Thursday, March 18, 2021

Rain's Thursday Art Date: Diagonal

 

It's Thursday, so that means it's time to show my contribution to Rain's weekly Thursday Art Date.  This week the theme is Diagonal.  I really don't have a lot to show this week, I fear.

In fact, most everything I have is shibori dyeing.

I love shibori dyeing, and this is the result of several pieces I made using white fabric I wrapped around a two inch pole.  I used Staz-on ink (reinkers) to create the colors.

This shibori dyeing project was made using a spray fabric paint I won when I offered to write a tutorial.  I was not impressed with the fabric spray paint because it was (at that time) $6.00 (USD) for six ounces.  It was also one time use, because if you don't use it all the first time, it won't spray after the can has not been used for a few days.

I have a Christmas tag that might be considered diagonal.  I created it in 2016 as the calendar shows.

Switching gears, I'm not sure you can see where the floor turns diagonal, but this is from our local African-American museum.

All photos taken by me, all art created by me.  Bleubeard wants to know what diagonal is.  What can I say?  He's a cat.

Thank you beyond belief for stopping by.  I am truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join Bleubeard and me at Rain's Thursday Art Date.
 

 

27 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

LOVE your take on Rain's prompt, and, as always, admire your creativity.

Iris Flavia said...

LOVE that dyeing, reminds me of the olden school days where we went Hippie and dyed T-shirts like that!
Maybe I do that again! Maybe. They might mistake me for a real (old) Hippie by now, LOL!
Oh, thank you, Elizabeth, now I have an earworm! I didn´t drive home for Christmas since my Mum passed.
Bleubeard sits here with a diagonal paint of blue on his face (really I´m so sorry).

Valerie-Jael said...

The dyed pieces are beautiful! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Elkes Lebensglück said...

These are beautiful dyed fabrics, I like that too and the pasts on the subject and also the diagonal wooden panel in the museum and the enchanting Tag!
Have a good day, hug Elke

Gillena Cox said...

Bravo, luv the tag. And everthing else
Have a good Thursday. Happy you dropped by my blog

Much💜love

Barbara said...

Beubeard ha diagonal ears! 😉

Ella said...

In the 80's it was a must to have a T-shirt or a dress dyed like that!
Oh, the 80's were so beautiful!
You're funny ... "I'm not sure you can see where the floor turns diagonal"!🤣
Enjoy your day! Hugs!

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, Great examples of the diagonal theme-wasn't familiar with the spray dye paints-your pieces turned out really nice, and loved the floor boards in the back. Have a good day-are you getting all these days of heavy rain too? it just won't stop hugs Kathy

Christine said...

Wonderful samples of diagonal here Elizabeth!

DVArtist said...

Hey beautiful lady, I hope you are feeling well. The dyeing is gorgeous. I love the floors in that museum too. I would love to go there. Have a great day today.

CJ Kennedy said...

The dyed cloths are pretty. Your Christmas tag is reminding me of a project for a Christmas gift for the grand-niece, a mermaid tail blanket. Love those woods floors, too.

Mae Travels said...

Maybe a cat could understand a diagonal created by swinging an object on a string -- they often bat an object moving that way with their paws when it is on the diagonal. Maybe diagonal is beyond their reckoning, but I like thinking about it.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Jeanie said...

Wonderful examples of diagonals, Elizabeth!

NatureFootstep said...

lol. Yes, I see all diagonals, even the floors at the back :)

My name is Erika. said...

I like seeing your diagonal fabric. Especially using the Staz-on reinker. The colors came out great.Nice diagonal too. The spray fabric didn't come out half as nice, although it still looks good. I think you nailed the diagonal challenge. Hope all is well. Hugs-Erika

My name is Erika. said...

And thanks for the sketchbook revival link. I just saw it and am checking it.

Olde Dame Holly said...

Tell Bleubeard that "diagonal" is when a mouse runs across the middle of the room from one corner to the other, with a blue cat hot on its trail! I use Stayz-On, too, for inking tiles I turn into coasters. It really does stay on! Your Christmas tag is just stunning!

craftytrog said...

Some great examples of diagonal Elizabeth. I love your dyed fabric.
Alison xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I love the diagonal design in your dyed pieces. Nice!

Sandra Cox said...

The dye pieces are gorgeous and I love the tag.
I can see the diagonal in the floor.
Have a wonderful weekend.

Lowcarb team member said...

Well done, a great take on Rains theme.

All the best Jan

Sami said...

Love the colours on both of the fabrics Elizabeth, great job.

Tom said...

...diagonals can be found everywhere and you fond lot of wonderful ones.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Lovely artwork.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I am wondering whether I could have found any! Love the ones you did find, Chrisx

Cathy Kennedy said...

Elizabeth,

Blogger is having an issue. Let's try commenting again. :) I really like your first piece. The lines are perfect for the diagonal theme and I really like the colors. Your Christmas gift tag is really pretty. I'd like to make those for our presents sometime. :)

Rain said...

Hi Elizabeth! :)) Bleubeard may understand diagonal if you put a few pieces of yarn in diagonal directions for him to study and chase. :) Your dyed fabric is beautiful and I love that tag!!! :)