Saturday, November 14, 2020

Signs of spring

 

Today I'm once again joining Wendy, our host this month at Art Journal Journey, with her theme, which is Birds

I call this Signs of spring.  And because Try it on Tuesday's theme this fortnight is Traditional Christmas Colors, I am also joining their challenge.  After all, red and green are traditional Christmas colors and when you combine the two, you get what I call "Christmas brown," even though some call it mud!

I actually created this the first part of the month, but failed to share it until now.  I'm actually very glad I misplaced it because it makes a good challenge entry for
Try it on Tuesday.
 
I sewed the lace to the page.
 
I got up close so you could see how I hand dyed the crocheted lace which looks suspiciously lavender in the photos.
 
I'm having a terrible time trying to get my words to align under my photos.  It's sad because I pride myself in a certain look for the pages I create.  I can't even end a sentence with a period without having to undo changes.  
 
I've now added this to my Scraps altered book.
 
Thanks so very much for visiting Bleubeard and me today.  We sincerely hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your take on Birds and Try it on Tuesday with your take on Traditional Christmas Colors.  

I'm also joining AEDM.  Today is Day 14 and I created a journal page for both Art Journal Journey and Try it on Tuesday.


23 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely page, the lace is a pretty extra touch. And thanks for joining us at TIOT, much appreciated! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Mae Travels said...

Your cardinal is very cheery! They do often appear on Christmas cards as they are so perfectly red.

I don't understand what you are trying to do on blogger that's not working. If you want the words centered under the images, have you tried using the caption feature? It seems to be working as well in the new software as it did in the old software. Or did you have some other alignment in mind?

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Mrs.B said...

A great piece and although it's captioned 'Signs of Spring' I don't think your Red Cardinal quite believes it - there's still lots of berries on the holly, so definitely a Christmas feel to it.
Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday.
Avril xx

NatureFootstep said...

The Cardinal male is a colorful bird. Your art does i justice

Iris Flavia said...

This is so beautiful! And so fitting to my Spring-ticker 😉
(4 months and 5 days to go (German date)).
How did you do the scene? Is that watercolor? The lace is perfect for this, too with the blue sewing.

CJ Kennedy said...

Love the cardinal. He looks like he's saying Sign of Spring. Are you kidding? Or is that just me? 😺 Enjoy your day.

My name is Erika. said...

This is perfect for AJJ and also for Try It On Tuesday and the traditional Christmas colors challenge. Plus the cardinal is such a commonly used bird for Christmas. Must be the red. Love the trim you added too. This is perfect. Thanks for joining us at TIOT. And have a fabulous start to the weekend. Hugs-Erika

craftytrog said...

A gorgeous page Elizabeth! I love the bird, and the lace is a great finishing touch.
Happy weekend,
Alison xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I like that edge of lace on that lovely image.

WendyK said...

A beautiful Cardinal on your lovely Christmasy page. Thank you for another great entry on AJJ. Hugs Wendy

DVArtist said...

This is beautiful. I really like the lace. As for blogger. I found that when my text wouldn't align up at the top of the page the text heading change from normal to paragraph. For me when it is in paragraph I can do nothing with the my text. I have to keep changing it back. Along with you my sidebar to add or even remove blog site is non functional. I am so upset with blogger.

kathyinozarks said...

Beautiful Elizabeth, it feels like spring here this week.
just a note I deleted my latest blog back to my hummingbird blog

Jeanie said...

Very pretty lace! I saw my first cardinal of the fall yesterday -- so handsome and red@

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like the cardinal on your page, it makes it extra cheerful somehow.

Enjoy your weekend.

All the best Jan

Serena Lewis said...

I love this piece, Elizabeth! The lace is a lovely touch. I don't think we get cardinals here in Australia but I do enjoy seeing them usually around Christmas time when they seem to feature a lot in art.

Not sure what you mean re. text alignment. Are you wanting to centre your text under the images? I usually work in Normal mode, not Paragraph. When I want to centre the text above or under images, I find that I sometimes need to double-click the cursor into place on the left side of the text I want to centre. Then I go to the menu bar and, in the alignment tab beside the Smiley icon, I select Centre Align. Hope that helps.

Have a lovely weekend. :)

Serena Lewis said...

OR if it's the images you need to Centre....In the editor, click on the Image you want to align, then in the menu that appears, just select which alignment you want. Good luck.

Rita said...

I have trouble with blogger, too, adding pictures and spacing and centering--all kinds of things that used to be easy. I guess it fits in with the rest of the 2020 changes--LOL!

Lovely. I always enjoy that touch of red with a cardinal! :)

aussie aNNie said...

This is absolutely beautiful, the colours and wonderful design.... just love this.
x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Elizabeth, what a fabulous page! If ever I get to the USA(it's becoming less likely) I will want to see at least one cardinal, a blue jay and a chickadee..oh and maybe one of your robins!
This is a wonderfully joyful page - and with your sewing too! Spring will be here before we know it...won't it.... please??
Thank you so much for joining us at Try It On Tuesday, Chrisxx

Serena Lewis said...

Replying to your comment on my blog. :)

Prior to the Blogger upgrade, the Default mode was Normal whereas now, it seems to switch to Paragraph once you place the cursor in the text box. I always make sure I change it back to Normal before starting to type. Not sure that it would cause your issue though.

Blogger images seem to Centre Align by Default. I notice all your images are Left Aligned so do you change that manually straight away after adding each image? If not, do so, before typing underneath. Blogger could be confused between the image default of Centre Align and your Left Align text.

Also, have you tried highlighting/selecting the whole paragraph of the wayward text and then select Left Align from your top menu?

Not sure if any of that will help but I do hope your issue gets resolved sooner than later. Things like that can be a real pain so I understand your frustration. Good luck.

sirkkis said...

The cardinal bird looks enjoying its meal ;)
A fantastic page.
Happy new week ahead xx

nwilliams6 said...

Lovely cardinal! Glad you found it and finished it up. Some pretty colors and the lace is perfect!!! Underscores the elegance of the bird. Lovely! Hugz

Neet said...

Having taught typewriting at a high level I share your frustration with Blogger these days. I too have certain ways I like to set my pages out and some times I find it very difficult to follow my layout rules.
However, thank goodness you have no problem with creating your journal pages.
I really enjoyed this one with its bright bird, is that a cardinal? We don't have such bright birds where I am and I am always thrilled when I see a Jay in our garden because i enjoy his colours which are still muted but lovely.
Thanks for a lovely page to look at - I have 'sewn lace' envy.
Hugs, Neet xx