Friday, August 13, 2021

Olympia (and Neighborhood Night Out photos)

 

It's Friday the 13th and I'm back joining my friend Neet at Hickydorums, our host this month at Art Journal Journey who has chosen Type as her theme.   I'm sure this is my lucky day!

Let's look at a typewriter with which I was not originally familiar.  This is a 1934 Olympia.  It was made in Germany.  Some of the letters on the typewriter are not the same as the QWERTY layout.  Believe it or not, this is a portable typewriter.  According to the Classic Vintage Typewriter web site:

Olympia story begins in 1903, Berlin. Under the direction of Dr. Friedrich von Hefner-Alteneck, European General Electric developed Olympia manual typewriters. In 1921, the first successful Olympia Model 3 rolled into market. Two years later, the company set up shop in Erfurt, Germany. During 1930's, Olympia Simplex, Model 7 and Model 8 gained popularity worldwide.

By 1943, World War II raged over European skies. Allied Forces bombed the city of Erfurt and severely damaged the Olympia Factory. In April 1945, eleven remaining employees survived the capture by Soviet Forces. The East German government seized the Olympia Factory and renamed it "Optima." Several employees fled to West Germany and set up shop in Wilhelmshaven.

From late 1940's onward, Olympia enjoyed worldwide success. By 1961, half of all typewriters in West Germany were built by Olympia: Simplex, Progress, Elite, SM and SF Portables.

Olympia machines ("Mercedes Benz" of typewriters) are legendary for their craftsmanship, eye-catching design and exceptional reliability. These machines were favored by authors Woody Allen, Patricia Highsmith, Stan Laurel, Robert Penn Warren, James Michener, Evan S. Connell and Carson McCullers. Olympia Typewriters are perfect for enthusiasts who wish to own an aesthetically pleasing object but also want to type to their heart's content.

 

After learning all this information,

I had to use one of these typewriters in a journal entry.

I'm actually trying to keep it simple today with the help of a paper doll and computer generated text.

The background showed through nicely, which I was hoping for.

For this page, I began by combining two colors of Staz-on reinkers with 91% isopropyl alcohol that I brushed on the page.  Once dry, I ran the page through my laser printer and added the Olympia typewriter.  To that I added the paper doll and the words for him to stand on.

Thank you ever so much for dropping by today.  Bleubeard, and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you soon at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Type.  We hope Friday the 13th is lucky for you, too.
 
But wait!  I promised Neighborhood Night Out photos.
 
Community policing officer Jesus Soto leads the way to what I will laughingly call the "party."  I had to lighten the photo considerably, or you would not have been able to see any faces.  The sun had backlit the Community Officers' faces.

From left are Officer J.M. (Jennifer) Helwi of the Field Services Division, Officer Kasey Weidner, another Community Police Officer, and Officer Jesus Soto, our Community Police Officer.  Also present was my foodie friend and neighbor, Sally, who I conned into joining me.  According to Sally, this may have been the worst idea I've had in my life.

I hate static photos where people are standing at attention.  I always like to show people in action, not standing in a line.  Note the small fire engine in the background.

However, when I actually remembered to get my camera out, everyone lined up for a photo shoot.  I swear this has never happened before but I have always had others in the neighborhood join the party.  This time, Sally and I were the party!

From left are Cindy Claycomb, our District VI representative, Officer Soto, Firefighter Mason, Firefighter Jones, Officer Helwi, and Officer Weidner.

Because I couldn't get everyone in a single shot, the very tall gentleman on the right is Charles (Charlie) Claycomb, Cindy's husband.

Since Cindy represents all of District VI, she asked about 

our clean-up.  I told her it was very successful.

I thought I would show Cindy all the bamboo and brush I was able to have removed free of charge!

That's why I thought it was a very successful clean-up!  I also have to thank Claire Willenberg for all the help she provided and for all the hard work she personally put in so all of North Riverside, myself included, could call the clean-up a success.

Back to the "party."  I had requested the Horse Unit, but when they didn't arrive by 6:45, I believed they weren't coming, which was probably for the better.  I knew it would take a long time for the horses to be removed from their trailer and I had stated in my application the party was from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.  I've been having these block parties for years, but this is the first year no one joined us except the police, fire, and city official.  All in all, I had a great time and was able to interact with these people which I have never been able to do before.  As many of my blogger friends know, I'm the one always too busy taking photos and not joining the conversation.  I hope you weren't too disappointed that the block party wasn't what I normally share.  You have to remember, the 'feels like' temperature right before the party was 108 F (42,2 C).  Officer Soto checked his "watch" (maybe a fitbit?) while he was there and said it was 97 F (36,1 C).  I'm sure that had something to do with people staying inside their air conditioned homes.  There was also no large firetruck this year because of Covid precautions.  BTW, I was the only one wearing a mask!


21 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

An early laptop!!!! How fun (and thank you for reminding me, my Mum always said this is her lucky day, Friday 13th!).

By all means I´d never put the name Hefner and a typewriter in one pot!

Oh, Wilhelmshaven, sweet and funny memories.

Crazy, that again I get a lesson on German history from a non-German - what did our history-teachers do????

I´m still puzzled someone is allowed to wear the name "Jesus"! I think that would not be possible here.

I agree, such photos always look weird - but, yet - fun and nice to see.
As your idea of the trash. Here they once a year pick up cigarette butts and such trash in the street, cleaning up after mindless fools, and I do not join this.

Hmmm 36C!!! Awwww, wonderful!!!! Can I come over? (haha, "Corinna")
Oh, right, now that you mention, no masks! I didn´t even see it! It looked so "normal".
The other week again it happened! Went outside, was nearly there at the grocery... uuuups, MASK! Back home, getting the darn mask!
Oh, boy, when will normal be back?!

