Sunday, November 15, 2020

Monday Murals: Diversiy


It's time once again to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals.  Even though it's still Sunday in my world, please be aware that Sami's mural link goes live at 10:01 a.m. my time today.

This mural covers an entire half block on a commercial building.  It is so large, I could only get it in one photo by shooting it from across the street.  I have learned that the right side from scroll to scroll was painted by Marshall Middle School students in 2014.  I have no idea about the remaining part of the mural, but you can tell the tone and theme changes.

There is so much going on, I'll let you peruse it yourself.


There are certainly many countries represented in the heart.

It was painted in 2014 by a artist that may be named 0upek.  "In Diversity There is Beauty and there is Strength" is inscribed on the mural.

The children who worked on it from Marshall Middle School are shown here on the right.



It appears this part was also painted in 2014.




This is a very, very positive mural and it honors the North End of Wichita.  I believe this is before the Horizontes Program was established to help artists paint murals on the North and East Ends of Wichita.



This mural is located on the corner of 22nd Street and Arkansas (pronounced Ar-Kansas) in Wichita, Kansas (USA).

If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.

And because this is November, it is also Day 15 of AEDM, where I photographed a mural in my city. 

I also have a question for those of you who have sidebars in blogger.  Are you able to add an icon to your sidebar like "blogs I love to visit" on my left sidebar?  I can no longer save any blogs on my left sidebar. I am not the only person affected by this problem, so I know it isn't just my blog.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 


26 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful mural, the students put a lot pf thought and effort into it. I don't know about the sidebars in Blogger, perhaps they are working on that, too. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

Cool mural. I love the burro who says stay in school. Those middle school kids are so talented. That is one thing that always left me in awe teaching (but that I don't remember the same way as a student). The talent kids have in art, music, acting, sports, etc. Of course I worked in an artsy community (probably the most in the state although some might argue that), and so kids were really encouraged to pursue their talents. I enjoyed seeing this mural as well as the others. I gives me a glimpse into Wichita which I don't know all that much about, except what you share. Hope you have some time today for some fun. I finished my clothing change over yesterday so no art time, but maybe today. Hugs-Erika

WendyK said...

What fabulous murals, very colourful.
Hugs wendy

Barbara said...

I love the middle school mural, and the wisdom of the “diversity” quote. Hooe springs eternal!

Barbara said...

Ooops, that should have read HOPE springs eternal.

DVArtist said...

Wow so much talent here. The messages are for now and the future. I really think this is the best one you have shared with us. Enjoy your day.

craftytrog said...

I really love this one!!! xx

Sami said...

Great mural Elizabeth, huge and quite colourful and love the great quotes too. I can see the different styles on each side of the mural.
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals.

Divers and Sundry said...

Cool mural! There are talented artists in that school!

I can put links in categories in my right sidebar but have never tried to add icons to them.

kathyinozarks said...

beautiful mural Elizabeth,
that blog list is not working at all-so I made sure everyone was in my reader list which I discovered in my settings towards the bottom of the row and then just deleted it off my blog-it doesn't show the newest posts anymore either-so will just "wing" it now haha as it doesn't seem like the readers list puts the newest ones first either

Mae Travels said...

Encouraging kids to paint murals is a wonderful trend -- or at least it was a trend until everything was disrupted. I've seen quite a few such murals. Whether the kids are good students, not-so-good students, from enriched or deprived backgrounds, and whatever their ethnicity, it seems like a great thing for them.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Serena Lewis said...

What a beautiful, colourful mural with wonderful meaning! Such talent! I love when young people are encouraged to explore their artistic abilities.

Re. Blogger - Are you meaning the Thumbnail? Maybe it's a temporary blogger glitch? I haven't had any issues myself adding blogs.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your issue but do you normally add new blogs via the little tool icon at the bottom of your blog list...on your live blog? Have you tried adding them via your Dashboard? Open Dashboard, click on Layout, then click on Edit in the box that says Blogs I Love to Visit. In the box that opens, be sure to place a tick in Thumbnail of Most Recent item so that it shows Thumbnails.

OR are you meaning you can't create a whole new list?

On the same Layout page, click on Add a Gadget, then look for Blog List and click on the + sign to add it. It will bring up a box for you to add blogs and again, be sure to tick Thumbnail of Most Recent item. Oh and remember to add a title for your new list.

Sorry, if that's not what you were meaning.

Serena Lewis said...

Sorry, finally the penny dropped...you DID mean Icons. You can still check via the instruction above. In the box that pops up when you click to Edit the Blogs I Love to Visit list (or other lists), just be sure that Icon is also ticked. If it's ticked and Icons are still not showing, I would suggest you remove the tick, Save. Then go back into it and add a tick back into the Icon option. It may refresh Blogger's code settings. Good luck.

CJ Kennedy said...

I can't add or remove blogs from my sidebar either. I should say, I can do the add or remove, but the Save feature isn't available. Just another of new Blogger's features.

Very talented middle schoolers. Great mural and positive sentiment.

kwarkito said...

A wonderful mural. There is a lot to see in it.

Serena Lewis said...

Just saw your comment on my blog. I'm sorry that the Layout option didn't help either. I've been lucky so far with no issues and I hope it continues that way. Hopefully, Blogger will fix these glitches soon as it seems to be happening to quite a few people. I was never a fan of their new Blogger and I think it was wrong of them to take away the option allowing people to revert back to the previous Blogger.

I understand it's a free service and I'm grateful for that but I don't understand why they had to upgrade to one that seems to be glitchy. I hope the fix comes sooner than later for you.

They have all the new, modern looking Templates now which probably work great with the newer coding and I think that's what they are trying to push users toward. I feel that the new Templates are limited though as some of them seem to have done away with side-bars.

Sami said...

Hi Elizabeth, your link is up in my blog, albeit without an image, but still redirects to you. Just you and Mae are that way, don't know why.

Rita said...

It's like four murals in one! :)

Iris Flavia said...

Clever and beautiful one. Awww, the donkey is one of my favorites here. They are really talented, hard to believe this is done by kids, my respect is out to them!

Bertiebo said...

Cool, with the right quote

Rob Siemann said...

Excellent mural love the quote

NatureFootstep said...

there is a lot going on in this mural. :) The first part really nice. :)

We do have a mural in town that is soo long that it is impossible to include it all in one shot. It´s a pity as it is really beautiful when walking by.

Tom said...

...diversity is a wonderful thing particularly in the age of Trump!

Jackie McGuinness said...

I am lucky to live in a very diverse city although it is not without its problems.

Jeanie said...

You're right --- this does has a lot going on, but it's really quite impressive. I rather like it, but you do have to study it!

Linda said...

I love the subject and the colors. As far as Blogger, I don't have an answer but they are still changing things. Send them feedback and perhaps they will fix it.