Thursday, November 5, 2020

Rain's Thursday Art Date: Looking Down


Today is Thursday, which means we're meeting at Rain's for her Thursday Art Date.  This week the theme is Looking Down.

This theme stumped me, but I followed Rain's suggestions, and headed to my local art museum archives.

Bleubeard is certain the cat and the girl are looking down as the chess piece is being moved.
 
I originally took this photo because of the mixed media aspect.  There were real fabric pieces and a real yard stick in this 3-D painting.  I'm glad I captured this because it's a perfect example of looking down.

Although this is a bit hard to tell, it appears the child is looking down.

This is a Mary Cassatt.  I believe both mother and child are looking down.

I found this at another museum.  I remember feeling a twinge of sadness come over me.  This was such an emotional painting.  I truly believe the boy is looking down in sadness or possibly hopelessness.

In that same museum they were having a special viewing.  The child on the right is looking down.  Do you have any idea who Barry is?  I'll give you the answer at the end of the post.

Here's a mother looking down at her child at the Botanical Gardens.

I'm on the upper level looking down at the Botanical Gardens.

A special showing of art from the Wichita Art Museum that focused on Downton Abby.  This lady was looking down at the child.

Here is another image from that same series of paintings.  The people in this pen and ink drawing are reading the newspaper about the sinking of the Titanic.  It also explains the specific episode, too.

Also found at the Wichita Art Museum, this woman sitting on the edge of a bath tub is looking down.

This sculpture is by Charles Russell and is in the Wichita Art Museum.

Found in the restroom of a high-end restaurant, this is a bit difficult to explain.  All I know is, the creature on the right is looking down on the other creature.

Switching gears, it's time to see a few photos that are not found in museums.

In this outdoor sculpture, not only is one of the images looking down, it is facing down.

My foodie friend Sally is looking down at a menu.
And finally, here is the "man" of my life and the face of this blog looking down in at least three of these shots.

All photos taken by me.  Bleubeard was simply delighted, albeit a bit embarrassed, because I threw the spotlight on him and he got the last word.

Thank you ever so much for stopping by.  I am truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join me at Rain's Thursday Art Date.

Did you guess who Barry is?  This should help.

Former president Obama claimed he got his name from his father, but his accent and his values from his mother, who was born and raised in El Dorado, Kansas (USA), a small town about 30 miles east of Wichita.

I'm also joining AEDM where today, which is Day 5, I joined a linkup party and shared my own photos I have taken in various museums and around my home.


32 thoughtful remarks:

Elkes Lebensglück said...

A wonderful post about looking down, great ideas !!! Of course Bleubeard the main character, so cute!
Former president Obama is a great person!
Have a good day and Take care of yourself, hugs Elke

Valerie-Jael said...

Good morning Elizabeth! You found some good pieces for a difficult theme, I can't join in today because of my new challenge at MMM, this week was a lot of new challenges. I dreamed of you last night, you were cleaning out my storage room in the basement, and kept shouting, 'Order, order!' I do have a bad conscience that it hasn't been cleaned in such a long time, and then you said you ha cleaned out your basement, so my head must have joined the thoughts together! That was really funny! Have a fun day, stay safe! Hugs, Valerie

DVArtist said...

Wow you nailed it. These are fabulous "looking down" images. You are always to creative in your posts.

Iris Flavia said...

These days we sadly look down a lot...
I certainly recognized the little Barry, I read more than one book about this wonderful, charismatic president back then.

Unlike with Merkel I reckon many would be the happiest if they could´ve had him as leader for more years...
Crazy times. I hope we can look up again, soon!

RO said...

As soon as I saw August 4, 1961 and proof of his birth, I knew right away who that was.(lol) I remember that we're both Leos too. You give lots of great examples of looking down and captured the true feelings of what that could mean. Always creative. Hugs, RO

aussie aNNie said...

Great post and 'looking down' on it I find it's interesting. x

Christine said...

You went all out with the ‘looking down’ theme Elizabeth such a wonderful selection. I love that statue piece and thanks for sharing the Barry mystery!

Karen said...

Lot's of great examples in art and photos for Rain's theme ~ Enjoy the weekend!

Barbara said...

E...and B...thank you! The first photo is especially touching. I don’t play chess but just watched the movie “The Queen’s Gambit” on Netflix. Highly recommend it! The Mary Cassatt painting is also especially meaningful for me. After having 3 boys, we later had a girl, and Mary Cassatt became a favorite artist in our home. The piece with the sad boy is extremely thought-provoking. I just read your most recent comment on Kathyinozarks blog, you go girl and thank you for some sanity there. Our Democracy is working.

Barbara said...

