Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Birthday balloons

Some of you may have noticed I've been offline for nearly three days.  Three separate times I lost electricity.  Each time, I was able to visit a few people before the electricity went out again.  The third time, I was leaving a comment for Valerie when I heard a huge BOOM and the windows shook and the walls felt like I was in an earthquake.  If you've ever been in an earthquake, you know what I'm talking about.  The bad thing is, the temperature overnight was about 25 degrees F (3,9 degrees C) both nights.  I huddled with the boys and stayed under three blankets.  My hands may never get warm.  Now I am back, hopefully in time to finish this post and publish it before I lose electricity again.  I'll be by to visit as time (and warmth) permits.  Now let's create some art, please.

I'm back today to share this Art Journal Journey entry using Chris of Pear Shaped Crafting's theme Hold the Line.

I call this Birthday balloons for obvious reasons.

This is a tape transfer

I sewed

to the book pages.

I began with 110 lb cardstock which I colored using two shades of green staz-on and 91% isopropyl alcohol.  I found the balloons in a book and created a tape transfer, which is rather hit and miss.  When I realized I was rubbing the lines away that held the balloons, I stopped rubbing so hard.  That's why the balloons show better in some areas than in others.  The lines holding the balloons are for Chris's theme at Art Journal Journey and if I lost them, there would be no reason to continue.

Next I sewed the tape transfer to the book pages.  BTW, when was the last time you read about adding machines?  Finally, I sewed the words Birthday balloons to the page.  All sewing was with variegated threads that matched the colors of the balloons.

I really appreciate your visit today.  Please also join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey.



10 thoughtful remarks:

Mae Travels said...

Welcome back and I hope you now have reliable electricity! I definitely noticed that you were missing, and I was worried about you, kept checking your blog for a sign that you were ok.

I wonder if the "boom" was a transformer being knocked out. We had that problem for a while because our neighborhood needed a new piece of equipment that would handle increasing demand as people used more and more air conditioning, washers, dish washers, etc. The electric company resisted doing anything, but they finally put in more capacity.

stay safe and be well !!! mae at maefood.blogspot.com

kathyinozarks said...

so sorry you had no electricity-no fun being cold that is worse than being too hot I think.
I love this piece very much-welcome back and happy new week Kathy

Sharon Madson said...

Birthday balloons for Bleubeard and I? LOL. Happy Birthday. Bleubeard! Sorry about your electricity!

Rita said...

I hope your electric gets sorted out!!
I love the balloons!! :)

Iris Flavia said...

Wow, honestly. I thankfully never had been in an earthquake - nor have I ever lost electricity. Never!
Is the company paying at least for the "inconvenience"? What happens all the time?

I love the card and look up tape transfer now!

My name is Erika. said...

I love this happy piece, and so perfect as today and tomorrow are the hubby and then my daughter's birthdays. Using the tape transfer was really great. I'd forgotten about that, but I just love how the text peeks out from the balloon. Very glad your power is back. Hope everything else is good with you! Hugs-Erika

Neet said...

That must have been so scary Elizabeth, thank goodness you had your two boys with you at the time. I only once experienced a slight earthquake when I was in California staying with a friend. It was nothing much but I did feel something so for something on the scale you are talking it must have been awful.
Never mind, your beautiful balloons are cheery and hopefully have brightened your day now. Great tape transferring!
Hugs, Neet xxx

Divers and Sundry said...

I love how you arranged these balloons. And the stitching, of course :)

Jeanie said...

This is such a wonderfully happy post! How you managed happy with all going on with your power/internet/etc. is beyond me, but well done. There's something about the color on that page that makes me smile!

Eileen Bergen said...

Your balloons came out great! They have a watercolor look. So at first I thought you painted them. I have to play with tape transfers when I can find the time. Lovely page! HUgs, Eileen