Thursday, August 12, 2021

Second Thursday Tutorial: creating handmade stencils

 

I'd like to begin by wishing my dear friend RO! a very happy birthday.  Hope it's filled with cheeseburgers and a good book, dear friend.

Back in June, I enrolled in one of those free courses many of us were offered.  This one was a Willa Workshop where we learned how to deal with some of our scraps.  However, the post that made the most impact on me was the one by Roxanne Padgett.  It was the last video and I only had a chance to watch it once.  What stuck in my mind was she used one of my favorite substrates.

These are the materials you will need to create your own stencils: used file folders and scissors.  Imagination is optional.

There are TONS of tutorials on the internet showing how to make your own stencils.  However, the majority of them involve an Xacto knife, something I am not comfortable holding, much less gripping, cutting, twisting, and turning.

I want to point out, I have two types of used manila file folders.  One has no spine, while the one with the arrow shows there is a spine.

You probably can't see the spine, but it is there in case the papers inside the file folder are too thick to lie flat otherwise.  These file folders only had single sheets or very few sheets originally stored in them.

If you choose to use the file folder with the spine, I suggest you cut and recycle the spine.  Once you get paint on your file folder, the spine will be quite obvious.

Just my luck I chose to use a file folder with a straight cut tab.  This means there is one long tab on the folder. Actually, that may work in my favor.  I cut the file folder at the tab, so had two ample working surfaces to create large stencils.

I started by removing the excess tab on the smaller piece and folded it in half width wise.

I didn't have a plan or a reason for cutting this piece.  Instead, I just cut away until I thought it looked OK.

What a horrendous disaster.

Maybe a few more cuts will help!

Personally, I can't say it helped that much!!  Not a stencil I will ever use, I fear.

That's when I decided to do a bit of planning.

After folding the file folder in half, I used a paper cup to create the stencil with circles.  I freehand cut the other piece, also after folding the file folder in half.  I got two large usable stencils and one small sad stencil from a single file folder.  Since I have many more of these file folders, I will be cutting more stencils, now I know a bit more about what I'm doing.

Ruminations:

I have a feeling I need to cut my stencils in a more organic way.
I need to make more stencils with repeating patterns.
I think I like the size of the small and middle stencils, but the large one, which depends on a repeat design, may be too large for most of my journal pages.
 
Thank you ever so much for joining me today.  I greatly appreciate it and you.  Once this post goes live, you will find, and be able to access it forever on my Tutorials page.


18 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Cheeseburgers for a Birthday, now that sounds very good! And a book sure tops it!

Interesting way to create. I feel so un-creative atm, I think it´s the weather. But I sure enjoy seeing what can be done.
Ingo yesterday drove me nuts creating a parcel for my Niece´s Birthday gift. So complicated.

Valerie-Jael said...

Happy Birthday dear Ro! Your stencils look fun, hope you try using them. Have a great day, take care, hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

A very, very happy birthday to RO -who is a very special person.
And thank you for the stencil making tutorial - I am a watcher rather than a doer - but you never know.

RO said...

What a cool way to come up with stencils! As always, I thank you for the shout out, the kind words and your gift, which I'll open later today. I sure appreciate the kind words and well wishes from everyone. Super excited about turning 60, and I'm so thrilled to call you my friend! Hope you're feeling better today too! Hugs, RO

My name is Erika. said...

That is a great idea for making a stencil.And I like yours. You've got a couple of organic ones, and I actually like the last 2 even if they are less wild cuts. I think they'll all work great! I can't wait to see how you use them. Have a great day! Hugs-Erika

one irrational bean said...

Great idea for stencil. I am all about reuse, repurpose, recycle. Cheeseburger and a good book, my idea of a great time. Hugs

Nancy said...

The file folders are a good idea for your stencils. I look forward to seeing the images you make with them!

craftytrog said...

I enjoyed Roxanne's class too Elizabeth. The stencil ideas were good, and I liked how she scraped paint to make backgrounds.
Your stencils look great too, I really love the first one. I would use it :D
Thanks for sharing,
Alison

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth; these turned out really neat; I especially like the one on the far right !!

blue and squiggles; hope ewe doodz iz havin a grate get inta trubull kinda day ;) ☺☺♥♥

da tabbies o trout towne said...

bleu.....YOW...dood...sorree for spellin yur name wrong.....we R knot in R rite mindz two day ~~~~~
:) ♥♥

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun tutorial.

Sandra Cox said...

Good on you for making stencils, Elizabeth.
You are so creative.
Wishing a pleasant day with no bamboo in it:)

Rain said...

Those last stencils looks great! I tried to make stencils using an Exacto and it all just ripped and tore...when I used my little scissors that came with my manicure set, I was able to get a little better detail! Hope all is well Elizabeth! Give Bleubeard a scratch for me! :)

Cindy McMath said...

These look really fun! I have made stencils from various papers and the like. When I get sick of them I cut them up and use them in collage because they have all sorts of neat paint effects on them!

aussie aNNie said...

Looks like a lot of fun here, thanks for sharing your skills again. x

kathyinozarks said...

I enjoy your tutorials-thanks Elizabeth, I never run into used file folders but I think it is perfect for stencils

Divers and Sundry said...

A very happy birthday to RO!

What a cool idea to make your own stencils. I'd have trouble, I think, making edges sharp enough, but it'd certainly be worth trying. I mean, nothing ventured nothing gained, right? :)

nwilliams6 said...

Good idea - I may have to try it! Hugz