Friday, July 2, 2021

Second on the 2nd: a trip to Tuscany

 

Many of you know I like to bring back a post that relates to the theme of the current host at Art Journal Journey And this month, our host is Alison Bomber, who many of you know as butterfly.  It's amazing that last month, my second look involved a challenge set by Alison.  This second look takes us back to 2019 and a trip to Tuscany.  I've eliminated the challenges I entered for this page but have kept most of the words intact.  I now give you:

 In the Tuscany Hills

 For this page, I included three towns in the hills of Tuscany.  


Our first stop is Orvieto.

This Tuscan town sits high atop a rocky perch.

Apparently, getting to the top where Orvieto sits is half the fun.  You have your choice of ascending by escalator or cable car. The strategically built town is free of modern-day traffic, which means there are no cars anywhere in Orvieto.

The entire town is filled with narrow streets, beautiful churches, a historic palace, and a maze of tunnels and caves, which includes an underground lifestyle.
 
Yes, we are visiting the hill towns in Tuscany today.
 
Our next stop is Cortona which is just a few miles from Sienna (a city visited in a previous post).  The city is enclosed by stone walls high on top of a Tuscan hill.   This hilltop town offers a panorama view of the entire countryside.  

Here I have shown the Piazza della Repubblica in Cortona.  Unfortunately, I typed Cortana in the text and delta instead of della.  Piazza della Repubblica is the main square and dates back to the Roman age.

In case you can't read it, or need to interpret:
Visit the tight-knit alleyways snaking out from its center of Piazza della Repubblica.  Don't forget to visit the 13th century town hall and the imposing cathedral.
For those who love literature, this is the town made famous by the novel Under the Tuscan Sun written by Frances Mayes.  Mayes still lives in Cortona throughout the year.
 
Only a few miles from both Sienna and Cortona is Assisi, a medieval jewel.  This includes the stunning UNESCO World Heritage Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi which was completed in 1253. 
 
The basilica, visible for miles, is built into the side of a hill and comprises two churches and a crypt where the remains of St. Francis of Assisi are interred. 

These two ladies are visiting these hilltop towns.
 
For this page, I began by spritzing my handmade shimmering mists on both sides of the substrate, which is 110 lb card stock. 
 
I outlined the edges around the images using my brand new Krylon Leafing Pen.  I computer generated the words and printed them on my laser printer.  I colored them using water soluble crayons.  I also printed a postcard back and cut it.  I used a metallic gel pen to write the words and address.  I secured the TH paper dolls securely to the ground so they didn't float.  Unfortunately, I didn't see the parts I was supposed to punch out before I glued them tightly to the page.
 
________________________________________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this look back at the sunny Tuscan countryside.

Now it's time to share your own Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable, as long as it's been published sometime in the past.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.  This link will be good until 4 p.m. my time on Monday afternoon when T Tuesday goes live.










17 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Tuscany was one of the best holidays I had in my life! It was 2015 - ohhh.... time runs!
Also the most yummiest pizza at a tiny stand with a huuuuge queue (for a reason). It was in San Gimignano... hmmmmm, sooo yum.

We have not been in Orvieto, though.
Oh, Sienna. Help!!! We had a guide who called herself "the lovely Susanne". She treated us like kids and the second day only 3 guys followed her, all others (we were a group of 20-something people) went to get a beer. And Pizza, of course. And explored the city on our own.
To imagine horses galloping there...! Was that Sienna? With the world-oldest bank, too? I´m not good with orientation/cities...

I´m sorry, I already joined River... And also coming around with Tuscany would be redundant, would it? ;-)
Thank you for the memories, though!
And nice to see as well!

Elephant's Child said...

What a gorgeous depiction of what I believe is a very, very beautiful part of the world. A part I have not seen.

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful. Lovely journey into this world. xx

Valerie-Jael said...

A beautiful journal page about a wonderful place. My uncle lived in Sienna for many years, and it was great to visit him there. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

A beautiful trip. The Eldest visited Assisi when she was in college. She noticed the Italian ladies in this area were all thin and fit because of walking up the steep streets! If I were one of the ladies in your picture, I'd change those stylish heels to a good, sturdy walking shoe.😺

My name is Erika. said...

It's always fun to see your travel journal. Italy is beautiful and although I haven't been Cortona, it looks like I need to add that to my bucket list. Smile. It is really beautiful. Speaking of traveling, I think you said you were off today on a vacation. Have lots of fun and enjoy! Hugs-Erika

Annie said...

It’s fun to see some previously made journal pages from the AJJ group. It’s also an affordable way to travel when it isn’t possible in real life. What beautiful Tuscan areas you share that I am not likely to ever see in person.
You were not behind in my posts. I posted the three posts within a day of each other. I was asked by the Postcrossing group to share tutorials for my handmade postcards. That is why they were posted together. I’ve responded to all your requests to include my blog on your sidebar. Without being able to contact someone directly, I guess the responses are not always seen. I’d be honored to have a place on your sidebar.

DVArtist said...

Wow this is beautiful. Have a wonderful weekend.

Divers and Sundry said...

A beautiful tribute. I'd love to make this trip in person.

Jeanie said...

Tuscany is a spot I've always wanted to visit. This really reflects my completely made up version of what it must be like!

pearshapedcrafting said...

A fabulous second look Elizabeth - I am always happy to see Tuscany. I may have mentioned before that when we went to Assisi It poured with rain and to begin with the Basilica was surrounded by cloud which fortunately lifted just as we left! Hugs, Chrisx

Mae Travels said...

Tuscany has become so popular that those backroads towns are all crowded now, I've heard. I had a lovely stay one time at a monastery that had been converted to a conference center, with beautiful tiny roads that led to the closest little town. From there I drove around to various other little towns, always almost lost, always surprised when I found my way back. Before GPS of course. Your pages remind me of that stay.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Sharon Madson said...

I love the beautiful colors you used for your Tuscany page, Elizabeth. Love your ladies visiting the hilltop towns. There is a lot of good information on your page, too. Thanks for reposting! Have a happy 4th, Elizabeth!

My name is Erika. said...

Thanks for letting me know I messed up posting on second on the second. I had limited time and too many things to do-augh! All fixed now.

Lowcarb team member said...

Tuscany is beautiful, and so is this post :)

All the best Jan

craftytrog said...

A beautiful page! I would love to be there! xx

Meggymay said...

That would be a super destination, its a lovely journal page Elizabeth.
Yvonne xx