Friday, November 6, 2020

Friday Smiles 395: another museum


 It's Friday, so let's join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) along with the wonderful ladies at Friday Smiles.

 
Actually, this is not a museum, but our new library.

Last year, Sally wanted to go to Seniors Day, and she invited me as her guest.  

We had a short look around the library, then got a free cup of coffee and a donut and went to the next place.

I am fairly certain several of you who don't like museums (personally, I LOVE them) were scrolling along until you saw this.


Actually, I'm not sure our Botanical Garden is truly a museum, but that's how it's listed under museums in Wichita, Kansas (USA).

This is called the living wall, and I want one someday.  



There are plants on both sides, as well as in the center.


Directly behind the living wall

is this display of various trains that run through this area. 






I got a bit carried away, especially since this post is being created in the new blogger, which sucks.





Note the Wichita, Kansas flag.

Did you notice the carousel?  That is new this year.







I found this statue in the garden surrounded by some lovely flowers.

I'm sure some of you can tell me what these flowers are.

Now let's head over to Annie's because she knows how to put a smile on everyone's faces.  And whatever you do, please don't forget to start your weekend off right with a few Friday Smiles of your own.  And remember, if you would like to play along, Annie would love to have you join us.   

This is Day 6 of AEDM and I joined a link-up party where I shared photos from our Botanical Gardens.

 

27 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

the gardens look lovely, I really like the living wall.

Valerie-Jael said...

That's a beautiful garden, and the living wall is fantastic. Your library is huge. Our's here is tiny. I love the train display, too. My husband had a big collection of model trains and engines, he was always fascinated by them, I gave them to a museum when he died. Fun post! Have a safe day, hugs, Valerie

mamapez5 said...

Hi Elizabeth. As you know, I am not a huge fan of museums but I love botanical gardens. The 'living wall' is beautiful. I can see why that appeals to you. I also love the minature railway and they tree sculpture. And that dark purple plant really makes a statement amongst all the greens.
The library looks lovely. I went round a huge modern one like that when I visited my son in Aahus, Denmark.
I hope you are managing to keep well. Kate x

Words and Pictures said...

What a glorious place! A combination of some of my favourite things... botanical gardens and a model train layout - magic! Obviously with my dollshouse background, miniature landscapes always appeal. Have you come across Wunderland? The most amazing acres of miniature world in Hamburg - largest model railway in the world, but it's not just about the railway. There's loads on youtube - just a taster for you It's breathtaking!

Thank you for your amazing comment on my leafy tags - I have to say even if I used it for nothing else, my BigShot would have earned its keep in making leaves and wildflower stems. If you are patient, they turn up on eBay all the time, often very cheaply, at least they do here in the UK... just saying!

Hope you have a great weekend.
Alison x

Iris Flavia said...

The living wall is beautiful.
Fun to see BECK´s there, oh, and the carousel!
What a nice "museum"!

Barbara said...

The garden statue is WONDERFUL!

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a fabulous post and there is a lot here to make you smile! Those botanical gardens are just gorgeous and I love the living wall with its beautiful colours and different foliage - gorgeous 😁. Happy Friday and weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Mae Travels said...

As a lover of museums and gardens, I appreciate your post very much. Your library looks good. Wish that libraries were safer now.

Living walls are really great. I have seen some good ones, including in the Paris airport and at Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania. Also, a couple of years ago we saw a fabulous Christmas display of model trains at an indoor greenhouse garden in Pittsburgh (where there are also some excellent museums).

So I really love your photos!

be safe!... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Annie said...

Well Elizabeth you've really found something to make me smile this week. That living wall is stunning and the model railway is fab too...especially the little goat on top of the camper van :-)
Hugs,
Annie x

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun trip. I could spend all day at the library. The botanical gardens are beautiful and that living wall is so cool. The details of the model railroad are amazing. The people waiting for their train, the buildings. The goat on top of the camper made me laugh. Have a good day.

Lisca said...

What a wonderful garden! I could spend all day there. That 'living wall' is stunning! We are trying to do something similar with the rockery. That is like a wall too. In the spring we will buy small rockery plants and shove them in between the stones.
I love the train photos. Trains in the US are so different to European ones.
The model railway is such fun. I spotted the carousel too. And the Wichita flag (you have shown it many times and I recognize it easily).
The plant you showed at the end is (in my humble opinion) an 'impatiens hybrid'. There are so many colours and types of impatiens. But they are all pretty to look at. They make one smile.
Have a lovely weekend,
Lisca

Divers and Sundry said...

Calling a place a museum or garden is the best way of getting me there. Always interesting :) That's a lovely garden! There's a lot of interest there besides the plants, too. I'd be there all day.

craftytrog said...

Those gardens are really beautiful Elizabeth!
Happy Friday!
Alison xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh My! I want to visit these gardens! The living wall with those fabulous contrasting colours ....wonderful! The model railway looks fascinating too, We used to to a model railway exhibition in Carnforth - the railway that was made famous in the film Brief Encounter. The little houses look very detailed! Have great weekend, Chrisx

NatureFootstep said...

wow, that is a beautiful wall for sure! I would want one too.

Sandra Cox said...

Love, love, love your botanical garden and the miniature train station.
And free coffee and a donut? Can't beat it.
Have a joyful weekend, my friend.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

what a fun post today Elizabeth !!! thanx for sharin...yur right, that wall is AMAZING; I'd like to have something like that as well...AWESOME !! ☺☺ ♥

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

What a great place to visit, all those gorgeous flowers and the miniature town. I love the wall but my favourite has to be the statue it is a brilliant work of art. Sorry I'm late today, been busy making baby journals. Take care and big hugs, Angela xXx

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks for these lovely photographs.
The garden looks beautiful and I like the living wall.
So nice to see a train display too, pre Covid I enjoyed visiting places like this, but we are currently in lockdown. Hopefully next year visits can start again.

All the best Jan

Victor S E Moubarak said...

What a lovely post. I enjoyed visiting.

God bless.

Rita said...

That living wall is amazing! Love it!
Model trains are always fun to look at. :)

My name is Erika. said...

Did you get your new internet today? You must be excited. And I love museums too. Your library is nice architecture! And the Botanical Garden is really lovely, especially that living wall. Wow! I can see why you'd like one. The stonework is beautiful in it also and it must be wonderful to walk around it. Nice post today. Hugs-Erika

Naomi (Angel Numbers) said...

The living wall looks so pretty. I also wish to have it someday! Regards, Naomi Black Butterfly

Serena Lewis said...

Those gardens are beautiful! What a great place to visit.

nwilliams6 said...

Such fun pictures. Great discovery and great share here, Elizabeth. Outdoor art is especially cool during these times! Love all these pictures. Hugz

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Anyone who gets an opportunity to visit a botanical garden is fortunate. Even if the photos were from last year, it's still nice to see.

Jeanie said...

I am a huge fan of rock walls and seeing those remind me of a painting. Love the little train. This garden is a treasure!