Saturday, August 14, 2021

All the news that's fit to print

 

Just to let you know, I'm having a terrible time leaving comments on any and every blog with embedded comments.  Blogger is cycling through their robot reCaptcha requirements.  Once I leave a comment, it should publish, but there is nothing showing.  I have no problems leaving comments in pop-up comment boxes, because the little box I have to check is there.  That is not the case for embedded comments.  Please forgive me, if for some reason, I am unable to leave a comment on your embedded comment box.  I will still drop by and leave a comment, regardless whether blogger allows it to post or not. 

Typesetting is arranging type through the use of specific fonts.  It can also include symbols, letters, numbers, and icons. Most pre-digital newspapers used manual or moveable type to create pages for their newspaper pages.

Before I moved to Wichita, KS (Kansas), the largest city in the state, there were two daily newspapers, both eventually owned by the same company. 

In 1872 Fred A. Sowers founded the Wichita Beacon, a daily and weekly paper, and this was the first daily paper printed in Wichita.  The original editors were Sowers and Henry Allen. 

In the meantime, The Wichita City Eagle was founded by Col. Marshall Murdock, also in 1872.  In 1884, The Eagle and The Beacon both started daily publications.

In 1897 Allen purchased the Wichita Daily Beacon and by 1918 was the chief owner of that paper.

In 1908, Murdock died about the time the paper (Eagle) was moved to a new building.

 In 1910, not to be outdone, a 10-story Beacon building was built 

and was one of the first skyscrapers in Wichita.

In 1928, Max and Louis Levand bought The Beacon where they promised to promote community journalism.

For the next several decades, The Beacon and The Eagle were locked in a bitter rivalry.

On July 13, 1959, Time Magazine referred to Wichita as “the bottom of journalism’s barrel” as the papers try to “outdo each other in sensationalism.”

In 1960, The Eagle purchased the stocks and assets of the Beacon Newspaper Corp. and began publishing the afternoon Wichita Evening Eagle and Beacon, the morning Wichita Eagle, and the Sunday Eagle and Beacon (Are you as confused as I am?).

In 1973, the Murdock family sold The Eagle and Beacon to Ridder Publications.

In 1974, Ridder merged with Knight Newspapers to form Knight Ridder.

 In 1980, the two Wichita papers merged to become The Wichita Eagle-Beacon.

In 1984, Time Magazine noted The Wichita Eagle-Beacon was one of the best midsize newspapers in the country under the leadership of W. Davis “Buzz” Merritt, editor from 1975 to 1997.  Look how much the newspaper's reputation changed in just 25 years, at least according to Time Magazine.

In 1989, The Wichita Eagle-Beacon became The Wichita Eagle, which it still is today.

Here are some old front pages from the various Wichita newspapers over the years which is in keeping with Neet's Type theme at Art Journal Journey.  These were taken from the 1972 special 100 years "Centennial" edition of the paper, which I happened to find in my stash.  I purchased this and a few other 1970s memorabilia/ephemera several years ago at a garage sale.  These are actual front pages from the two papers over the years.  This special edition was published on April 9, 1972.

I decided to scan this so you can see the details better.  Blogger is fighting me, though.

This first front page shown is the sinking of the Titanic off Newfoundland on it's maiden voyage. The Daily Eagle devoted the entire front page to news of the tragedy.  It also included many stories and illustrations of the event. 

The end of WWI, also considered "The Greatest War of all Time," was shown on the front page of the Daily Eagle on November 11, 1918.  Stories included the celebration of the Armistice Parade that would start that afternoon at 4 p.m.

Aviation minded Wichitans joined the rest of the country in congratulating Charles Lindbergh on his solo flight across the Atlantic to Paris.

On the morning of December 8, 1941, Wichitans read about the "Day of Infamy" in The Eagle.  The entire front page was devoted to the attack on Pearl Harbor.  The streamer headline told of Roosevelt's speech to Congress, which would be carried on all radio networks.  It wouldn't be long after Roosevelt's speech, the United States would enter the war that was raging in both Europe and the Pacific.

The evening edition of The Eagle's headline touched on the bomb that had been dropped on Hiroshima, but there were few real details.  Readers had to wait until the morning edition of The Eagle on August 7, 1945 to learn the full extent of the destruction.

The entire nation was stunned to learn about Kennedy's assassination in Dallas.  Those who hadn't seen it on TV or heard it on the radio, read about the tragedy in The Wichita Beacon.  Photos of that day included moments before the president was shot, and him slumped in the limo that quickly carried him to the hospital.

A new era had arrived on July 20, 1969 when Neil Armstrong and Ed Aldrin landed on the moon.  Other news shows we were still engaged in the war in Vietnam as shown on the front page of the Wichita Eagle that day.

For this page, I began by swiping dye ink around the outside of pale yellow 90 lb. cardstock.  I didn't want to distract from the pages I cut from the Centennial Edition of the Wichita Eagle-Beacon.  After I fussy cut the front pages, I computer generated the blurbs underneath each page.  The pages were quite hard to read, and the paper was quite old, which is why I decided to scan the journal page instead of taking photos.  I hope you enjoyed this look back at the history of the two newspapers that shaped Wichitans' news over that 100 year period.  I'm sure, even if you are an international visitor, you will still have read about some of these incidents/events that occurred between 1872 and 1972.