Elephant's Child said...

Another fun post. I am glad that you finally got to speak to your guests this year.
I still have my portable typewriter - smaller than the Olympus though I haven't used it in years. I still touch type though.

Valerie-Jael said...

I know the Olympia type writer, and like the page you made with it. We have the QWERTZ system here. Glad you enjoyed your neighbourhood party! Valerie

Neet said...

WOW!
I so enjoyed reading about the typewriter. That was both informative and interesting. I have read lots about the machines but never read that about the Olympia. Thanks Elizabeth.
Love the page. The background is just enough, light and airy it provides the perfect foil for the heavy typewriter. The typewriter is interesting and reminds me of the first one I learned to type upon. I am sure it must have been a later model but then one does not know, it looks the same.
I do like how you have placed the TH boy, nonchalantly leaning on the shift key whilst standing on the wording (great font chosen). He certainly is pressing down with his elbow - right there!
Thanks to for your story of the party. I am glad so many 'officials'
turned out but agree that the heat was probably too much for some folks. Anything above 30 is too hot for me.
Congrats on the number of bags you got cleared - you had worked so hard with that bamboo.
Thanks for a lovely page for my theme at Art Journal Journey and for the information about the typewriter and the party.
Hugs, Neet xxx

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I loved learning about the background of Olympia typewrters. I like old typewriters in general, and while I appreciate all the efficiency of word processing, I miss the clickety clack of typing on a real typewriter. I really like how your art turned out: the final result of the boy and typewriter floating in clouds is stunning. You do some marvelous projects!

Barbara said...

Nostalgic post for those of us old enough to remember such machines. People standing in a line looking posed is fine as long as they look so happy!

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

Enjoyed reading about the Olympia typewriters. I can still hear my dad using his typewriter late into the evening. Had a manual one and then an electric one when I went to college.

Sounds like the hot weather did have an impact on people coming out to your National Night Out party. There were lots of officers smiling, so it looks like they were having a nice time.

My name is Erika. said...

This is another fun type page Elizabeth. My mom had an ancient typewriter which we used to "play" with as older kids and teenagers. Just typing things on it, not abusing it. We thought it was really fun. I love that you used one similar to hers today, and as usual, you have such a clever title. Using the TH boy works perfectly. Your neighborhood party also looks like it went well. Do you think it was well attended by folks in your neighborhood. Obviously Kathy didn't enjoy it. But good to know the police and city Councillors are thinking of your neighborhood. Hope you get cooler temperatures too. It is too hot here also. Happy Friday. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

I enjoyed the history of the Olympia typewriter. Your page made me think of my dad. He had a "portable" typewriter it had a case and was a ton to lug around. I forget what brand he had. When I went to college my parents gave me a Smith Corona portable electric typewriter. I earned extra money typing for a history professor. Thanks for the memories. Looks like those that braved the heat had a good time at your block party.

Annie said...

As a lover of typewriters, I loved reading the history of the Olympia typewriter. My mother owns a very, very old typewriter and now I wonder who the maker is as I’m not pulling it from memory. She tried having it repaired to working order but was not successful. After reading your reliability information, I’m thinking it must not be an Olympia - right? Ha. I love that you have a whole crew of young typewriter boys from back in the days of typewriter glory. At least the neighborhood party was not a total bust.

Nancy said...

Here's to the Olympia! And here's to the officers who came to make the neighborhood gathering a success. The unrelenting heat may have kept folks in their homes, but imagine them wearing all that gear in 97 degree heat! Dedication for sure.

Empire of the Cat said...

I love your typewriter page and the Olympia history. Those typewriters used to be quite common in secondhand shops but I've not seen one for ages. It was nice to see real people in your photos too, with smiling faces, sorry the heat spoiled the party somewhat. I could use some as the current temp is 17C. Have a lovely weekend Elle xx

craftytrog said...

A great post Elizabeth, and I love your page!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

as a kid, our street always had a block party; fun times !!! it's a shame more neighbors did not attend your's though I have to admit, even the ACTUAL temperature would have kept me inside... ☺☺☺

DVArtist said...

Wow I just don't know where to begin. What a fun a wonderful post.

aussie aNNie said...

Great interesting post and the pics are cool.x

Rita said...

I have an old Underwood. Bought it because it looked just like the one I learned on in the mid 60s.

You two were the party! Nice of them to make it and they seem like a great group of people. :)

Lowcarb team member said...

I enjoyed this post, thank you.

All the best Jan

Meggymay said...

A fantastic Typewriter and page, over the years I think many will have been thrown away as the technology age gathered momentum, lets hope folk have stored a few in lofts and sheds for the coming generations to see.
Super photos from your party I got the impression that not as many folk joined you as they usually do, signs of the times ? Still your area must look special now with the work thats been done.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I hadn't realized how far behind I was visiting folks until I opened inoreader and saw all these posts I hadn't seen from all the bloggers I follow. Wow! Makes me wonder what I've been doing the last 5 days, coz my house is certainly not any cleaner lol

The block party sounds interesting, though a police presence wouldn't be a draw for me ;) I'm surprised people didn't turn out. Maybe next year folks will feel more sociable :)

nwilliams6 said...

I give you kudos for trying! And Kudos to the police, fire crew, and Sally too. You are brave for sure and so glad you had your mask. Things here in Alabama are pretty scary. Hospitals are so full that if something happens to you, you have trouble finding help. My brother in law is in Afib and having a difficult time getting help. I am very worried about injuries from the hurricane as the hospitals are full. Scary!