Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Summer Countryside

 

Today we welcome with pride a first time host, Alison Bomber, who many of you know as Butterfly.  Some of you will recognize her from her incredible quotes she creates for Paper Artsy.  We are simply thrilled she agreed to be the host at Art Journal Journey this month.  Her blog is called Words and Pictures.  Her theme is Summer Countryside.
 

For my first entry this month, I actually drew these shapes and cut them to size.
 
You are probably having trouble reading my lousy handwriting.  This reads "Summer is singing with joy
 
and the countryside
 
is calling."

Each of these shapes was fussy cut, not punched or cut using a die cutter.

I placed what I hope you believe is a fence

in front of

the various trees

I colored using various greens.

This page is now ready to be glued into my Collage Two altered book.  I started by adding some Staz-on and 91% Isopropyl alcohol to create the background.  I then colored three pages using water soluble crayons, watercolors, and watercolor pencils. For the circles, I laid down various plastic cups and drew around the back side of the pages.  The triangle was very simple, and the other tree was a bit of whimsy from my imagination.  Tree trunks were painted brown using one watercolor.  The fence was first drawn using a ruler, then filled in using a brown felt tipped pen.  The designs were created using various pens, including a black marker.  The words were written with that same black marker.  The words came from my imagination.

Thank you ever so much for visiting today.  Alison, Chris, Erika, Valerie, Yvonne, Bleubeard, and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you this month at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Summer Countryside.   

We welcome art journal pages that meet the size and theme requirements, altered book pages, canvases, loose or stand alone pages including fabric, and digital art.  We do not allow cards, tags, index cards, ATCs, or ATCoins, and as much as we don't want to, will be forced to delete your entry. 

And for my dear Canadian friends, happy Canada Day.

 

23 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

I like your whimsical trees!

Iris Flavia said...

"Lousy"? You should see my handwriting.
We´re just not used to write by hand anymore! Sometimes I cannot read mine... yours is good.
My Dad once "left" me in the dark woods in winter (for seconds only, but he drove away without explaining, leaving me with a stranger - woods I never liked ever again, "LOL" I was 4).
But your work is beautiful, the round trees I love. And the background.
Summer is on vacation. 13 C. Brrrr. Such a year again? At least rain! :-)

aussie aNNie said...

Oh what a gorgeous post, I am in love with the the trees and your amazing work.
Yes my pencils were $20 AUD for a tin of 50 and the colours are gorgeous..xx

Words and Pictures said...

This page makes me happy - the trees are so full of pattern and joy with their simple, pleasing shapes summoning up childhood and innocence alongside the vivid greens of the countryside. I love the words too... yes, the countryside is calling! So happy to be spending some time in the Summer Countryside with you at AJJ this month!
Alison x

Elephant's Child said...

Beautiful - and there is nothing wrong with your hand writing. Nothing at all.

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page, Elizabeth, great idea with the 'lollypop' trees, really summery! Your writing is fine, clear and easy to read. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Elkes Lebensglück said...

I love these trees like lollipops and great your words about them! Fits to the topic of your journal page!
Have a beautiful July, hugs Elke

My name is Erika. said...

This page is full of summer whimsy. I LOVE those shape trees. And I especially love the background which really looks like a sky on one of those days when there are lots of clouds and peaks of blue.. The blue is perfect. And your penmanship is at least legible. I can write neat with something Sharpie size, but any smaller, like a pen, it is horrible. At work they used to always make me type everything...especially any form that had to be read by several people. This is a fun way page to start the new month. Happy July. Hugs-Erika

Annie said...

Your wonderfully modern trees could have come straight from Wisconsin. With so much rain and humidity these days there is an explosion of green everywhere. I love the details you’ve given each tree showing how well they live together even though being different. A great example of life isn’t it. And a terrific welcome to summer.

craftytrog said...

I love this page Elizabeth! xx

Neet said...

I love your stylised woodland and your hand writing is much clearer than mine, I actually sometimes have problems reading what I have written myself.
I like how you have used the blue in the background, it looks very effective used in that way and doesn't darken the whole page as I tend to do when let loose with paint. Have no worries, the fencing looks like fencing.
Hugs Neet xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I can read your handwriting just fine :) and I love your take on summer. Great trees, and that's a summer scene if ever I saw one. Joy in the summertime countryside would suit me well right now :)

Meggymay said...

I love your page and those fussy cut trees look fantastic, a countryside view creating its own kind of magic. Your writing is so much better than mine, many of us seem to not like how we write perhaps that from schooldays when teachers always seemed to want perfection.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

DVArtist said...

Ohhh I love this so much. One of my favorites of yours. Have a great day.

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful page! I'm loving your green summery trees and the wording is perfect for this month's challenge too 😁. Happy July! Hugs, Jo x

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like this, it's so nice and summery.
My good wishes for the new month of July.

All the best Jan

pearshapedcrafting said...

These trees are fabulous Elizabeth and I have said this before - I love your handwriting. It may take you longer but it is definitely flowing! The words you have used are speaking to me - we're off somewhere new again tomorrow! Hugs, Chrisx

CJ Kennedy said...

Happy, whimsical trees

sirkkis said...

Wonderful take on the theme.
Wish your July is full of sun and joy xx

Jeanie said...

I like this piece. It's very happy and I really like the colors. (Maybe I'm biased because it reminds me a wee bit of a painting I've been sketching out. If I end up painting it, you'll see why!)

da tabbies o trout towne said...

this is a very "happy, colorful and fun" piece Elizabeth...very nice job !!

hope your 4th is safe

bleu and squiggles, time ta bee lookin for a sound proof room for SUNday nite ~~~~ YOW ~~~~♥♥☺☺

DigiDaddy World said...

This is beautiful
Love this

nwilliams6 said...

This is so happy and fun, Elizabeth. Great idea and very creative landscape! Hugz