Saturday, October 30, 2021

All Hallows Eve Eve

 

This is my final entry for Tracey from Hotchpotchcreations, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme, as I'm sure you know, is My Favorite Color is October.   

It's nearly Halloween and time to celebrate.

I've tried to include things that remind us of Halloween.

There will be bats,

witches on broomsticks,

and a full harvest moon.

Skulls come out of the graveyard at night,

then ravens and black cats join them.  A smashed pumpkin got in the way.

More pumpkins get stepped on in the graveyard,

then another black cat joins the graveyard party.

A spooky castle sits in the background,

while a huge spider hangs from the tree.

All this to wish you and your loved ones a Happy Halloween, whether you celebrate it or not.



I started by laying down mint green house paint in lieu of gesso in my Collage Two altered book.  When the paint was dry, which took overnight, I brushed blue watercolor over the top of the paint. I added the moon using a product called Stencil Gel.  It took two days to dry because I got way too much gel on the page.  While the moon was drying, I printed and fussy cut the skeletons and the house.  I also fussy cut a witch, but didn't like it, so I used a wood mounted red rubber stamp, instead.  I also used the wood mounted red rubber bat, ravens, and Happy Halloween stamps.  The pumpkins and spider were acrylic stamps.  I spent days and days looking for my foam black cat stamp.  Finally, after taking everything out of my stamp drawer, I found it, and the spread was complete.

I would like to thank Tracey for being such an inspiring host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Not only has she been a terrific host, her art has been incredible, too.  Thank you beyond belief for joining us this October with your incredible theme, Tracey!

 

21 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you. And Happy Halloween to you too.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful spread, Elizabeth, definitely my favourite! A perfect Halloween story. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous post, love love love. x

Barbara said...

You worked hard and long on this one! It has a spooky feel, the colors are just right!

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun images, but I wouldn't want to cross the skull border to go trick or treating at that house. 🎃

kathyinozarks said...

Awesome page Elizabeth I really like this one allot, but I have really loved all of your October entries very much. hugs

My name is Erika. said...

What fun Halloween images Elizabeth. I love those skulls along the bottom. And the other images are also perfect. We have the same witch stamp too. And what is really great is how the house looks so solid and sturdy (it's a great image) and then you added the fun spider and the skulls. They look great! You have outdone yourself with this Halloween page. Thanks for sharing, and hope you have a great Saturday. hugs-Erika

My name is Erika. said...

Oh yes, and I signed up for art everyday month too! THANKS so much for the reminder.

Annie said...

How fun your Halloween spread is. I’m sure bats are just waiting for it to get dark enough to make their appearance. Everything Halloween is there. It’s a fun creepy, spooky day and night.

Iris Flavia said...

Skeleton-Henry is thrilled! He says hi!!!

pearshapedcrafting said...

This page screeeams Halloween (sorry, couldn't resist) - so many fantastic elements making up your page. My spider stamp ran away ages ago - not been found yet. HHugs Chrisx

Olde Dame Holly said...

Happy Halloween! I love the sweet spider lightening up the spookiness of that castle.

Sami said...

Beautiful Halloween page Elizabeth. Enjoy the day :)

aussie aNNie said...

Re my bendi card, it has slots in it with a tab that goes into them and to post it lays flat... easy :)

Meggymay said...

A fantastic journal spread, you could imagine a house that size containing many Halloween visitors and the witch hurrying to join the party, even the cats seem to be having fun.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Oh Elizabeth there's a real story to take in today with this double page spread, love those gravestones around the Georgian Manson and the cute little spider hanging from the tree.. i'm very glad to see a black cat amongst it all taking the ghostly goings on all in it's stride.
Fabulous Halloween page, wishing you the happiest of days and thank you for all your artistic support during my Guest Host spot @ AJJ during October..
Hugs TRacey xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous Halloween pages! I love the spooky stamps that you used - perfect 😁. Wishing you a wonderful new week! Hugs Jo x

Empire of the Cat said...

Fab Halloween journal spread Elizabeth, love the moon especially, and all the elements go together to make up a spooktastic scene. Searching for days for a craft item sounds so familiar, just spent time today looking for something but had to give up and do without it. Happy Halloween! Elle/EOTC xx

Cindy McMath said...

Wow absolutely love this Halloween spread! Wonderful work.

Divers and Sundry said...

Halloween Eve has always been a thing we say around my house. I like your dangly spider.

Jeanie said...

I love the layers on this piece and and wonderful use of the negative space!