Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Time to change the ribbon (and Wichita's version of National Night Out)

 

This article was in our neighborhood newsletter.  One of the people who showed up last night was our community policing officer, Jesus Soto.  He asked for the name of my blog and I told him I would add photos, etc.  However, there wasn't really enough time to share it all today.  Tomorrow I have my Second Thursday Tutorial.  If you are reading this Officer Soto, I will share our Neighborhood Night Out on Friday.

For all of you who I laugh at when you see a Canadian Goose and place so much importance on it, this is why I find it so humorous.  These geese have not only taken over our neighborhood, it appears we have adopted them as our North Riverside symbol.  Now for my latest art!

I'm once again joining Neet at Hickydorums, our host this month at Art Journal Journey who has chosen Type as her theme.

I call this Time to change the ribbon.

The little boy will sit there until the ribbon is changed.

He has vowed not to budge.

He is stubbornly insistent

as he sits on the carriage of this Ramsdell typewriter.  Although I tried to find more information on the Ramsdell, there was none available.

You can see the sentiment which is:
It's time to change the ribbon.

I was going for a bit of artsy look with this shot.  It shows how different the boy looks from this perspective.

I began this journal page with a sheet of decorative heavy cardstock to which I added the fussy cut typewriter.  Next, I added the letters that I outlined in black ink.  I ran out of Ts and Is, so had to go with the white letters from the same collection.  I printed the typewriter on my laser printer. The old typewriter was a freebie from The Graphics Fairy
 
Thank you beyond belief for visiting today.  Bleubeard, and I are delighted you dropped by and hope to see you soon at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Type.

 

18 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Love your art - and the neighbourhood night out is a brilliant initiative. Have fun.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page, I have that image, too. Glad you enjoyed your neighbourhood night out, I'm not sure I'd want to meet up with mine! Have a great day, here it's cool and misty, autumn is coming! Hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, the lille boy sure has some cute patience!
Love the neighborhood idea.
Here they plan a give-away, but I think it´s "risky" as it´s but our house/garden, so reckon there will me lots of "trash" - Ingo wants to participate, though.
Looking forward to more info on yours :-)

Meggymay said...

The night out sounds a good community event a way perhaps for new neighbours to get to know each other.
I love the fantastic journal page and the little one sitting comfortably on the typewriter.
Yvonne xx

nwilliams6 said...

Love your Typewriter and the boy on top makes it extra fun - great idea. I still remember changing the ribbon - rather like changing the ink in our printers but a bit more difficult. Love that your community is so organized. Ours is not, but should be as some of us are family - we have 5 houses on the street and it isn't a long street - lol. Hugz

Let's Art Journal said...

The neighborhood night out sounds like a great idea to bring the community together 😀. Loving your page, the huge typewriter is the perfect place for the boy to sit and the oversized letters are perfect! Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

Barbara said...

I remember changing typewriter ribbons, and when they became disposable was a huge help!

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, very cool journal page for the theme Tyoe-hugs

My name is Erika. said...

I think Canada geese have taken over the world, not just your part of Wichita. As much as they can be pains in your know where, they are fun to watch. Of course their bird poop on docks, swim rafts and boats is another thing-smile.

And I just adore today's page. This is really clever. It is perfect for Neet's type challenge. I am having typewriter idea issues, so I am very excited about yours. Thanks for the inspiration. Happy middle of the week. Hugs-Erika

Annie said...

Well, isn’t this a very fun page! I was sure it was the boy’s job position of changing typewriter ribbons. He looks quite serious about it and I just knew he was expert at the changing. But as I read, he is in a more supervisory position. No inky fingers for him. I love old typewriter images and certainly remember the days of changing ribbons on typewriters and calculators. The switch in T and I letter colors is another fun detail for interest on your page.

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun journal page and the memories of taking out the old ribbon and trying to put the new ribbon in the typewriter and forgetting which side went up the black or red. And the black and red fingers when done!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

looking at this photo and typing on a PC keyboard ....times they be a changing ♫♫♪♪♫♪ ☺☺♥♥

Neet said...

What an absolutely delightful entry this is Elizabeth.
I love the way the striped paper in the background echoes the typewriter ribbon that your page is partly about. That is a fabulous typewriter, I have never heard of a Ramsdell before but how beautiful it is.
The little boy looks very determined as he sits there, he definitely is not moving until the ribbon is changed. Love the lettering and the use of white makes it all the more arty.
Thanks for a great entry for Art Journal Journey and my theme.
Hugs, Neet xxx
ps looking forward to your post on Friday about the Neighbourhood Night.

craftytrog said...

What a lovely way to get to know your neighbours Elizabeth. I hope you had a good time.
Your page is wonderful too, I love how you perched the little boy on the typewriter.
Alison
I laughed out loud at your comment about my 'tadpoles'!

RO said...

What a great idea, and your typewriter brings back memories 😀. 🤗Hugs, RO

Cindy McMath said...

I love this page! The little boy on the typewriter is so sweet and perfectly positioned.

Empire of the Cat said...

I love the little boy on the huge typewriter, and all the green and white letters. Elle xx

Matilde said...

I love that page! You had really coll idea!