Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Extreme lightening


I'm once again joining Chris of Pear Shaped Crafting, our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her theme Hold the Line.

You can tell how I got the title of this post. 

I was gifted with this old 2015 calendar and saw how the lightening looked like lines across the sky.

I did a LOT of sewing on this page.

I rotated the page so you can see the title I added as an afterthought.

Somehow I thought I had fixed my scanner, which is why I decided to scan this rather than photograph it.  Sadly, that is not the case, as you can see from the lighter line along the right side of the scan.

One thing I learned was there are many different types of lightening.
 
For example, the upper left is cloud to ground lightening.  There's also a bit of cloud to cloud in the background of that image, too.  The small image sewn into the larger image to the right is ground to cloud lightening.  The lightening in the larger image is called dry lightening.  It occurs even when there is no rain involved.  It also exhibits traits of smooth channel lightening, a type of cloud to ground lightening that has no visible branching.
 
The long slice with the small photo is a cloud to ground lightening that was so powerful it started the fire on the ground, and the small photo sewed in the larger is staccato lightening which often appears as a single flash that is very bright in the night sky.  Occasionally the tendrils will be visible, as in the photo.
 
I hope you learned something about lightening other than to NOT take a shower or wash dishes during a lightening storm.  I appreciate you stopping by today.  Please also join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Holding the line.
 

25 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

That's a beautiful page, nd lots and lots of lovely sewing! Sorry you didn't get the scanner fixed as you wanted it. Have a fun day, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Awww, beautiful! This year we had lightening only once, and certainly not that extreme. I´ll have a look if I find such a calendar, too! Love your work!

Mae Travels said...

Those are stunning images. I was once on a plane that flew past a lightening storm in clouds we could watch. Totally awesome! You can see why the Norse and Greek gods were gifted with the control of lightening!

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

aussie aNNie said...

I don't mind lightening and these images are fabulous. Thanks for your kind comments. I am restricted to commenting a little as the stupid robot either won't let me post a comment or makes me pick ruddy pictures....hugs. x

My name is Erika. said...

Those are fabulous photos Elizabeth. That's such a great idea for Chris' theme. Lightning sure does make cool lines. As we've had this draught, we haven't had lots of thunderstorms this year. Although scary I've also missed the lightening. Hope your week is going well. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Fabulous! I love watching thunder and lightening storms. A thrill when a lightening bolt forks. I hope clear weather is on your horizon for today.

kathyinozarks said...

This is an awesome page Elizabeth, and great interpertation of the theme

Meggymay said...

A fabulous page and inspiration. I don't mind seeing the lightening from a safe distance inside my home but the noise of the thunder I could well do wothout.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Rajani singh said...

Fabulous post

Rajani singh said...

Please read my post

Divers and Sundry said...

There's excitement in the air!

Cindy McMath said...

Wonderful page Elizabeth! I love lightening storms as long as they’re at a safe distance and it’s not too dry. :)

Karen said...

WoW ~ Extreme is right ~ Lightening in beautiful and frightening at the same time and thunder makes it that much more so. The only time I dislike seeing it is when a storm starts brewing and your on a boat way off shore fishing. ~ Blessings to you

DVArtist said...

Ohhhh this is gorgeous! I love this lightening art the colors are so rich. Have a good day.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

I'm a fan of lightning; I know I'm strange and or weird...with that said and without "reading" this post; it rocks.......really nice piece Elizabeth !!

N wavez two ewe bleu N squigglez, heerz two a grate wednesday !! ☺☺♥♥

Sandra said...

Ooh, I love all these sewn, colorful examples of lightning.
And the information that went with them.
Thumbs up:)
Stay safe. Be healthy.

craftytrog said...

A fabulous page Elizabeth, great idea for Chris' theme!
Alison xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow Elizabeth! This is spectacular - the lightening pics are amazing! We used to have neighbour when I was little who would turn up at the first sound of thunder and ask if she could hide in our big cupboard!
The added stitching to this makes me very happy that you have made this for my theme at AJJ, Hugs, Chrisx

Sharon Madson said...

Awesome, Elizabeth! It is really a striking creation. :)

Rita said...

I've always been fascinated by lightning!! Great entry! :)

Neet said...

I am not a happy bunny when it is lightening. Mum was scared and I suppose that is where I got it from but I do remember when I was in my early 20's a young man I knew got hit on his zip (fly) sheltering under a tree with his fil and was killed. He was the brother of a schoolfriend of mine so I know it was true.
Thanks for the lesson on different types of lightening, I just thought there was fork and sheet - surprising what one can learn.
I love your page in your journal. I love the colours of the pictures and the way you have arranged the various photographs. Of course the stitching always fascinates me and so I must say it enhances everything on that page.
Hugs to you all
Neet xxx

Sandra Cox said...

Purrect piece for the season.

Sandra Cox said...

Whoops scrolled down too far:)

sirkkis said...

The lines look fantastic on the photos of lightening. I like the colors as well.
I'm glad your internet is working again.
Wishing you happy weekend and a good week ahead ♥️

nwilliams6 said...

Beautiful colors and photos of lightening. I love how you sewed it all. Amazing to see all the different types. I have to admit I didn't realize there were different types of lightening so I learned a lot visiting you today. Awesome creations - TFS!!! Hugz