Friday, October 9, 2020

What's my line? (because there is no Friday Smiles this week)


Annie (at A Stitch in Time) is on hiatus this week, so there will be no Friday Smiles.  That means I'm back to share this Art Journal Journey entry using Chris of Pear Shaped Crafting's theme Hold the Line.

I was fairly certain there had been a television show called "What's My Line," so I looked it up.   It appears every week, four panelists got to guess the line of the person whose line was in question.  There was always also a mystery guest who was a celebrity.  For the mystery guest round the panelists were blindfolded.

Contestants wrote their name on a board when they came out.  Apparently, it was a black board,

not a colorful one like Susy Q got to use.

It appears Susy is multi-talented.  First, she is an electrical engineer.

She is also an Animal Activist and apparently an artist, too.

At times, she's a food critic.

At other times, a fashion designer.  Will she fool the panel? 

For this page, I began with a sheet of 110 lb cardstock to which I added the name I colored using a dye ink pad and cut from a used file folder.  I found images from various magazines I thought would be appropriate lines of work and added them using a glue stick.

I really appreciate you stopping by today.  Please also join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey.

19 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Very clever! Nothing more to add!

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a good one. I remember that programme from my misspent youth, back in the time with tiny b/w TVs and one, later 2 programmes! Have a great day, take care, Valerie

Mia said...

What a lovely page, Elizabeth! How beautifully you combined all the images together! Great inspiration, my dear friend. Kisses!

sheila 77 said...

This is an ingenious take on the theme.
I remember this programme. It was a great success here.
I like all the fancy labels, the matching pictures you have used and the fancy striped (not black) board.
I think I also know which picture Bleubeard suggested.
Love from Sheila

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth. I know there's no Annie but just had to pop over to see what you're up to. I'd completely forgotten 'What's My Line' we used to watch that here in the UK years ago. Loving your interpretation of the theme. Hugs, Angela xXx

nwilliams6 said...

Very cool memory and cool representation of the show. Your girl is very talented doing all those things - but it possible for sure! Great way to interpret the challenge - love the direction you took on this! So fun, Hugz

My name is Erika. said...

This is a great take on Chris' challenge Elizabeth. I'd forgotten about this show! I like your take on this challenge and how fun this page is. Have a great start to your weekend. Hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

Your readers all appear to have been TV watchers back in the day. Me too. My family watched that together. I remember the panelists though not so much any of the individual contestants, except that they had very unusual occupations. I think each panelist was allowed to ask one or two yes-no questions of the guest to narrow down their occupation.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Meggymay said...

A trip down memory lane for many of us after seeing your great take on that program. It was black and white TV for us then and we had to be quiet as it was grans favourite program.
A super idea for Chris's theme.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous page! Such a great design with all the different images and lines - brilliant 😀. Enjoy the rest of your week! Hugs, Jo x

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun page. I remember watching that game show as a kid.

Divers and Sundry said...

I remember watching that show when I was little. They had some fascinating guests.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

I watched what's my line in me "yooth"... back when tv was good !!! fun post today Elizabeth !!! ☺☺♥♥

DVArtist said...

Yep, "What's my line" was a must see TV in my household. Good way to make us remember.
Hey did you get a package from me? Let me know.

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is absolutely bloomin' brilliant! I laughed and then sighed over the memories of watching this with my family as a youngster! The host here in the UK was a favourite of my Mum's - Eammon Andrews! I love the page as much as the memory Elizabeth so a double Thank you for your latest fabulous page for my 'Hold The Line' theme at Art Journal Journey! psThe colourful board is much better than a blackboard! Hugs, Chrisx

Pam said...

I remember the TV show very well from when I was a kid, good show back then! And I remember all the panelists, esp Arlene Francis, I was fascinated with her diamond heart-shaped necklace and knew I wanted one when I was older. Great page here, I'm envious of your artistic ability!!! I would have the glue stick on everything... 😏

Lisca said...

What a fun page! I had never heard of that program, so I googled it and spent some time watching old episodes. I just watched one with Mrs. Roosevelt! Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIOiffc85TM
Although it is not Friday Smiles, you did make me smile.
Have a great weekend,
Lisca

Rita said...

I remember watching What's My Line! Goodness, that was a long time ago. Was a very popular show at the time. Great fun! :)

Jeanie said...

I really like how this piece works on so many different levels. It's fun, fits the theme and lots to look at. Nice!

Thanks for your recent visits! And especially for all your nice words!