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today.  Bleubeard and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you this month at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Type.
 
I would like to explain, because some asked, that there were only two block parties in all of North Riverside this year.  Usually there are at least two on my street alone!!  I don't feel so bad now.  It appears no one wanted to be out in this unrelenting heat.  I'm just thankful that Sally showed up. 

 

15 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Great page with all those newspapers, it's good to look back and see what was going on. I always enjoy reading my newspaper, much better than just getting news from TV or Internet, and they have a feature each day re-showing an article from the past. Have a great day, take care, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Wow, what treasures you have there!!! That is ... awesome. The moon! Ingo´s parents dragged him out of the bed - it was in the middle of the night in Germany. He didn´t want to watch, he was too tired and thought it´s a comic, LOL.
Our main newspaper moved to the inner city - a huge building and I wonder what for? I assume... they "maybe" might use those modern things called computer or laptop? Or such.
Great finds you have there, I´m impressed! And thank you for explaining. It must´ve been exciting times.
Exciting, not only frightening like today...

Neet said...

Oh Gosh! What a treasure this is. Such iconic moments in history and so perfect for my theme at Art Journal Journey.
It was so interesting scanning the various pages and recalling knowing about the different incidents.
With reference to the first page about the Titanic, we once stayed at a hotel called 30 St James Street which was the former HQ of Titanic's White Star Line in Liverpool.
I remember the shooting of your President Kennedy too, as I was working in a hairdressers that night when the news came through on the radio. It was a weekend job that I took to supplement my pay, at the time, in my proper job.
Of course I remember other things too but these two stood out for me. I am not saying I remember some of them - I am not quite that old LOL.
Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane Elizabeth, what a treasure this page is. Something you can look at over and over again and find out various things from the history provided by the Wichita Newspaper.
Thanks for sharing this fabulous page with us all at Art Journal Journey.
Hugs, Neet xxx

Elephant's Child said...

This is a fascinating post. Thank you for persevering (and ultimately triumphing) despite the blogger difficulties.

My name is Erika. said...

That's great that they published a a commemorative paper from those big dates in history. It makes a great page and I think you were smart to not make the page very busy. Nice idea for Neet's type challenge for sure! It was also interesting to read about the paper. It got me thinking about my hometown newspapers (Worcester, MA) where there used to be the morning Telegram and the evening versions called the Gazette. Now they are just one daily paper. My mom still likes to read them (although she won't remember what she read), and it is expensive each month- $98. We still get the paper for her as it is a part of her life from probably childhood on. Now it's mostly online or TV, isn't it? Thanks for this interesting post. And happy Saturday. Hugs-Erika

craftytrog said...

An interesting post Elizabeth. I love how you used those newspaper fronts on your page.
Alison

Elkes Lebensglück said...

This is an interesting, very great posting! You present the old newspapers and the buildings impressively!
I wish you a nice weekend! Hugs, Elke

Elephant's Child said...

I am so sorry about your blogger glitches. I have troubles too when I am stuck in the proving I am not a robot stage...

Sandra Cox said...

Blogger can be just a tad-bit frustrating can't it?
I enjoyed reading about your newspapers.
Hope your weekend is wondrous and free of irritation:)

Lowcarb team member said...

I am sorry about your blogger glitches, hopefully it will sort itself out soon.
Fascinating to see these newspapers in your post.

Happy weekend wishes.

All the best Jan

sirkkis said...

How interesting old 'news', Elizabeth. A great idea for your page.
Happy weekend xx

Meggymay said...

A fantastic journal page and the post was really interesting with you showing us all the newspaper pages. Sadly papers don't seem to be so popular these days with many producing on line versions .
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I kinda miss a daily newspaper. We still have one here, but it's more like a flyer and it's not locally-run. Sad, really. I remember when we had a morning paper and an afternoon paper put out by competing enterprises. I do follow local news sources online through Facebook and Twitter. It's not the same, though. I like your page highlighting these historic event stories.

The heat here has relented, no longer the heat warnings and huge swaths of orange and red on the local weather maps. I don't mind the heat except when I'm trying to sleep and the AC can't cope. These pleasant breezy mornings with temps only in the 80s are easier to walk in, though.

Jeanie said...

I'm very fond of newspapers and bemoan the fact that there are so very few left these days. This was a wonderfully informative post.

If you get to something that says "post a comment," try right clicking and opening in a new page. You'll still have to do the captcha if blogger is having its periodic hissy fit, but it's easier to add them.

nwilliams6 said...

Very interesting story of the newspapers, Elizabeth. Times have sure changed. I wonder how much longer any newspapers will last. I am not fond of new avenues of news as no control or ingrity. Actually, I try to avoid it a much as possible as it is so depressing. Love your page and very interesting events. Hugz