a nice weekend in spite of the water problem.
Hugs,
Lisca

CJ Kennedy said...

Your garden looks good. We didn't get a big yield from the garden. Too hot, too rainy, too humid, who knows. Your tomatoes and peppers look great and the cantaloupe is awesome. I have no idea what kind of catepillar that is, but he looks kind of cute with his polka dots. Have a great weekend.

Mae Travels said...

Nice garden photos! I hope your water supply returns to safety soon.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

LA Paylor said...

a waterfountain is an antique... omg...so am I

Rita said...

Love the old mailbox.
Your gardens are still producing beautifully! :)

Sami said...

Hope the water problem has been solved. We only value water and lights when we don't have it!
It's nice that you get a small amount of vegetables from your little patch, it's always fulfilling and they taste so much better than the store bought ones.
I was given some strawberries today that were hand-picked at a strawberry farm and they smell and taste like the real thing, unlike the ones I get at the supermarket that have no taste at all! Enjoy the weekend Elizabeth

pearshapedcrafting said...

It's so good to see your garden and the fruits of your labour! We don't have many water fountains here in the UK but when we were in France there was a news item saying that some drinking fountains were going to be allowed to be used again. Hugs, Chrisx