Thursday, October 8, 2020

Rain's Thursday Art Date: Scarecrows


Today is Thursday, which means we're meeting at Rain's for her Thursday Art Date.  This week the theme is Scarecrows.

I created this Artist Trading Card for a challenge.  Here's what I wrote:
With tornadoes all around us, I thought of the scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz. At least he knew to come in out of the storms!
Back when UHU (a glue I used to design for) was looking for a new UHU Gluer, each of us who worked for UHU sent out a message sharing the project we were offering.

When I shared this on my blog, I advised:
TIP: Those of you who read my blog are more than likely altered artists and might feel the materials they have to use are too "scrapbooky" or not your style. Well, I have to admit, if I had to use these pieces, they wouldn't be my style either. However, you can always paint the scrapbook paper, color or sand the buttons (even stick them inside crushed bottle caps), and dry brush gesso over the papers. No one says you can't alter the paper and the other materials you will receive. Use your gel pens, oil pastels, watercolors, fluid acrylics, glazes, or even fabric to change the feel of the piece.

I'm not sure how I'd handle the scarecrow, but I believe I'd find a cabinet card or magazine image and cut the head off the scarecrow and replace it with a more "vintage" image, then mount it on a sheet of vintage sheet music and go from there. So don't be turned off by the materials. They can always be altered to YOUR style, and you can use those found objects you've been saving for just this project.
The ATC was created by me and the photo of the UHU challenge image was taken by me.  Bleubeard remembers he was just a young boy when I became a UHU Gluer.  He wishes we could return to those (pre-Squiggles) times.  I know this is a puny showing this week, but at least I was able to share something.

Thank you ever so much for stopping by.  I am truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join me at Rain's Thursday Art Date.
 

22 thoughtful remarks:

Kokopelli said...

Like your scarecrows, both of them. I just knew I wanted to create a big friendly sscarecrow for today's TAD, not a scary one. That was all. *LOL* Have a great day!

Valerie-Jael said...

Nice Work. No Internet Here. Have a great day

Iris Flavia said...

I love your scarecrow! It´s perfect, really spooky! Mine was without a face after the squirrel attacked...

craftytrog said...

Great scarecrow art Elizabeth! Back when I was young, we had a brilliant TV programme about a scarecrow called Wurzel Gummidge. They did a remake of it last Christmas, but it wasn't a patch on the original. By the way, UHU is my choice of glue stick for my collages 😊
Have a good day,
Alison xx

Elkes Lebensglück said...


The scarecrow card is great, I like it, it's not creepy and you can always use or change the things for something else as you explained.
Have a beautful week, hug, Elke

Rain said...

Hi Elizabeth :)) Nice post! We were on the same wavelength! :) He had a brain all along didn't he? I love that movie! Great tips with the project box pieces, what a fun job! :)

Valerie-Jael said...

You got some fun pieces together!
Here the day got off to a bad start - no electricity, no heating, no internet, no phone. And it's cold. And no electricity meant no coffee. And the trams and buses are on strike again, hell's bells, what a friggin' day!Electricity is back on, and internet, but no heating, and it's cold! Hope your day is better, hugs, Valerie

Cathy Kennedy said...

Elizabeth,

Every time I think of scarecrows I think of The Wizard of Oz. I believe we all find our minds drifting that way. I briefly thought about sketching the scarecrow from the movie but I went a different direction as usual. Nice contribution for this week, my dear. Have an artastic day!

Curious as a Cathy

My name is Erika. said...

I like your scarecrows. That ATC is a great image. And that advice you shared is very true. And a nice reminder also. Hope your week is going well. Hugs-Erika

Barbara said...

Love your ATC scarecrow!

Nancy said...

I thought Wizard of Oz as soon as I saw your ATC and before reading the words. It's one of my favorite movies. Bleubeard was just a lad then? And the only child... just the way he liked it! Cats are funny creatures, aren't they?

Christine said...

Beautiful scarecrow aceo!

Divers and Sundry said...

I like your scarecrow. I re-watched Dead Birds the other day, so "scarecrow" brings a different kind of image to me ;)

Gillena Cox said...

Really lovely creations

Mine is HERE

(✿◠‿◠)

much love...

DVArtist said...

I love that scarecrow card. Kind of dark and eerie. Ya know my kind of thing. Have a great day.

Sami said...

Scarecrows remind me of planted fields with scarecrows in the middle of them to scare the birds.
Nice cards Elizabeth

da tabbies o trout towne said...

bleu and squiggles; we think EVEREE yard shuld haza scare crow ....and if yur in de citee; a scare crow at EVEREE korner !!!!

we noe, ewe noe, why !!! ☺☺☺♥♥♥

Sandra Cox said...

Purrfect piece for the season:)

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

So interesting to read about your past position Elizabeth and you will now have me singing that song all night now hee hee!! Fab ATC, I loved the scarecrow in the wizard of oz, as Alison said above we had Wurzel Gummige great childhood memories of Saturday TV..
Take care Tracey xx

aussie aNNie said...

Absolutely interesting post. x

NatureFootstep said...

interesting story. :) The scarecrows shirt looks a bit as one of my old ones :)
Take care!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Not puny at all ... very informative and interesting. And your scarecrow should find his heart ... maybe you could glue one on for him. My big little boy cat Chachi agrees with Bleubeard. He would love to be young again and if he could turn the clock back he wouldn't have to miss his brother so much. But, life goes on and we grow old with it. I don't think that will ever change and for sure not in my life time. You always have a delightful post and I always love hearing about Bleubeard. Stay safe, my friend.

Andrea @ From the Sol