PS...I have been missing Barry desperately!

Mia said...

The mixed media one with the child reminds me of Klimt "kiss". Thank you for sharing all these interesting photos, Elizabeth. Kisses!

Dawn said...

I really enjoy your talent with the mixed media art. I'd love to give it a try but have no idea where or how to start.
Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

Divers and Sundry said...

I enjoyed your art museum photos :) I know who Barry is! It's been good to see him take an active role in this election. As the counting continues, it's the calm voices of reason I value most.

Birgit said...

I love the way you captured looking down. I love all the paintings you chose for Mary Cassatt to, I think, a Klimt. I could be wrong but it looks like one of his paintings.

NatureFootstep said...

many good ones on Rains theme this week. My favorite is the first one, the watching cat :)

da tabbies o trout towne said...

dood !!!! lookin good buddy; grate ta see ya on de blog two day !!! and hay, we agreez on foto one; gurl and cat iz lookin down !!! ~~~~~~~ with wavez two ewe squiggles ♥♥☺☺

Gillena Cox said...

Beautiful versions of the prompt. Thanks for dropping by my blog today

Much💙love

craftytrog said...

A wonderful post Elizabeth! I love that collage of the mother and child, and of course Bleubeard is looking very handsome.
Alison xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Great finds for Rains theme today, the first painting is fabulous, classic with a modern take. The Mother & Child collage is magnificent, I like it even more having to search deeper to make out what it is and the restroom pic reminds me of many Gustav Kilmt's all merged into one. Super painting really wasted in a rest room, i'd like it on my wall.
I can't believe it's AEDM already where has this year gone??
Hope you are keeping well & your election results will be to your advantage.. You all stay safe & thank you for explaining about Barry :)) Hugs Tracey xx

Mae Travels said...

Your selection of photos and paintings is fascinating. You have suggested so many reasons why a subject would be looking down, not just emotional reactions. I recognized the Obama images. Just thinking about him is sad: so much promise for our country, such a ruin. I still have hopes that tonight or tomorrow will be encouraging.

Be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Sandra Cox said...

My favorites are the first painting and pics of Bluebeard.
I had no idea that Barack's momma was from Kansas. A nice factoid.
Enjoyed the post.
Take special care.

My name is Erika. said...

I think you really nailed looking down. I can see it in all these pieces. It's a tough topic. Hope you had a good Thursday! Hugs-Erika

Rita said...

Looking down was a tough one but you nailed it--any times! Wow! :)

Words and Pictures said...

Well, Looking Down might have stumped you initially but my word you knocked it out of the ball park in the end! What a wonderful collection of pictures and paintings. Just beautiful how the cumulative effect builds as you work through the post. Ahhh... Barry - if only.
Alison x

Let's Art Journal said...

What a wonderful collection of artworks and photos for this theme! I think I would have been stumped too ...lol 😀. Loving the broncho rider sculpture and of course the photos you took of Bluebeard, he's so handsome! Take care! Happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! I thought you were stumped so well done for finding such a wide variety on the topic! Big Thank You to Bleubeard for being such a poser(ooh sorry B, didn't mean it like that - I think you posed very nicely) Hugs, Chrisx

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Your selection of art is wonderful and the fact that everyone is somehow looking down is only incidental. Love your Foodie friend and of course, love that little Bleubeard boy:) I didn't know that Barrack's Mother was from Kansas ... interesting bit of news. She sure had some good values to pass on to her son ... Kansas must be a grounded place.
I am late with my comments because I am trying to deal with this crazy election. As if having a Covid pandemic wasn't bad enough, we now have basically a hung jury in our elections. Where does all of this end? Anyway, I loved your museum art and Botanical Garden pictures ... you and I would have great times together as we seem to enjoy going to the same places. Stay safe, my friend ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

Lowcarb team member said...

What a wonderful post, your ideas were all perfect for the theme of looking down.
Of course, always nice to see Bleubeard :)

My good wishes.

All the best Jan

Serena Lewis said...

Some great takes for the 'Looking Down' challenge! Interesting info re. Barack Obama.

nwilliams6 said...

Wow, you found some awesome looking down pictures. My favorite is Bleubeard, of course, although your friend Sally is cool too. Great pictures - I totally enjoyed this post, Elizabeth. Hugz

Rain said...

Hi Elizabeth! :) You don't seem stumped to me! You found a LOT of great looking down art!!! I felt the emotion looking at that sad little boy painting...that's really great. That outdoor sculpture is lovely! Great finds!!!

Jeanie said...

Nice interpretations. I think that one collage reminds me of Klimt's The Kiss. Very diverse -- lots of good thinking outside the box!